(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

Postby appind » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 am

Last edited by appind on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: GRE score

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:24 am

At schools accepting the GRE, I doubt this matters, because you still have a reportable LSAT. Everything we've seen so far indicates that the schools still have to report LSATs to USNWR (the only thing admissions departments care about), so if you have scores for both tests, the LSAT should take precedence.

That said, getting in to Harvard with a 171 is already a bit of a reach. You'd be better off focusing on getting a lower T13 school with money (depending on your GPA).

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 am

95th percentile is like a 168 on the LSAT. 93rd is about a 166. I can't imagine Harvard is interested, either from a rankings perspective or a get-the-best-students-possible perspective; those are bottom-quartile numbers for them. And cavalier is right that the LSAT is probably more important anyway. I wouldn't bother.

URMSenator52

Postby URMSenator52 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:29 am

GPA? If below, a 3.7 not very good odds. A below median LSAT Score of 171, is most likely not getting into H. Your going to have shoot for at least; 173-174 for H. Do you have international or major domestic volunteer, and or Fortune 500 work experience? Or undergrad leadership experience? Your GRE score in your hypo correlates. Overall to below median as one other user stated.

TheKingLives

Postby TheKingLives » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm

The admissions officer in the online information session I attended said that H will consider both scores if submitted, but in all likelihood the LSAT will determine your chances of admissions more so than the GRE, but I would go ahead and submit it for that high quant score. Good luck!

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 pm

TheKingLives wrote:...but I would go ahead and submit it for that high quant score.

As pointed out above, the quant score isn't that high when you go by percentile rank, and Harvard is bound to apply similar standards to the GRE. There's no reason to think that they would practically require 99th percentile LSAT scores and then lower their standards for the GRE.

TheKingLives

Postby TheKingLives » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TheKingLives wrote:...but I would go ahead and submit it for that high quant score.

As pointed out above, the quant score isn't that high when you go by percentile rank, and Harvard is bound to apply similar standards to the GRE. There's no reason to think that they would practically require 99th percentile LSAT scores and then lower their standards for the GRE.

I'm aware, but I don't think it would hurt to submit it if he wanted to.

appind

Postby appind » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 pm

they will have to drop their standards anyways when considering GRE quant, a perfect 170 in GRE quant is only 97%.

their is no section in the app to submit GRE score. does it mean one would have to ask and pay ETS to report GRE to the school?
is it possible to skip gre score now and submit a retake of GRE score later in case of WL ?

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm

appind wrote:they will have to drop their standards anyways when considering GRE quant, a perfect 170 in GRE quant is only 97%.

Yeah, which is why it's hard to imagine why they'd settle for anything less than 170 outside of 4.0+ GPAs, underrepresented minorities, and other institutional needs.

Npret

Postby Npret » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 am

appind wrote:they will have to drop their standards anyways when considering GRE quant, a perfect 170 in GRE quant is only 97%.

their is no section in the app to submit GRE score. does it mean one would have to ask and pay ETS to report GRE to the school?
is it possible to skip gre score now and submit a retake of GRE score later in case of WL ?

My guess is that for now retaking the GRE isn't going to help when you have LSAT score. Retake that if you retake anything.
I don't think you have to submit your GRE score if you don't want to.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 am

Sorry for quoting earlier -

170 on GRE would not mean dropping their standards. It's the perfect score. Nobody's fault that 3% people score that high. Moreover, a combination of 93%ile in verbal and 95% in quant would be somewhere close to 98th percentile score combined. You can use the GRE to GMAT convertor to get an idea of the percentile of the combined score. I checked yours here - https://www.ets.org/s/gre/flash/bschool ... 17302/170/ and it is an equivalent of 750 in the GMAT which is the 98th percentile.
Good luck! I was also waitlisted and am applying with a GRE+LSAT

TheKingLives

Postby TheKingLives » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:09 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Sorry for quoting earlier -

170 on GRE would not mean dropping their standards. It's the perfect score. Nobody's fault that 3% people score that high. Moreover, a combination of 93%ile in verbal and 95% in quant would be somewhere close to 98th percentile score combined. You can use the GRE to GMAT convertor to get an idea of the percentile of the combined score. I checked yours here - https://www.ets.org/s/gre/flash/bschool ... 17302/170/ and it is an equivalent of 750 in the GMAT which is the 98th percentile.

Thank you, this is what I was trying to get at. If accepting a perfect score on the GRE was lowering their standards they wouldn't have started accepting it in the first place.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Of course, accepting students in the 98th percentile would actually be accepting the lower end of Harvard's acceptance scale.

And this highlights one of the major issues with the GRE: it's objectively easier than the LSAT. So I wouldn't say that you can count someone's quant score as high just because the quant section is easy enough that there is no 99th percentile.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:32 pm

it was responding to the following quote by the other poster as it mentioned how low percentile meant lowering standard.
There's no reason to think that they would practically require 99th percentile LSAT scores and then lower their standards for the GRE.

I think accepting even up until mid 160s would also be fine for them even tho it's like 90 perecentIle on quant.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:34 pm

appind wrote:
There's no reason to think that they would practically require 99th percentile LSAT scores and then lower their standards for the GRE.

I think accepting even up until mid 160s would also be fine for them even tho it's like 90 perecentIle on quant.

But why?

Why do you think that Harvard's motivation here is to accept students with lower scores without any other mitigating factors (diversity, experience, etc.)?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Last time I was paying any attention to this, it was accepted as given that GRE scores were sort of useless for STEM grad programs, because anyone with any aspirations of going to grad school in a STEM field was guaranteed to ace the quant portion because it was so basic. I took it ages and ages ago so it may have changed since then, but I have to admit I don’t see much motive for taking other than top GRE scores (barring amazing enough other stuff in one’s application).

(Also to be fair my quant score was piss poor so I mean basic only as relative to grad level STEM work, which I of course was totally incapable of performing, so not meant as a knock on anyone for their score.)

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(Also to be fair my quant score was piss poor so I mean basic only as relative to grad level STEM work, which I of course was totally incapable of performing, so not meant as a knock on anyone for their score.)

But to be fair...er... that makes perfect sense if you were applying for post-grad programs in non-math fields. This is the other catch with the GRE: percentiles are based on scores for a single part of the test, but everyone takes both parts. So it's telling that the top score bracket is so large, especially because it includes a not-insignificant number of test-takers who are phoning it in on one portion of the test because it's irrelevant to their field of study.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:(Also to be fair my quant score was piss poor so I mean basic only as relative to grad level STEM work, which I of course was totally incapable of performing, so not meant as a knock on anyone for their score.)

But to be fair...er... that makes perfect sense if you were applying for post-grad programs in non-math fields. This is the other catch with the GRE: percentiles are based on scores for a single part of the test, but everyone takes both parts. So it's telling that the top score bracket is so large, especially because it includes a not-insignificant number of test-takers who are phoning it in on one portion of the test because it's irrelevant to their field of study.

Oh, agreed.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:42 am

cavalier1138 wrote:

Of course, accepting students in the 98th percentile would actually be accepting the lower end of Harvard's acceptance scale.

And this highlights one of the major issues with the GRE: it's objectively easier than the LSAT. So I wouldn't say that you can count someone's quant score as high just because the quant section is easy enough that there is no 99th percentile.

I agree with you that there is an issue with the GRE. But HLS decided to go for it. And hence, when it comes to quant, I am fairly certain they won't feel they are dropping their standards by taking in applicants with a maximum score.

And 98th percentile would mean 98.xx percentile. Which essentially is a percentile equivalent of 171-173 on the LSAT. That said, they test different skills and given the much larger pool of people who take the GRE, it's surely easier to score a 98 percentile on GRE than on the LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”