LOR from professors or employers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jay2021

LOR from professors or employers

Postby Jay2021 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Jay2021 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Re: LOR from professors or employers

Postby UVA2B » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:41 pm

As always, every situation is unique, but you're probably fine with the one academic LOR. I applied without a strictly academic LOR and did just fine. It's anecdotal, but shows you probably don't have to worry about this as much as you maybe are.

The better way to look at this is to meet at least the minimum number of LORs (and try to make them really good LORs), and then you can use your discretion whether the third LOR adds anything to your application.

It's a tiny part of your application though, so keep that in mind. If they say positive things about you that fits the rest of your narrative, you can consider using it. But don't flood admissions with redundant LORs if they aren't speaking to different positive qualities about you.

rachelac

Postby rachelac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am

Jay2021 wrote:I am several years out of college and so far have one professor who got back to me and is going to write a nice letter. I also attended a seminary, which is recorded on my transcripts as a separate degree. I can get a letter from someone there too.

Does it make sense to have 3 letters, one from my regular undergrad, one from the seminary, one professional relationship?

Or should I go crazy finding another professor who may not know me as well?

Also does the letter from professional associate need to be from my direct supervisor or can it be a coworker.

I am in a very similar situation and have one academic, one from a mock trial coach, and one from my supervisor. I'm optimistic it's helping me look well-rounded while still highlighting my academics (I asked the MT coach to focus on academic skills in his letter as well) and feels truer to who I am and what I want to highlight. That said, I'm not interested in attending Y/S, and if I was, I probably would have gone crazy finding another professor.

Personally, I wouldn't submit a letter from a coworker; that makes more sense to me if you're applying to business school or something else where collaboration is highly valued. My impression (from a 0L) is that it's not valued quite as much in law, so I'm not sure what your coworker would really speak to or be qualified to reference.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:00 am

Jay2021 wrote:I am several years out of college and so far have one professor who got back to me and is going to write a nice letter. I also attended a seminary, which is recorded on my transcripts as a separate degree. I can get a letter from someone there too.

Does it make sense to have 3 letters, one from my regular undergrad, one from the seminary, one professional relationship?

Or should I go crazy finding another professor who may not know me as well?

Also does the letter from professional associate need to be from my direct supervisor or can it be a coworker.

if you are far out of college, i think getting one from supervisor instead of professor should be fine. Y puts a premium on 2 professor recs but other than that i don't think it matters much elsewhere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”