4.0+/167 Application Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
blackmamba8
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I have a 4.0+/167. Michigan is my dream school but I'd be stoked for any T-13. I've looked at mylsn and it looks like I have pretty decent chances from Michigan on down. Right now I'm planning on getting my applications sent in within the next two weeks, and then retaking in February for scholarships. I thought about retaking in December, but I don't want schools to see I'm registered for December and wait until January to look at my application. Does this sound like a good strategy?

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: 4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby UVA2B » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Can you improve your score in December based on reliable evidence? If you wait until February, are you also prepared to wait for the next cycle when tuition discounts are plentiful more than they are in the spring?

Your strategy is fine in a vacuum, but no strategy exists in a vacuum.

RedPurpleBlue
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: 4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 pm

I'd retake. Even if it doesn't help you with admissions chances, a higher school will be a HUGE bargaining chip when negotiating your scholarships.

User avatar
blackmamba8
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: 4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm

UVA2B wrote:Can you improve your score in December based on reliable evidence? If you wait until February, are you also prepared to wait for the next cycle when tuition discounts are plentiful more than they are in the spring?

Your strategy is fine in a vacuum, but no strategy exists in a vacuum.

I was averaging 172 before September so I think that I could realistically gain 2-3 points by December. If I were to retake in December would schools wait to review my app until that score comes in? I would really like to start school next fall, but I'd be willing to wait for next cycle if necessary.

RedPurpleBlue wrote:I'd retake. Even if it doesn't help you with admissions chances, a higher school will be a HUGE bargaining chip when negotiating your scholarships.

I definitely plan on retaking. I'm just trying to figure out whether it'd be best to retake in December or February.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: 4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby UVA2B » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Retake in December if you continue to perform on the 172+ level. You'll likely have good options after that retake this cycle, but worst case would be waiting a cycle and having really strong options without extra work. Schools might wait until they get your December score (which you should encourage if you're really confident in your retake IIRC).

Getting an immediate answer on your application is worse than getting an objectively better option later in the cycle. And if you don't get the results you want or thought you should get, you can always withdraw and reapply.

User avatar
blackmamba8
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: 4.0+/167 Application Advice

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:Retake in December if you continue to perform on the 172+ level. You'll likely have good options after that retake this cycle, but worst case would be waiting a cycle and having really strong options without extra work. Schools might wait until they get your December score (which you should encourage if you're really confident in your retake IIRC).

Getting an immediate answer on your application is worse than getting an objectively better option later in the cycle. And if you don't get the results you want or thought you should get, you can always withdraw and reapply.

Awesome, thank you!!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests