Question about pre-law major Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chloe111

New

Question about pre-law major

Post by Chloe111 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi,
I'm a sophomore student and I'm doing major-minor program now. I want to expand my minor to a major, but I'm wondering whether AOs have a preference for students who do Honours program(equivalent to Honours track)? Because Honours program students should write a very long and demanding Honours thesis which can demonstrate stronger writing, critical thinking and time management abilities.
In my university, if you choose the multiple programs track (i.e. double major/major-minor), you cannot write the honours thesis. I think it's a good idea to major in two subjects that I'm interested in, but I really love my current major and I'm okay to make efforts to do an Honours program.

DO you think AOs have a preference? Which one should I choose? I'll appreciate it if you have any advices.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Re: Question about pre-law major

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Chloe111 wrote:Hi,
I'm a sophomore student and I'm doing major-minor program now. I want to expand my minor to a major, but I'm wondering whether AOs have a preference for students who do Honours program(equivalent to Honours track)? Because Honours program students should write a very long and demanding Honours thesis which can demonstrate stronger writing, critical thinking and time management abilities.
In my university, if you choose the multiple programs track (i.e. double major/major-minor), you cannot write the honours thesis. I think it's a good idea to major in two subjects that I'm interested in, but I really love my current major and I'm okay to make efforts to do an Honours program.

DO you think AOs have a preference? Which one should I choose? I'll appreciate it if you have any advices.
This may or may not answer your question, but I hope this helps you think about it with more nuance. The benefits of the thesis are that (if it is how I envision it) you get to work closely with a faculty member. The resulting recommendation (I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have your advisor be a recommender) is more likely to include your ability to do self-directed work, the ability to think deeply about a certain issue, and your potential to be a professional. On this last point, one of the things I noticed as well is that the thesis writing process is more conducive to the faculty advisor seeing you as a potential colleague; this helped me in my PhD apps, and I'm hoping it helps me in my JD applications this cycle. If you do end up doing the major/minor track, see if there are opportunities to do an independent study with an extensive piece of writing as the end product (maybe not thesis-length). In short, you want faculty to not only be your recommenders, but to see you as people who have the potential to be strong colleagues--this is a much better light than merely being regarded as an above average student.

That make sense?

01panm

New

Post by 01panm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Assuming you're applying to law schools in the US, the best option is the one that you can get the highest GPA with.

Chloe111

New

Post by Chloe111 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:

This may or may not answer your question, but I hope this helps you think about it with more nuance. The benefits of the thesis are that (if it is how I envision it) you get to work closely with a faculty member. The resulting recommendation (I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have your advisor be a recommender) is more likely to include your ability to do self-directed work, the ability to think deeply about a certain issue, and your potential to be a professional. On this last point, one of the things I noticed as well is that the thesis writing process is more conducive to the faculty advisor seeing you as a potential colleague; this helped me in my PhD apps, and I'm hoping it helps me in my JD applications this cycle. If you do end up doing the major/minor track, see if there are opportunities to do an independent study with an extensive piece of writing as the end product (maybe not thesis-length). In short, you want faculty to not only be your recommenders, but to see you as people who have the potential to be strong colleagues--this is a much better light than merely being regarded as an above average student.

That make sense?
Yes, thank you, it's very clear. If I do the major-minor track, I don't think I have opportunities to conduct independent study, but I can enroll in senior seminars. Usually, there are 20 students in each seminar and they are required to write a quite long, but not thesis-length, term paper. This may probably allow me to work closer with some professors.

Chloe111

New

Post by Chloe111 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Chloe111 wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:

That make sense?
Yes, thank you, it's very clear. If I do the double major track, I don't think I have opportunities to conduct independent study, but I can enroll in senior seminars. Usually, there are 20 students in each seminar and they are required to write a quite long, but not thesis-length, term paper. This may probably allow me to work closer with some professors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chloe111

New

Post by Chloe111 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 pm

01panm wrote:Assuming you're applying to law schools in the US, the best option is the one that you can get the highest GPA with.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I don't know whether I should think the problem like this. Assuming I can achieve similar GPA in both track, do you think AOs will have a preference? Or if I can have a very high GPA, which track I take is not important?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chloe111

New

Post by Chloe111 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Platopus wrote:
Chloe111 wrote:? Or if I can have a very high GPA, which track I take is not important?
This. It really doesn't matter as long as you graduate. Do whatever you find most interesting, and try to cultivate a meaningful relationship with a professor nonetheless.
Okay, I understand. Thank you :)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 am

honestly what you should focus on is just majoring in whatever interests you (doesn't have to be pre-law, can be anything else) as long as you get the highest grades you can get

law schools will care more about your LSAT and GPA over other things

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”