How much more is Georgetown worth than GW?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrLions

How much more is Georgetown worth than GW?

Postby MrLions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

How much more would you pay for Georgetown than for GW? Assume D.C. Biglaw and federal clerkship are goals

Shaggier1

Re: How much more is Georgetown worth than GW?

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am

When I was a 0L I would have been willing to pay sticker for GULC over significant money at GW. In hindsight, I would have been wrong to do so (I ended up at Boalt so it was all moot). Knowing what I know today (heading into my 5th year of practice), I wouldn't spend any more than an additional $50-75K to go to GULC over GW. Instead, I'd take what I could get at GW and commit to finishing as high in the top of my class as I could.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:When I was a 0L I would have been willing to pay sticker for GULC over significant money at GW. In hindsight, I would have been wrong to do so (I ended up at Boalt so it was all moot). Knowing what I know today (heading into my 5th year of practice), I wouldn't spend any more than an additional $50-75K to go to GULC over GW. Instead, I'd take what I could get at GW and commit to finishing as high in the top of my class as I could.

At what point in your law school career did you get the impression that commitment was all it took to end up at the top of the class?

I'm not saying that your price point is incorrect, but median students at GW cannot expect the same employment options as median students at Georgetown.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 pm

MrLions wrote:How much more would you pay for Georgetown than for GW? Assume D.C. Biglaw and federal clerkship are goals

I'm virtually certain I would have been unemployed from the great recession had I attended GW instead of Georgetown (I was around top 1/3 at the height of the financial crisis). Just a year before, median at GW was getting biglaw. By the height of the great recession, it was basically just the top 10%/LR types at GW, but top 1/3 at GULC was mostly squeaking through. It is very, very hard to accurately value the risk calculus, especially without knowing how the economy will look in a year.

That being said, if your primary ambition is D.C. Biglaw (not just any biglaw) and a federal clerkship, you would be wise to hold out for at least CCN.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”