GPA range Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KrisBars

GPA range Question

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Hello!

My name is Kris, I am 26 years old. My girlfriend is applying for the FBI college initiate hiring program and is very likely to get in. I need to make a decision on where to go to law school based on the list of locations available for her placement. I have a question about the GPA range.

I have an overall GPA of 2.9 currently and at the end of my degree it should be around 3.1

The reason is I have 10 F's on a transcript from 2010. I have had a 4.0 GPA for the past 5 semesters. When I graduate I believe my LSAC GPA will be back to around 3.0-3.2

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I have taken a full length practice exam and scored 156 on it.

I have one internship at a D.A's office in a city of around 180,000 residents.

My question is what GPA range is reasonable for me to anticipate acceptance. Seeing that I'm limited I'm being very careful to go to places I believe I will definitely be accepted and as such she is choosing cities with Ranked and Unranked schools for her location choices for the FBI.

My idea of 'guaranteed' ( i know nothings guaranteed) acceptance is a 25th-75th of 2.75-3.1.

Seeing however that I have had a 4.0 for so long following my horrible transcript from 2010, do you think that it would be reasonable to expect i could get in better schools than this? In a normal situation I would be optimistic and try, however given my situation, if we pick locations based on a 50/50 chance of acceptance, there is a chance I won't be able to attend at all.

KrisBars

Re: GPA range Question

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm

I failed to mention that 12 credit hours are graduate credits in a Masters of Public Administration program as well.

OakBrook2021

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm

It all depends on your LSAT. You also probably shouldn't be choosing schools based on where your SO ends up. That might work for other fields, but going to a shitty LS can be disastrous

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm

KrisBars wrote:I failed to mention that 12 credit hours are graduate credits in a Masters of Public Administration program as well.

these hours won't count towards your lsac gpa

OakBrook2021

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Also this can help you guesstimate your chances http://mylsn.info/

KrisBars

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:42 pm

normally i would agree, however i have all of the funds to pay for a degree completely set aside already and leaving her isn't in the plans. So assuming that I had a struggle finding employment, I wouldn't have the massive debt issue that comes along with it.

Also those graduate credits ALSO count as my undergraduate upper electives so I believe they would factor in?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Let's start with a few housekeeping questions:

1. What was the reason for the F's? Is there anyway you can get those changed to retroactive withdrawals, or do you have a really good reason for them that was beyond your control?

2. When are you planning to take the LSAT and when are you going to apply? You shouldn't be taking the LSAT until you've done enough prep where you can offset your GPA with a high LSAT. Think 180, but definitely 170+.

I think you're going about this the wrong way and thinking about it the wrong way. You shouldn't be targeting schools based on GPA ranges they typically accept, and you shouldn't be targeting schools exclusively based on where an SO might end up.

What do you want to do with a law degree? Where do you want to do it? What areas of law interest you? These questions are foundational, but it could also help drive your law school search.

KrisBars

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 pm

So basically what you're saying is the LSAT weighs heavier than the GPA issue?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:45 pm

KrisBars wrote:So basically what you're saying is the LSAT weighs heavier than the GPA issue?

They both weigh heavily, but you'll be at or below the 25th percentile at any school worth going to realistically, even if you have the money to pay for it and won't be incurring debt.

But again, what are you looking to get out of law school and what kind of career are you imagining following law school?

OakBrook2021

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:50 pm

KrisBars wrote:So basically what you're saying is the LSAT weighs heavier than the GPA issue?

They weigh equally, but your GPA is relatively low for "good" schools, meaning you'll need a great LSAT to overcome it. Going to a mediocre school will probably just be a waste of your time and money. If your goal is to go into private practice (or have a job for that matter) I'd wait until you have an LSAT as well as see where your SO ends up before deciding whether to go to school

KrisBars

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Honestly I'm happy with small-mid size firm work, In an ideal world I would like to work in-house somewhere doing compliance or mergers and acquisitions. If not then Intellectual Property work at a firm.

On the SO issue, we've lived together for two years and are just waiting until graduation to get married, its not really an option to not follow. Also, one of her immediate relatives is a Senior V.P. at Exxon. We were hoping that assuming my GPA was high during 1L the reference could land a summer internship which would help with the in-house cause immensely.

KrisBars

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm

UVA2B wrote:Let's start with a few housekeeping questions:

1. What was the reason for the F's? Is there anyway you can get those changed to retroactive withdrawals, or do you have a really good reason for them that was beyond your control?

I didn't know this was a thing. How would you go about doing that?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 pm

KrisBars wrote:

I didn't know this was a thing. How would you go about doing that?

It depends on the reasons for the F's, but some school registrars will change if you failed the classes because you forgot to drop them or something to that effect. If you just sucked academically, it's not going to happen, but usually cluster failures like this tend to come because either the person just sucked academically OR they mishandled things administratively. They will sometimes work with you on the latter.

KrisBars

Postby KrisBars » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 pm

UVA2B wrote:
KrisBars wrote:

They will sometimes work with you on the latter.

I was fresh out of high school at a community college and just stopped showing up for classes.

OakBrook2021

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm

I mean where you go to school and your grades (for the most part) will be what determines your ability to land a job. I don't really see you doing much M&A work or IP at a traditional small firm though. Also, it's not like a small firm or midsize is easy to land. If you go to a school where your GPA is above median (or 25% for that matter) your probably going to face an uphill battle just to land a job as a practicing lawyer

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:02 pm

KrisBars wrote:Honestly I'm happy with small-mid size firm work, In an ideal world I would like to work in-house somewhere doing compliance or mergers and acquisitions. If not then Intellectual Property work at a firm.

On the SO issue, we've lived together for two years and are just waiting until graduation to get married, its not really an option to not follow. Also, one of her immediate relatives is a Senior V.P. at Exxon. We were hoping that assuming my GPA was high during 1L the reference could land a summer internship which would help with the in-house cause immensely.

Ok, well you're essentially all over the map then on your professional goals, so I'm guessing you actually have very little clue what you want to do with a law degree, but that's ok. What about a geographic preference and where do you have ties geographically?

In order to get your ideal goal (in-house at a large corporation), you'll first more than likely need to go to a big firm where you can get high level M&A/corporate experience. That generally requires you to target a certain subset of schools. And if you want to work at a small law firm, it'll be more about where you want to settle down eventually and where you can successfully network continuously both during the school year and during the summers interning and working at firms like that.

You seem to be pretty early and under-informed on the realities of the legal market and how that should affect the way you approach law school decisions. You don't seem particularly ready to make the jump into law school, so you might want to try following your SO to wherever the FBI sends her, getting a job and valuable work experience, while researching the legal profession and where you find yourself in it. Then you can craft an appropriate law school application strategy. But you don't seem particularly ready for that yet.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm

KrisBars wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
KrisBars wrote:

They will sometimes work with you on the latter.

I was fresh out of high school at a community college and just stopped showing up for classes.

You could try going to the community college registrar to see if you can convince them that you meant to drop the classes but didn't understand what that took at the time and see what they say. I doubt they'll retroactively withdraw you from the classes and amend your transcripts, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”