5-Point Worse Retake - Illness Addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Aricole

New

5-Point Worse Retake - Illness Addendum?

Post by Aricole » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Hello all! I did a quick search in this board and have not spotted a similar post.

So you may see from my posts before that my June LSAT dropped from 172 to 167, and I am definitely not planning on a retake for this cycle. I wonder if it would help or hurt to include an illness addendum?

Just as I started my first section, I experienced an unexpected outbreak of Tenosynovitis, essentially huge pain in both wrists. Never had this before and could not really prepare for it. I did manage to finish the test and completed all the questions, and that's why I did not cancel (as I probably should).

My main concern is this sounds really like a bad excuse, even though I could provide medical documents for this, but schools might not bother to request them anyway...

cavalier1138

Re: 5-Point Worse Retake - Illness Addendum?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Schools only care about your highest score.

Shema

New

Re: 5-Point Worse Retake - Illness Addendum?

Post by Shema » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 am

I concur, your highest score is what will be considered. However, what happened maybe a blessing in disguise. Now that you know what can happen to you on an important exam you need to take the medical record you have and make sure that you take advantage of law school testing accommodations (extra time on law school exams). I am no doctor but I have navigated law school accommodations in law school and my concern is that this could happen on a 1L exam which could have crippling affects on you job prospects. What happened to you plausibly falls under 504 federal law so an accredited law school receiving federal dollars would under most circumstances honor the accommodation and give you time and a half extra on exams and any other reasonable accommodations (PM me if you want more details). In advance, no there is no need to mention accommodations until you are admitted to what every law school you ultimately decide on. And, no taking accommodations will not hurt you academically. Most schools do a great job at protecting students' confidentiality and from any sort of discrimination or unfair prejudice because of the federal law at play with accommodations.

Also investigate whether what happened to you is ever related to anxiety. If so that is another common basis for testing accommodations.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”