Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BU2014

New

Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby BU2014 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 pm

I've known I've wanted to go to law school since freshman year of college. When I graduated college I told myself I'd work for a year and take some time off and then apply and then i'll feel "ready". Fast forward to now I feel like I'm just biding time (working low salary entry level jobs) before I do what i ultimately want to do (law school) because I still don't feel like I can keep up with law school.

This mostly comes from browsing the Linkedins of law students and seeing their ridiculous legal experience before even going to law school. All I have done is work for a government office for the last year and a legal internship in college.

What I'm really trying to ask...is it normal to feel not prepared for law school BECAUSE you see the caliber of other law students/applicants and you feel like you aren't at that level?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Well considering there isn't really anything that prepares you for the law school learning and exam style, you'll be in the same position as everyone else.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Re: Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby Damage Over Time » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 pm

BU2014 wrote:This mostly comes from browsing the Linkedins of law students and seeing their ridiculous legal experience before even going to law school. All I have done is work for a government office for the last year and a legal internship in college.

Honestly the legal internship / gov't office work is pretty solid as far as experience is concerned. I didn't have any legal experience when I started LS (had a year of totally unrelated work experience) and I was mostly just shocked at how many K-JDs there were at my school.

You may never feel "ready" and that's okay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”