deleted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tocrt

deleted

Postby tocrt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 am

deleted
Last edited by tocrt on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Re: International Parliamentary Aid: Should I Even Consider HLS?

Postby appind » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 am

tocrt wrote:Hi everyone,

I’m a 27 year old parliamentary aid, and economic advisor, of the chairperson of a small Israeli party. For the past two years I’ve gained immense legislative experience, particularly economic and finance related. long-term career goal is financial regulation.

I’ve applied and been accepted to several top MBA programs. While considering HBS for R2, I noticed HLS is now accepting GREs. I’m really excited about the option of a joint JD/MBA from HLS-HBS. Suits my personal interests and career goals wonderfully and I think I can explain my choice well for both schools’ adcoms.

Only hurdle is I have absolutely no idea whether I’m a competitive candidate. My GRE is 163V(93%)/161Q(78%)/4.0AW(60%). My GPA is 90/100.

Do I even stand a chance? Should I even consider?

Thanks!

hbs R2 deadline is in Dec. do you mean you are only considering applying to hbs-hls and haven't applied yet? have you been accepted to mba program already?

how hls is going to consider GRE for the first time this cycle isn't fully known yet. your experience is definitely going to help you both at hls and hbs. hbs admissions isn't mainly numbers based, but for hls i think your gre score may need to be improved.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 am

Although this is the first time that Harvard is accepting the GRE, they generally accept students from the 99th+ percentile on the LSAT. So instinctively, your scores seem low for HLS.

If you were also interested in law school to begin with, why didn't you take the LSAT?

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Although this is the first time that Harvard is accepting the GRE, they generally accept students from the 99th+ percentile on the LSAT. So instinctively, your scores seem low for HLS.

If you were also interested in law school to begin with, why didn't you take the LSAT?

Echoing this, that last question may come across as abrasive or flippant but if I was a GRE-only applicant I would 100% make sure I was prepared to answer that question at some point in the process.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 am

AJordan wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Although this is the first time that Harvard is accepting the GRE, they generally accept students from the 99th+ percentile on the LSAT. So instinctively, your scores seem low for HLS.

Echoing this, that last question may come across as abrasive or flippant but if I was a GRE-only applicant I would 100% make sure I was prepared to answer that question at some point in the process.

In addition to the issues it raises during the application cycle, I was also asking because it sounds like a last minute add-on right now.

OP: If you want to go to law school, awesome. But if you just want to go to Harvard Law School, then it sounds like a JD is something you want for prestige value, not for any practical benefit.

tocrt

Postby tocrt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am

deleted
Last edited by tocrt on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 am

tocrt wrote:...a JD isn’t a necessity for me. I can do without it both for short-term and long-term career goals...

Then don't get a JD.

Law school is training for a profession, not just an intellectual exercise. And at the very least, you're talking about dumping an extra year of tuition and living expenses on an intellectual exercise. If you don't want to practice law, don't get a JD.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty good at the switch puzzles in Ocarina of Time but I'm not looking to get a structural engineering degree as I do not wish to become an engineer.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:26 pm

AJordan wrote:Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty good at the switch puzzles in Ocarina of Time but I'm not looking to get a structural engineering degree as I do not wish to become an engineer.

Exactly. You'd obviously be better suited to play in the Harvard Ocarina Ensemble.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”