Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnlawdoh
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby johnlawdoh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm

...wondering if anyone has any insight on this specific subject matter before I'd contact schools anonymously for information.

I understand there are a whole slew of reasons not to try something like this (financial, etc.), but I am wondering if anyone has had success with something like this or know whether it is even permissable. In general, I'd be applying early to T10s closer to my support network and withdrawing from my current T10 if admitted. Part of the line of thought behind this is that transferring is difficult and, if this is possible, would alleviate problems associated with transferring - i.e., journals and losing 1L grades.

IExistedOnceBefore
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Why not just wait a year and reapply early?

johnlawdoh
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby johnlawdoh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Why not just wait a year and reapply early?


I suppose that is a possibility. One concern is whether withdrawing from a T10 (or any TX) before grades / exams would be a black mark barring admission to a T10 (or an equivalent TX) later on. While I understand that black mark would still impact ones' application now, it also wouldn't carry as severe of a consequence if one were not admitted.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4637
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 pm

You know that you have to report your current institution on any applications, right?

You're already in a top school. Stop chasing brass rings and focus on your classes.

IExistedOnceBefore
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:30 pm

johnlawdoh wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Why not just wait a year and reapply early?


I suppose that is a possibility. One concern is whether withdrawing from a T10 (or any TX) before grades / exams would be a black mark barring admission to a T10 (or an equivalent TX) later on. While I understand that black mark would still impact ones' application now, it also wouldn't carry as severe of a consequence if one were not admitted.


People withdraw for lots of reasons. It sounds like you want to be near your support network. That's a valid reason to withdraw and reapply. You can also apply to transfer. Your plan likely wouldn't work, since a lot of acceptances for the T10 will come out after your first semester ends, thus locking you in, and unable to have reapplied.

johnlawdoh
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby johnlawdoh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You know that you have to report your current institution on any applications, right?

You're already in a top school. Stop chasing brass rings and focus on your classes.


I'm aware of that eventuality, but I was not sure whether the application process would be the same or whether one can apply while attending another school.

It's not a matter of chasing brass rings (assuming you are referring to trying to reach up to a slightly more prestigious school). I wouldn't be applying to a markedly better school, just a closer one. It's not really an ego thing. It's a matter of being in a good emotional space for an academically challenging environment.

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
johnlawdoh wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Why not just wait a year and reapply early?


I suppose that is a possibility. One concern is whether withdrawing from a T10 (or any TX) before grades / exams would be a black mark barring admission to a T10 (or an equivalent TX) later on. While I understand that black mark would still impact ones' application now, it also wouldn't carry as severe of a consequence if one were not admitted.


People withdraw for lots of reasons. It sounds like you want to be near your support network. That's a valid reason to withdraw and reapply. You can also apply to transfer. Your plan likely wouldn't work, since a lot of acceptances for the T10 will come out after your first semester ends, thus locking you in, and unable to have reapplied.


Thank you for that insight. This sort of technical and timeline stuff is what I was most interested in, but I appreciate any and all insight. I just have concern of it being a really big black mark is all. It is something I will look into, and I'll make sure to investigate it with schools of interest prior to making a drastic decision.

User avatar
blueapple
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Applying early to other schools during 1L and withdrawing if admitted

Postby blueapple » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:01 am

I can't really imagine any T10 accepting someone who is currently attending 1L at another school. They're just going to wonder what's going on with you that you're doing this weird thing instead of transferring or dropping out. But that's just my gut instinct not based on any admissions knowledge.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests