2 LSAT Scores Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jay2021

2 LSAT Scores Addendum

Postby Jay2021 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 am

I took the LSAT twice. I am still waiting for results from the second time (just took it now) but I estimate based on practice tests and how I felt on test day that I got about 5-8 points higher (and dare I hope for better?)

Some schools count both or avg, others take the higher. There's not much I can do about it, it is what it is. However some schools say that if you add an explanation they may use only the better score.

So what should I write? I don't really have a fancy excuse. I just wasn't as prepared the first time and probably should have rescheduled or canceled the score. But, I didn't. Spilt milk.

I should also note that my first score isn't terrible it just wasn't enough for the schools I'm trying to get into.

AJordan

Re: 2 LSAT Scores Addendum

Postby AJordan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 am

Unless your first test was 165-170 and the following 175+ I don't see how this applies. The "some schools average" thing was a seller's market tactic that really no longer exists. Outside the... top 3?... most have said it doesn't really matter at all.

Jay2021

Postby Jay2021 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 am

AJordan wrote:Unless your first test was 165-170 and the following 175+ I don't see how this applies. The "some schools average" thing was a seller's market tactic that really no longer exists. Outside the... top 3?... most have said it doesn't really matter at all.

Can you please elaborate? Do you mean that schools say they average but really only use the top score?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 am

Jay2021 wrote:
AJordan wrote:Unless your first test was 165-170 and the following 175+ I don't see how this applies. The "some schools average" thing was a seller's market tactic that really no longer exists. Outside the... top 3?... most have said it doesn't really matter at all.

Can you please elaborate? Do you mean that schools say they average but really only use the top score?

Yes. And even if they actually averaged your scores, an addendum would be pointless in your situation.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:57 am

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/ ... sat-scores

Some of the info is a bit out of date (the three takes limit specifically) but this covers the reasoning pretty well.

The rest of this paraphrases/synthesizes information. For more in-depth info check out some more concrete resources. PM me if you want recs.

The schools at the tip top (T3 was a guess on my part, though H takes so many 1Ls that they are likely not as immune, their lead on accepting GRE is some evidence of this) still have the luxury of weeding through multiple apps with super high LSAT numbers. They will say things like, "we look at trends and decide where the applicant really is... a 167 and a 169 are essentially the same candidate... bla bla bla." As long as admissions care about USNWR rankings they will mostly care about reported numbers and the only reported number, according to the ABA since 2006, is the highest one. So if you're sweating retaking a 155 to a 163, don't. So many schools are competing for that 163 number that they're not going to give more than a cursory glance at the 155.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Don't write an addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”