Admissions Consultant Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jay2021

New

Admissions Consultant

Post by Jay2021 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 am

Is it worth it? Anyone have anyone they used and would recommend? How much does it cost?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Admissions Consultant

Post by UVA2B » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 am

Most of what you need can be found through advice on TLS (e.g. help with resume, PS, DS, crafting application approach, negotiating scholarships, etc.). If you have some special, really unique, tough to answer question (and I’m talking really weird, unique questions), then Spivey is probably your best bet. I never used them because I never had any particularly unique questions, but they have a thread here that is on point.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 am

A lot of it comes down to your numbers. If you're above medians at your target school for both GPA and LSAT you really just need to keep from giving them a reason to reject you. If you're a splitter of some variety you're going to need to give them a reason to actually accept you. It also comes down to your desire to feel like you submitted the best possible application. Again, if you're above both medians you can probably use the PS editors here and general strategies to keep from standing out (in a bad way). On the other hand, if you're reaching for your target school and you want to be sure you did everything you could to get in that's where, in my opinion, consulting becomes a reasonable up-front expense.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay2021

New

Post by Jay2021 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 am

How do I get PS help here?
Last edited by Jay2021 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 am

Jay2021 wrote:How do I get PS help here?

FWIW I'm a good writer (have written professionally) but still need to know what kind of essay it should be.

My GPA is good, LSAT hopefully too (took in September so will get results soon), but I'm not a typical applicant. I'm 31 with several years work experience and I didn't go to a good undergrad school etc.
Some of those professionals give some free advice as part of their marketing efforts. The aforementioned Spivey Consulting (I am neither a client nor employee, I just found their website useful), for example, has a blog, and has some posts on both how to pick a topic and examples of good personal statements at https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 pm

op, how was your experience if you did end up using their service? anyone else who used it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”