Apply now or retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calmike

Apply now or retake?

Postby calmike » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello,

I have a 168 LSAT and a below 3.0 GPA.

I am Mexican URM and want to get into T13. I want to do big law or a federal clerkship.

Would it be better for me to apply to law school now, like literally this week...

or

should I retake in December, hopefully score 170+, and apply as soon as the score is out?

1213AEM

Re: Apply now or retake?

Postby 1213AEM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 pm

According to the ranking, Cornell is 13th. Based on the stats from Cornell, your LSAT is within their median. But, with your gpa your chances might not be very high. What are your chances of extending your UG studies into next cycle? Maybe you can take extra CC courses and bump up your gpa. If not, then a mid to high LSAT score might be your best chances.
Last edited by 1213AEM on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urmlaw17

Postby urmlaw17 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm

1213AEM wrote:Are you thinking of ED for T13? If so, I don't think the test score for the December LSAT will come out on time (supposedly, the results are out in Jan).

I was thinking of applying ED To northwestern. I'll probably apply with my current score. And then retake and apply to rest with new score.

1213AEM

Postby 1213AEM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
1213AEM wrote:Are you thinking of ED for T13? If so, I don't think the test score for the December LSAT will come out on time (supposedly, the results are out in Jan).

I was thinking of applying ED To northwestern. I'll probably apply with my current score. And then retake and apply to rest with new score.

You should ED to northwestern. I don't see any harm in doing that. In the meantime study like hell for the LSAT in dec. A higher LSAT card would make you a wild card at most T13, and increases your chances.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

1213AEM wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:

You should ED to northwestern. I don't see any harm in doing that. In the meantime study like hell for the LSAT in dec. A higher LSAT card would make you a wild card at most T13, and increases your chances.

I mean, there's no harm in EDing, but NU's ED program is meant to poach students with CCN numbers. So I'd be extremely surprised if OP got in ED. OP, you've asked this question before, and the answer is the same: your chances are better with a 170+, but splitters should apply earlier in the cycle for better results. Either way, your results will be totally unpredictable.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”