C&F Issue - Speeding Tickets

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chewinggum

C&F Issue - Speeding Tickets

Postby chewinggum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice for disclosing a Character & Fitness issue.

I have gotten quite a few speeding tickets (I'm going to guesstimate around 6) from when I got my license at 16 (24 now) and I will have to disclose this for three of my applications. I ran my state's judiciary search and only one shows up. I requested my driving record and none of my tickets are on there.

I want to disclose, but I'm not sure how. I am leaning towards a short statement saying that I have "a few" speeding tickets but can't remember the dates, location, etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

mmart207

Re: C&F Issue - Speeding Tickets

Postby mmart207 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Were the speeding tickets by camera? Or were you stopped by cops each time?

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm

mmart207 wrote:Were the speeding tickets by camera? Or were you stopped by cops each time?

I've been pulled over at least twice but I don't really remember. One of the times I was actually seriously speeding and had to do a driver's improvement, so I at least want to disclose that. But this was also like freshman year of college

mmart207

Postby mmart207 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

I ask because if it was a camera, it will not show on your driving record because there's no way for them to really know if it was you driving when it happened. I would just disclose the ones where you were actually stopped by an officer, especially the one you had to take a class for.

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 pm

You can try calling the police department in the town/county/whatever where you were cited - they might have a record of the date/time you were cited and maybe some other information, which would look a lot better than guesstimating the month. Your driving record only looks back a certain number of years and courthouses often don't bother/everything is on paper in a closet somewhere/minor stuff is automatically discarded after a few years, but PDs seem to keep things on computers more often and don't have much reason to destroy the records they keep.

This worked for me to verify the basic information about a speeding ticket I got like 7 years ago while on vacation in a different state that the municipal and county courts no longer have (or never had?) records of.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm

icechicken wrote:

mmart207 wrote:

Thank you both!

trafalgar

Postby trafalgar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

This thread is my life, I'm in the same boat right now with about 4 speeding tickets that I'm wondering whether or not i should disclose.

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah I've got two speeding tickets on my record but I have no idea how to get the documentation about it, lol. Also just got a double-parking thing but the guy said that it's not going on my record and I would also count that as a minor parking violation so I assume I don't have to report it.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm

trafalgar wrote:This thread is my life, I'm in the same boat right now with about 4 speeding tickets that I'm wondering whether or not i should disclose.

I'm not disclosing to all, just the ones that ask for it and the ones that ask in a way that it might have to be included.

The ones that are like "any felony or misdemeanor charges?" I won't.

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm in the same boat. I ended up going through my state's DMV and pulling a copy of my driving record so that I could have the information on all of mine. Some applications will specifically exclude speeding tickets from their C&F section, if the tickets were paid and didn't involve alcohol or some other crime. So for those, I wouldn't include them. But go ahead and disclose on any app that doesn't exclude them, or you could just do a blanket disclosure on all of your apps. If you paid your fines and took care of the tickets, you have nothing to worry about. Everyone gets speeding tickets, there is no harm in disclosing them.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm

I had this problem. Rather than spending the time and effort required to hunt them all down, I just included some version of the following: "I've recieived several traffic tickets. None were for anything other than minor violations, and none resulted in anything other than a fine. To the best of my recollection, I have not received any more than 5 such tickets."

I didn't have any problems with law schools or with the bar.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 am

I had like 30 tickets to disclose. I did a random "I've had a bunch, can't locate them all but I'm telling you about them" letter. All was well.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

chewinggum wrote:
trafalgar wrote:This thread is my life, I'm in the same boat right now with about 4 speeding tickets that I'm wondering whether or not i should disclose.

I'm not disclosing to all, just the ones that ask for it and the ones that ask in a way that it might have to be included.

The ones that are like "any felony or misdemeanor charges?" I won't.

At least in Ohio, a speeding ticket is classified as a "minor misdemeanor" and are criminal unlike some other states.

Make sure you understand the law that applied to each ticket you were issued (i.e. the difference between camera issued and officer tickets, and different state laws as applicable).

Cmoney $$

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 am

chewinggum wrote:Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice for disclosing a Character & Fitness issue.

I have gotten quite a few speeding tickets (I'm going to guesstimate around 6) from when I got my license at 16 (24 now) and I will have to disclose this for three of my applications. I ran my state's judiciary search and only one shows up. I requested my driving record and none of my tickets are on there.

I want to disclose, but I'm not sure how. I am leaning towards a short statement saying that I have "a few" speeding tickets but can't remember the dates, location, etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

I would just write a short addendum explaining the situation. I had a lot of tickets when I was a teenager and I'm 30 now. I still wrote something because I didn't want it to be a problem later, even though there is no longer any record of them. I put my best estimation of the dates and disposition. I also had one that was 20 miles over the speed limit and had to take traffic survival school. Of course, I was 17 and had a 65 mustang so I couldn't help myself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”