GPA Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dietcoked

GPA Addendum

Postby dietcoked » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is the general wisdom when writing a GPA addendum that it should be very facts based (This is what happened. Mitigating circumstances. Won't happen again) or if we should/be better served by writing it in a narrative format? I'm leaning towards the first instance, but looking for other opinions. :)

rpupkin

Re: GPA Addendum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 am

I don't understand the distinction you're drawing between "fact based" and "narrative format." Wouldn't a narrative be fact based? What kind of narrative do you have in mind?

dietcoked

Postby dietcoked » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am

rpupkin wrote:I don't understand the distinction you're drawing between "fact based" and "narrative format." Wouldn't a narrative be fact based? What kind of narrative do you have in mind?

You're right - I should have been clearer. I mean a more "story-like" format, where one might tell a story and then give what you learned from the experience in the end. Instead of "I had a bad GPA because I worked full-time while I had cancer. I'm recovered. Won't be an issue in law school", you'd write something like "Exposition about cancer. Why you chose to work - strength, blah, blah. Road to recovery. Lessons learned."

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:17 pm

It probably doesn't matter (because GPA addendums usually make no difference anyway), but I would go with the drier, straight-ahead approach.

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Keep it short, factual, and contrite. You regret that this happened, here are the mitigating circumstances, you will be a model student in law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”