Waiting to Apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenmusic97

Waiting to Apply

Postby greenmusic97 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

So, I just got my September LSAT score back. Not thrilled and definitely retaking in December. However, my question is, should I apply now even though I’m retaking, or should I wait? I had my applications ready and was about to apply. My dream school is Michigan, and my GPA is a 3.96. Super strong softs. 3 internships. Going to be interning in the US Senate starting in January. Graduating in less than three years. VP of Political Science Association. 3 foreign languages. Study abroad. Playing instrument for 15 years and do musicals, band, etc.

Would it be smart to just wait for Dec scores or apply now and risk the chance of a rejection?

sparkytrainer

Re: Waiting to Apply

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm

None of those are super strong softs. If anything, your softs are meh. Just fyi.

greenmusic97

Postby greenmusic97 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:None of those are super strong softs. If anything, your softs are meh. Just fyi.

So what do you consider strong? My internships were all at top law firms and I’m interning for a senator. I mean, other than research, what would be stronger? Not trying to be snarky and I’m not offended, but just curious.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 pm

greenmusic97 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:None of those are super strong softs. If anything, your softs are meh. Just fyi.

So what do you consider strong? My internships were all at top law firms and I’m interning for a senator. I mean, other than research, what would be stronger? Not trying to be snarky and I’m not offended, but just curious.

Everyone has those at law school. Super strong softs are olympic athlete or rhodes scholar. Truly. If you aren't in one of those two camps, your softs aren't really strong. If anything, your softs are really weak. You seem k-jd, you are young (graduated early), and have no actual work experience. Those all are strikes against your app already, on top of your less than great LSAT score. The people you are competing against have better softs and usually real work experience.

Jjbb938483

Postby Jjbb938483 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm

What was your LSAT score? Hard to say if you have a chance based on GPA and softs alone.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

What did you score?

And yeah your softs may seem good relative to your peers at your school, but they're par for the course for law school applicants. Interning for the US Senate really isn't that prestigious. Anyone can get a Hill internship.

Strong GPA, just get an LSAT to match and the softs won't even matter. They will not overcome a bad LSAT though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”