Where should I apply? 3.8 GPA, LSAT 162 - taking again in September highest PT 165

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATXStudent

Where should I apply? 3.8 GPA, LSAT 162 - taking again in September highest PT 165

Postby ATXStudent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

edit out
Last edited by ATXStudent on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Re: Where should I apply? 3.8 GPA, LSAT 162 - taking again in September highest PT 165

Postby guynourmin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

this comment seems pretty on point.

ATXStudent wrote:I am not limited by Geography.

Law schools are very regional, so even if you aren't limited in where you apply/go, where you go can significantly limit your employment prospects. Something to consider.

ATXStudent

Re: Where should I apply? 3.8 GPA, LSAT 162 - taking again in September highest PT 165

Postby ATXStudent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I will for sure keep that in mind. I am looking primarily for a law school in a major city, but again I don't want to limit myself.

I am just looking to see what schools people recommend or think based on my stats are a good fit for me.
Last edited by ATXStudent on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 pm

guynourmin wrote:this comment seems pretty on point.

ATXStudent wrote:I am not limited by Geography.

Law schools are very regional, so even if you aren't limited in where you apply/go, where you go can significantly limit your employment prospects. Something to consider.

To piggyback on this thought, you should keep your geographic goals acutely focused in your search for the right law school. Almost every market is at least minimally interested in ties to that market, and when you treat law school like you should (a three year professional training for an eventual career), you should realize that the law school you come from matters for ending up in that geographic market. There are schools that place in every market because of a heightened sense of prestige, but beyond that, you should be applying to schools in legal markets where the law school places graduates. As it stands, you're not targeting the schools that place nationally, so it becomes doubly important you target schools in markets where you want to practice, and equally important, where you can sell your connection to the market.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 pm

ATXStudent wrote:I will for sure keep that in mind. I am looking primarily for a law school in a major city, but again I don't want to limit myself. Virginia, Cornell, etc all great schools situation in smaller towns (but as you mentioned have regional dominance on a given market). I am truly fine living anywhere, I have lived in the South, spent a good amount of time on the East coast and lived in the mid-west for the past couple of years during undergrad.

I am just looking to see what schools people recommend or think based on my stats are a good fit for me.

First, http://mylsn.info

Play with that for the best approximation of your admissions chances.

Second, The schools you're accepting as regional dominance are actually nationally placing universities, so that's a bad approximation. With a 3.8/162(or 165), you're at/below most medians in the nationally placing schools like Virginia and Cornell.

Your goal shouldn't be where you get in. Your goal should be the right career coming out of that school in the region you want.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”