Letters of rec: Professor vs Lecturer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swong1267

Letters of rec: Professor vs Lecturer

Postby swong1267 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi TLS,

How important is it that my letters of rec come from professors? I've had two lecturers who know me well who I want to ask for a letter of rec, but neither of them are actual professors.

Also, what is the purpose of the LOR? What do law schools want to see from them?

Thanks!!

xiaoqiz

Re: Letters of rec: Professor vs Lecturer

Postby xiaoqiz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm

I don't think that would be a huge disadvantage if your recommenders know you well. If you are applying to graduate school in that field some people would discourage you from obtaining letters from lecturers, only because professors' word in that particular field is more reliable, given his/her reputation in the field, which lecturers lack. In law school nobody knows your professor (unless that professor also publishes in legal area), so their reputation only plays a minor factor in law school application.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. A lecturer you had in college, right? if so, really isn not a problem and don't they still count as your professor??

The purpose of a LOR is for the schools to hear from someone else about your work ethic and well, see why someone recommends you lol.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Work ethic, intelligence, critical thinking skills, writing ability, ability to work with others, resilience, creativity, discipline, etc etc - all the good stuff.

And if lecturers know you best, use them. The content of the letter is more important than the name on it.

swong1267

Postby swong1267 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 am

Thanks!!

I've seem some stuff on here about having your recommenders talk about your extracurriculars as well -- but I know my recommenders in the classroom setting, so it seems odd to ask them to also write about what clubs and positions I've done. Is there a good way to bring that up?

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 am

swong1267 wrote:Thanks!!

I've seem some stuff on here about having your recommenders talk about your extracurriculars as well -- but I know my recommenders in the classroom setting, so it seems odd to ask them to also write about what clubs and positions I've done. Is there a good way to bring that up?

I don't think it's necessary for them to write about your extracurriculars unless it's relevant to the classes they taught. Like if it's an environmental science prof/lecturer and you're the president of the clean energy club or something. My recommenders definitely didn't talk about any of my extracurriculars (will note that I started law school in 2013 in case things have changed drastically in the last 5 years).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”