resolved Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

Gold

resolved

Post by appind » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:22 am

Last edited by appind on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Re: How to proceed

Post by twiix » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 am

I think writing "Why X" essays for every school you actually want to attend will seriously help your chances. Also, apply earlier. You should be seeing at least SOME acceptances in the T10. I won't speculate with H because I'm unfamiliar how they treat international GPA's and non-traditional applicants.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 am

You applied late. Unless your PS and LORs were extremely bad, I think that was probably what killed your apps.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:54 am

As far as I understand, the GRE for H only comes into play if you have not taken the LSAT. Since you have an LSAT score, I don't think retaking the GRE would impact your chances.

I think your reapplication strategy should be to apply early and broadly, with an application that paints a compelling picture of why you're leaving behind a longer than average career (compared to the avg applicant) to go to law school.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 am

Last edited by appind on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am

Your last post highlighted a few issues:

1. You referred to your own PS as "compelling". I'm sure it was fine, but that stood out as a bit of a red flag that you may have a slightly inflated view of your application materials.

2. Mid-January is late. It's not too late, but it's late. And I'm betting that a lot of the people you heard about who didn't underperform their numbers that late in the game weren't international students.

3. You didn't mention that you'd taken the LSAT 5+ times. Normally, retakes aren't an issue, but if all five scores were reportable, I'd bet that had a lot to do with the waitlists.

4. As far as we know, Harvard is not considering the GRE if you have a reportable LSAT. And your LSAT isn't really that competitive for Harvard in the first place, so I wouldn't gauge your performance by their response.

5. Looking back at your initial post, it does sound like you were a bit too selective in your applications. Yes, you have a high LSAT, but it's just in the sweet spot for CCN. There's nothing to indicate that you're a strong enough candidate to be able to blow off applying to schools like Penn, Michigan, Berkeley, or Cornell, and not applying to those schools was a bad move. If NYU was the school in HYSCCN that you didn't apply to, that was an even worse move, and you shouldn't repeat that mistake again.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Last edited by appind on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Late app can make a big difference. That was probably the biggest (possibly only) factor. (If you want to run the data on LSN to see if it's just selection bias, go ahead, but common knowledge is lateness, on its own, hurts apps quite a bit.)

You may want to get someone to read and give feedback on your PS, if you haven't.

Write a Why X for anywhere that's a serious option that's not HYSCCN. UVA without a Why X is basically a guaranteed WL/ding from my understanding. Also agree that you may have applied too narrowly.

Based on your numbers alone, your odds at H are not great, late app or no. Still worth an app though, because you never know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”