Wait for waivers or submit apps ASAP?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DistrictDisaster

Wait for waivers or submit apps ASAP?

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am

Got my LSAT score last night so now pretty much ready to go - only some more Why X essays to write.

3.95/171 plus PhD / 5 years legal research experience. Should I just get my apps in ASAP or is it reasonable to wait a week or two to see if I get offered any fee waivers? I already asked for one from Northwestern and was given one, but obviously I'd like to get as many as possible to save money. Not sure how likely I am to get more with my stats, and I realize not everyone offers them.

My list:

GWU
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia (ha - just for kicks)
Chicago
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Penn

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Cmoney $$

Re: Wait for waivers or submit apps ASAP?

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:Got my LSAT score last night so now pretty much ready to go - only some more Why X essays to write.

3.95/171 plus PhD / 5 years legal research experience. Should I just get my apps in ASAP or is it reasonable to wait a week or two to see if I get offered any fee waivers? I already asked for one from Northwestern and was given one, but obviously I'd like to get as many as possible to save money. Not sure how likely I am to get more with my stats, and I realize not everyone offers them.

My list:

GWU
Georgetown
NYU
Chicago
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Penn

Thoughts? Thanks!!

I asked for one from GULC and got it. My stats are not as high as yours, FWIW.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am

Take GW off the list. It's a waste of an app with your numbers.

Ntp73821

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:Got my LSAT score last night so now pretty much ready to go - only some more Why X essays to write.

My list:

GWU
Georgetown
NYU
Chicago
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Penn

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Northwestern has a form and gives everyone a waiver.
https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... eWaiverReq

I have a fee waiver to all of the rest of those schools except GWU and Columbia with numbers significantly lower than yours. Don't jump the gun, wait for the waivers. Definitely not worth blowing that much money when you're going to get waivers to those schools.

allezallez21

Postby allezallez21 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am

Also considering this myself.

I think you should wait. Applying now vs. in two weeks is likely to be a very minuscule difference in terms of chances for admission, but saving hundreds of dollars in fees is a big thing. I would actually go ahead and email schools and politely ask for a waiver. That could get the ball rolling.

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks all, this is extremely helpful. I'll finish my essays and sit for a week or two and see what comes in. Northwestern waiver is in hand but the rest silent so far. Anything that doesn't offer one, I may ask.

GWU is on my list because I live in DC and my husband has a good job here. Staying in DC is the practical thing to do for us as a family, and there are a lot of GWU alums at my firm so I know good performance at GWU can lead to decent opportunities. I'm also interested in IP...and also interested that they offer full scholarships. That said, I hear you and have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Also thinking of adding Harvard to my list - if hell froze over and I got in, maybe would be good leverage for scholarships? Because of my age really focused on the best intersection between $$ and post-graduate opportunity rather than simple prestige/ranking.

Thank you again! So appreciate the advice.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:Because of my age really focused on the best intersection between $$ and post-graduate opportunity rather than simple prestige/ranking.

That's the right thing to focus on, but unfortunately, they're not totally separate considerations with law schools. If you know that you can come back to your firm with a GW degree, go there for free. But if that's only an option for someone who performs in the top third of the class, be careful of putting all your eggs in that basket. You should have a lot of cheap/free options in the lower T13 with your numbers (think UVA if you want to stay close to home), and it's probably worth shooting an app at Harvard just for the negotiating power.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am

You should definitely apply to Harvard and UVA. I think you should ask for fee waivers everywhere and then apply to schools as they come in. Worth waiting a couple weeks if schools are that slow getting back to you

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:Because of my age really focused on the best intersection between $$ and post-graduate opportunity rather than simple prestige/ranking.

That's the right thing to focus on, but unfortunately, they're not totally separate considerations with law schools. If you know that you can come back to your firm with a GW degree, go there for free. But if that's only an option for someone who performs in the top third of the class, be careful of putting all your eggs in that basket. You should have a lot of cheap/free options in the lower T13 with your numbers (think UVA if you want to stay close to home), and it's probably worth shooting an app at Harvard just for the negotiating power.

Thanks for the advice! For some reason I don't want to go to UVA - I don't know why. Ok, I do know why. I think it's Charlottesville.

Fortunately neither of us is from the area so if we moved, we could basically move anywhere that wasn't offputting. A big part of me is rooting for the two Chicago schools on my list, though I recognize that U of C is a big reach and even if accepted it's doubtful they'd give me much in the way of $$.

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 am

Well I just got an email from the Mitchell Hamline School of Law re: no application fee, so I guess decision is made.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! For some reason I don't want to go to UVA - I don't know why. Ok, I do know why. I think it's Charlottesville.

Fortunately neither of us is from the area so if we moved, we could basically move anywhere that wasn't offputting. A big part of me is rooting for the two Chicago schools on my list, though I recognize that U of C is a big reach and even if accepted it's doubtful they'd give me much in the way of $$.

I want to respond to two separate veins of this. There is nothing obligating you to apply to UVA at all, but because it's in Charlottesville is not a great reason to rule it out. I think it's really short-sighted to limit your options of similar quality educations and potential cost discounts because of the events that happened in Charlottesville. There are a ton of great things about UVA that people across the social and political spectrum love. If you're at all interested in learning about those positive things and why casting UVA solely in the light of the white nationalist riots of this past summer and that entire cultural earthquake, feel free to PM me to discuss. There are a lot of reasons to pick another school over UVA (cost and particular career goals are chief among them, but liking bigger cities more, just liking the vibe of another school more, and countless others are all valid as well).

Second, is your PhD in a technical/science field? If so, you can keep GW on the list because it does well in IP relative to the rest of its placement. You're a rare-ish law school applicant, and if you're a EE PhD looking to go to into patent work or something like that, you're employable from any of those schools, so going to the cheapest one could be your best answer, particularly if your husband can keep his job and maintain a better life continuity (this would be another great reason to pick a school like GULC for cheap over Chicago for a lesser scholarship or something like that).

Anyway, now that your score is official, you should just start seeking out waivers and send in apps as those requests come back. They usually have a pretty quick turnaround.

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 pm

UVA2B wrote:
I want to respond to two separate veins of this. There is nothing obligating you to apply to UVA at all, but because it's in Charlottesville is not a great reason to rule it out. I think it's really short-sighted to limit your options of similar quality educations and potential cost discounts because of the events that happened in Charlottesville. There are a ton of great things about UVA that people across the social and political spectrum love. If you're at all interested in learning about those positive things and why casting UVA solely in the light of the white nationalist riots of this past summer and that entire cultural earthquake, feel free to PM me to discuss. There are a lot of reasons to pick another school over UVA (cost and particular career goals are chief among them, but liking bigger cities more, just liking the vibe of another school more, and countless others are all valid as well).

Second, is your PhD in a technical/science field? If so, you can keep GW on the list because it does well in IP relative to the rest of its placement. You're a rare-ish law school applicant, and if you're a EE PhD looking to go to into patent work or something like that, you're employable from any of those schools, so going to the cheapest one could be your best answer, particularly if your husband can keep his job and maintain a better life continuity (this would be another great reason to pick a school like GULC for cheap over Chicago for a lesser scholarship or something like that).

Anyway, now that your score is official, you should just start seeking out waivers and send in apps as those requests come back. They usually have a pretty quick turnaround.

I appreciate all the guidance. I should have been more clear about point 1 - I absolutely didn't mean to reference the riots in any way. I've been to Charlottesville and it's a lovely town but just not somewhere that I'm tempted to live - but that's all. I'm in no way trying to disparage it or suggest it's not a great place to live because of recent events. I actually was not thinking about that *at all* when I posted the quoted comment.

And no, the PhD is in social sciences - my IP interest is along the copyright/artistic product licensing/rights avenue (and that is only one of a few different possibilities that are on my mind - with the full knowledge that in many ways it's better to just go into law school with a fully open mind and see what captures your interest).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Apply to UVA if only for negotiation purposes.

Also why are you passively waiting for waivers? Emails admissions and ask for them.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I would echo UVA2B about location for law school. UVA has great ties to DC placement and is close enough to commute on weekends. I have a bunch of friends here at UVA that have significant others in DC and it’s been pretty easy for them to make it work. Don’t pick a school solely on the city. It’s three years of your life and the degree carries weight for the rest of your professional life.

But like UVA2B said, nobody is making you apply to UVA. I just think it could be really a great option for where you want to ultimately end up. And, your numbers could net you some great scholarship money here.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Rigo wrote:Apply to UVA if only for negotiation purposes.

Also why are you passively waiting for waivers? Emails admissions and ask for them.

Yup.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Either your numbers in your OP are wrong or you're crazy. You might get a full-ride to UChiago. You're over both medians and have a PhD. Have some more faith in yourself. And yeah apply to UVA even if you're 100% sure you'll never go there because it could be useful when negotiating scholarships.

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 am

Thank you all for the guidance as well as for the push to be more aggressive in this process. I'm still developing a sense of the etiquette and of course don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Also don't want to be obnoxious about my academic achievements in manner of 'HYS what are my chances' guy. I'm going to ask for some waivers damnit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”