167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tycho_Brohey
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby Tycho_Brohey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello. I just got back my September LSAT score earlier today, 167. This is my first attempt. My UGrad GPA was 3.82. Going into my LSAT studies I was looking to hit anything in the T30, really targeting places like UT, Vandy, or UWashington.

From checking mylsn I'm pretty set for any of those places with great money. I'd love a shot at big law coming out to make good money for several years and set up a good career transition in to something less demanding. I'm from Texas and have lived here for a long time. Most of my family is here, and I should be able to easily make great law contacts in the major cities through family.

I know my score is scratching at T13, and I know if I want better admissions chances or more money to any of them I need to retake in December. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and apply to the schools I'm looking at outside of the T13 with my current profile, or if I should wait until I get back a theoretical score increase in January and do all of my apps then.

Further information at the risk of being long winded. My PT average going in to the September test was sitting around 167-169. I've hit low 170s several times, but I've been taking a break since the test. I imagine it's possible I could pull out a 169 or 170 in December, maybe higher, and I'd basically need to reduce my missed questions in both LR to make it happen (-0 in games and RC is usually fine, but I don't see myself coming up with a way to strategically reduce my missed questions there).

I have a master's and several years of work experience. I'm married and waiting another cycle is basically off of the table because we'd like to move our life forward and not stagnate for another year. Thank you for any insight.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: 167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby UVA2B » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:47 pm

You can apply to the schools you're targeting with your current scores if you want, but you should be realistic that you are a coin flip chance of Biglaw with your current options (with UT being your best current option more than likely given your connections to the state). And the cost you'll incur for your current options will set your family back pretty significantly.

Considering you're looking outside the T13 and national placement (and please understand that this distinction is only based on national placement, not on picking T13 over regional placement for cheaper), you should really focus on what region you'd want to practice in. Because UW isn't putting you in Austin, just like UT isn't putting you in Seattle.

Tycho_Brohey
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: 167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby Tycho_Brohey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Yes, I'm fully aware there are no guarantees out of T20 for big law. I'm not big law or bust, I'm interested in a number of different areas career wise, and I think I'd be able to get a job I'd be happy with out of these places. I'm also aware of the regional nature. My wife and I would be incredibly happy staying in TX, or going up to WA (also a bunch of family in Seattle, however I've heard Washington doesn't like giving money). We're open to many more places, but those are both realistic and we have ties.

I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible just to hedge my bets. There's a very high chance we could/would come back to Texas if I went to a T13, so staying in Texas isn't the issue.

All that said, do you think applying now with what I have to UT backwards is better for being earlier in the cycle, or would I benefit from waiting for a December test score? Your language indicated that it didn't particularly matter one way or the other, but that's me assuming.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 am

I'd apply to the schools you mentioned now.
You should get solid UT money.

Tycho_Brohey
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: 167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby Tycho_Brohey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

Rigo wrote:I'd apply to the schools you mentioned now.
You should get solid UT money.


Thanks Rigo, I think I'll get these apps in before the month is over and shoot for a 170+ on the December test before submitting my T13 apps.

whodareswins
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: 167 LSAT and 3.82 GPA Apply to some now or wait on all apps?

Postby whodareswins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 pm

I don't know if things will be different this cycle, but I applied last year with similar numbers and got $$-$$$ at USC, Vandy, BU, UCLA, etc. I'd say it's worth applying now!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MichiganHoosier, phillyboy23 and 7 guests