Chance me for HY Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Chance me for HY

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm actually fairly sure he's not a mid-30 something, but if he were, why is that relevant?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:20 pm

georgeNY wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
Mullens wrote:
georgeNY wrote:^yeah, you sound bitter. a 3.86 is not below the median for harvard- it is the median. And, if you were the EiC of the daily princtonian, you would have a far better soft than most YLS or HLS students I've met, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Also, I don't have a 168. Why do you like to lie? I've explicitly said that I haven't taken that test yet, but I'm scoring almost 10 points higher on practice. Realistically, my floor is a 170ish, and that's an absolute floor.

I appreciate all the positive replies on this thread. As I said before, many have reaffirmed my confidence in HLS, given my LSAT score falls where it should. Re: Yale being a blackbox- totally cool, didn't know that. But, I appreciate the info.
Your arrogance is hilarious and sad at the same time. At some point the real world is gonna hit you down a notch and I hope it doesn't destroy you. Being president of your club might seem important now, but in a year it'll just be reduced to nothing more than a line on your resume. One that people either won't want to talk about in job interviews because they don't give a shit or one that causes their eyes to glaze over and reject you when you talk about how important it is.

Your lack of perspective is telling. At the moment you might think you have great softs for someone at HYP and to another student in your shoes that might be true. It's not true to almost everyone else. I went to a lower T13 school that had olympians, former professional football players, retired executives from F50 companies and PE funds in our school. Those kinda of softs matter because they are interesting to regular people. No one gives a shit about the EIC of a college newspaper or the President of Model UN or some other make-work bullshit.

Feel free to call me bitter but I'd wager you'd be willing to cut a few toes off to be where I am right now in a few years. I hope to have the pleasure of rejecting you from your dream job.
Bless you, truly.
I sincerely hope that after law school when I'm in the process of applying for your incredibly prestigious position, I'm not also responding to a forum fight at top law schools . Com at 3PM in the afternoon! I came in a bit cocky, and now I have people telling me that they hope I fail. You really must have a chip on your shoulder.

When all's said and done this year, I'll have roughly a 3.9 GPA from a top 5 global university and an excellent LSAT score. I have many opportunities ahead of me, but it's concerning to hear some mid 30 something actively root for my failure because he didn't like my tone.
In my humble opinion you're wildly missing the point.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Also let me add, it's fine to believe that your CV will open you up to wonderful opportunities. But not being a dick counts for a lot. And that lesson may not be apparent to you because ostensibly you haven't been docked for it, but to think that you'll progress through the rest of your life without being knocked down a few notches is both naïve and the height of hubris.

Just a thought.

georgeNY

New

Post by georgeNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Alrighty then, thanks everyone- especially to the thoughtful and helpful commenters. I'll report back after the LSAT/ my decision comes out.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Am I the only pleb who had to google "Whiffenpoofs" to know what's going on here?

Ok, carry on...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:34 pm

You’ve made enough of an ass of yourself that no one else will say this, so I will only because I’m hoping that you’ll find some humility between now and LS:

Saying explicitly that you’ve won a Truman, that you go HYP, that you have some special snowflake soft, listing your year and majors and implying plenty else about your identity would make it ridiculously easy for an adcomm who checks this forum (yes, they do) or a TLS’er who is rubbed especially poorly by this and sends it on (yes, that’s happened) to identify you. I doubt it’d take more than half an hour.

For your sake and the world’s, drop the ego and clear this post. Get a 173+, go to Harvard and do something that helps people.
Last edited by creed on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm

georgeNY wrote: When all's said and done this year, I'll have roughly a 3.9 GPA from a top 5 global university and an excellent LSAT score.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Assuming that you will score at your PT average is an exercise in naivete. I have seen many smart, capable individuals who had excellent PT scores be knocked down by the real thing. I'm not saying that this will happen to you, but don't be so naive to assume that it can't happen to you.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Pozzo wrote:Am I the only pleb who had to google "Whiffenpoofs" to know what's going on here?

Ok, carry on...
Haha, I wouldn't worry about them. Pentatonix is way better (though the Simpson's episode about them was spot on). And I'll disagree with WinterComing that being one would impress many people here. Maybe there's a professor or two that they know about that I don't, but I personally don't see that opening any doors. We have plenty of acapella people here, and the only thing that separates the Whiffs is their taking a year off of college to go sing at Mory's.

Now, a national debate championship will be more impressive. Any national championship can be really impressive if framed right. But this paper or whatever isn't like you being the absolute best at a demanding skill. And WinterComing made a really good point. We have a lot of people with real journalism experience. That was why I said that college extracurriculars should be rewarding on their own, but not that they'd necessarily improve your admission chances.

And OP, I don't think anyone here has said they wanted you to fail. I think a lot of posters want you to grow up. And if you do, pm me, I'm happy to look at essays. But, this extreme arrogance isn't going to win you many friends, except maybe at Harvard.
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm

The best soft is being a rick and morty fan. Adcomms will bow at your high iq and solid grasp of theoretical physics. So if you wan't yale,you better quit those PT's and get schwifty

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Samarcan wrote:To the original poster: most of the comments on this thread about "softs" are correct in that you should be wary of your confidence in your own. But (if you're new here) you should also be aware that some of the posters (especially the frankly idiotic posts early in the thread about having a 0% chance at YLS) are projecting their own insecurities.

Of course they'd deny this, saying instead they are "hard-headed realists" or just looking at the numbers, but you can pretty easily tell who is neutrally giving you a splash of cold water and who is revealing his/her own either bitter or resentful inferiority complex, especially when they see a young confident person come around their "stomping grounds." Not everyone on this thread is like this, again, but some of the earlier posts do exhibit this, so (as again should be obvious) don't put much stock into anything you find here if it's couched in that kind of myopic confidence (which is an ironic reflection of your own confidence that you should temper, even if you do get into H or Y. Having good friends is something important, too.).
QFP (but in this case the "P" doubles for "posterity" and "pretension")

As was mentioned early in the thread (I know, I know, reading), there are always outliers. If outlier results could be predicted, they wouldn't be outliers; they'd be average results. Maybe the OP is justified in being a cocky child, or maybe, just maybe, the top schools in the nation generally require top LSAT scores.

But you're probably right. This is all about bitterness over a "young confident person," especially the posters who go/went to top schools and the posters who are actual lawyers. Those guys are all super-bitter.

ETA: Of course you went to Harvard. What a fucking shock.
Cavalier did he personally address you or did you just out yourself?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:The best soft is being a rick and morty fan. Adcomms will bow at your high iq and solid grasp of theoretical physics. So if you wan't yale,you better quit those PT's and get schwifty
This is true. It's undisputed that people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens.

And Pricon, his going to Harvard is in his post history. I found that too.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:18 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Am I the only pleb who had to google "Whiffenpoofs" to know what's going on here?

Ok, carry on...
Haha, I wouldn't worry about them. Pentatonix is way better (though the Simpson's episode about them was spot on). And I'll disagree with WinterComing that being one would impress many people here. Maybe there's a professor or two that they know about that I don't, but I personally don't see that opening any doors. We have plenty of acapella people here, and the only thing that separates the Whiffs is their taking a year off of college to go sing at Mory's.

Now, a national debate championship will be more impressive. Any national championship can be really impressive if framed right. But this paper or whatever isn't like you being the absolute best at a demanding skill. And WinterComing made a really good point. We have a lot of people with real journalism experience. That was why I said that college extracurriculars should be rewarding on their own, but not that they'd necessarily improve your admission chances.

And OP, I don't think anyone here has said they wanted you to fail. I think a lot of posters want you to grow up. And if you do, pm me, I'm happy to look at essays. But, this extreme arrogance isn't going to win you many friends, except maybe at Harvard.
I bet being a Pentatonic is a pretty solid soft. Maybe not Truman solid, but still pretty solid.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

As a lesson to OP and other applicants, it took me 30 seconds of googling to learn the real identity of OP based on the info that OP posted about themselves. I'm not quoting any posts because I hope people are nice enough to delete the identifying information in their posts (and OP is smart enough to do the same). How you act on the internet matters when you post that much info. People have been rejected from law schools based on TLS posts before.

On the subject of failure, I do hope OP fails. Not at gaining admission to a top law school or having a fulfilling career, but at something. Something important enough to humble OP and give them some much-needed perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Damn, it really did take 30 seconds

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Just tagging for when the OP comes back and reports his 163

(Just to be clear I'm not actually wishing that upon the OP, it's just something that is fated. I don't want to be lumped with bitter crusty olds like that Anonymous Mouse person)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Lol wait that's the student organization? Yeah no dude nobody cares about that.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Lol wait that's the student organization? Yeah no dude nobody cares about that.
I saw it and I was like "Pshh, I'm an actual Kenyan; that's way more interesting."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

georgeNY

New

Post by georgeNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:04 pm

for a forum comprised of prospective or current lawyers, this is pretty silly. I really doubt you can find my identity (that's *not* a challenge), and your attempts to do so might needlessly punish people who are not me. Also, I do not run a school newspaper- that was an example; the "club" that I am a part of deals mainly with international connections. but, that's not in my truman profile.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 pm

georgeNY wrote:your attempts to [ID me] might needlessly punish people who are not me
roflobster, nobody's trying to punish anybody. Those people went out of their way to enable you to cleanly erase the identifying information you've posted here, which is an objectively good idea.
Also, I do not run a school newspaper- that was an example; the "club" that I am a part of deals mainly with international connections. but, that's not in my truman profile.
So it's even less relevant to law-school applications?
Last edited by icechicken on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 pm

georgeNY wrote:for a forum comprised of prospective or current lawyers, this is pretty silly. I really doubt you can find my identity (that's *not* a challenge), and your attempts to do so might needlessly punish people who are not me. Also, I do not run a school newspaper- that was an example; the "club" that I am a part of deals mainly with international connections. but, that's not in my truman profile.
You're better off just stopping now before you divulge more information that people can use to out you. I don't care enough to google, but you've been very specific with certain details. Save some face and stop posting.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

georgeNY wrote:for a forum comprised of prospective or current lawyers, this is pretty silly. I really doubt you can find my identity (that's *not* a challenge), and your attempts to do so might needlessly punish people who are not me. Also, I do not run a school newspaper- that was an example; the "club" that I am a part of deals mainly with international aid. but, that's not in my truman profile.
OP, I think it's really obvious that a group of people here know exactly who you are. The information you gave out narrowed you down tremendously. It took me about 30 seconds too to figure out who you were. I think you realize that, which is why you deleted your post. Right now, I think you need to consider that you have insulted a lot of the people who now know your identity, me included. A lot of those are students at the schools you're applying. I'm not going to do anything, because as I said, I don't want anyone to fail, no matter how they behave. But, if someone were not so nice, they could provide your identity and this thread to admissions officers. And simply explain how they know. The admissions office would take a look, and you do not come off well in this. Especially at YLS, where it's so small, they try to avoid people who are insufferable (though admittedly they do not always succeed). I think a better route for you would be to stop antagonizing everyone, clear these posts, and live to crow another day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

georgeNY wrote: I really doubt you can find my identity
And yet.
georgeNY wrote:[deleted]
Here's the deal, george. You've obviously achieved a lot already, and you'll no doubt achieve much more as you go through life. No one here begrudges you that. Nor do we want you to fail at law school. What those here have offered is some perspective that's rooted in experience applying to and attending the very law schools you want to attend. What you did, though, was write off warnings about prematurely thinking you're a lock for admissions when you have yet to take the LSAT as the petty ramblings of envious thirty-somethings with a chip on their collective shoulder. That's not a good look.

Regarding the softs you mentioned, the truth is that everyone who is in serious contention for admissions at HY is already superstar. They've set themselves apart academically, and most have significant and impressive extracurricular and/or professional experience to boot. That's why only the most extraordinary softs provide any sort of boost, not because the other things aren't impressive--in almost any other context they are--but because they are typical for the kind of student at those schools.

Here's my advice. Take the LSAT, do well. Keep your GPA high this year. Beyond that, you'd do well to heed what Kiss My Axe said above and just focus on being a decent human being to the people you interact with on the internet or elsewhere. That's going to go a lot further toward your chances at admissions than any extracurricular activity.

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:10 pm

RT everyone here about softs.

If it’s you, Truman and all, w/ a 3.86 and a 170, vs a 3.96 and a 175, can you guess who will almost always get in over the other?

Which is to say, study for the LSAT. And don’t try to lie about your softs after being ID’d to throw people off. (Anyone who took the 30 seconds to ID knows it was a lie). Like you said, forum of future lawyers. Just recognize that you got a lil rekt and move on.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:17 pm

I think this has reached the limits of its utility (though I appreciate people are trying to help the OP out).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”