Columbia Hamilton/Butler Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JKFinn22

New

Re: Columbia Hamilton/Butler

Post by JKFinn22 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:51 am

The Speed of Love wrote:
virginia_direwoolf wrote:What's the general wisdom on the numbers you need for either of these scholarships? I'm at both 75ths, non-URM but don't know if/think that's enough...
I believe the general consensus is a 3.8+/174+ for a Hamilton, which would mean above both 75ths. Being at both 75ths probably gives you a good chance at a Butler, but there are plenty of threads on here that go into more detail than I can recall offhand.

EDIT: For a shot at a Hamilton, that is.

I have an interview scheduled for Monday. Stats are median GPA (3.72) and above 75th LSAT (179). I'm hoping it's for Hamilton/Butler even though I'm not 3.8+! Seems unlikely it's because I'm a fringe candidate though. Already admitted to UVA with a Dillard.

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Can anyone tell me the cutoff for a Butler?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 pm

austinlove wrote:Can anyone tell me the cutoff for a Butler?
There isn’t one, although you almost certainly need to be above both medians and will be competing against dozens of people above both 75th %iles.

CWNBPT

New

Post by CWNBPT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 am

I'd volunteer that my son received a Hamilton Fellowship award roughly a week back (for the fall 2018 class).
It's a three-year fellowship (Columbia mentions the value "...will be no less than $195,700") mentions 1:1 Faculty Mentorship...
Very nice, indeed.
The letter states, "While the majority of Columbia Law School's considerable scholarship grant program continues to be awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need, we are pleased to offer you and a small number of your prospective classmates this exceptional opportunity without regard to financial circumstances." So in this case, the award letter states merit-based.
I was wondering if this would come about (Duke earlier awarded him a merit Mordecai Scholarship/tuition & fees for all 3 years...I won't mention all the other schools to which he applied, but the merit awards are comparable at the 'lower rated' (seems almost comical writing that, as they are all very, very good) schools).
He's accepted at Stanford & Harvard and is waiting on Yale as I write this...looks like the Sophie's Choice is about a month away :).
This Columbia Fellowship is outstanding...as a parent you look at the award and you can't help but get moist eyes seeing the persistence of effort, the accomplishments, the achievements all paying off.

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:25 pm

CWNBPT wrote:I'd volunteer that my son received a Hamilton Fellowship award roughly a week back (for the fall 2018 class).
It's a three-year fellowship (Columbia mentions the value "...will be no less than $195,700") mentions 1:1 Faculty Mentorship...
Very nice, indeed.
The letter states, "While the majority of Columbia Law School's considerable scholarship grant program continues to be awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need, we are pleased to offer you and a small number of your prospective classmates this exceptional opportunity without regard to financial circumstances." So in this case, the award letter states merit-based.
I was wondering if this would come about (Duke earlier awarded him a merit Mordecai Scholarship/tuition & fees for all 3 years...I won't mention all the other schools to which he applied, but the merit awards are comparable at the 'lower rated' (seems almost comical writing that, as they are all very, very good) schools).
He's accepted at Stanford & Harvard and is waiting on Yale as I write this...looks like the Sophie's Choice is about a month away :).
This Columbia Fellowship is outstanding...as a parent you look at the award and you can't help but get moist eyes seeing the persistence of effort, the accomplishments, the achievements all paying off.
Congrats! I can't imagine how proud you must be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CWNBPT

New

Post by CWNBPT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 am

Graybrow wrote:
CWNBPT wrote:I'd volunteer that my son received a Hamilton Fellowship award roughly a week back (for the fall 2018 class).
Very nice, indeed.
Congrats! I can't imagine how proud you must be.
2/11/2018- Yale has accepted my son, as well. Choosing just became more complicated :)...he was 15 for 15 in his applications/acceptances, and more than a handful offered up free tuition/fees (Hamilton mentioned above, Mordecai at Duke)...just wow. Very pleased for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”