Looking for scholarships (3.4-3.5 with 160 LSAT)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Interlinked

Looking for scholarships (3.4-3.5 with 160 LSAT)

Postby Interlinked » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum but it seems like the answers given are extremely intelligent(for the most part). I have never taken the LSAT and plan on taking it in February. It should be noted that I am a junior right now at a Top 50 university. I am trying to start getting some ideas about scholarships. Does anyone know of any merit based scholarships that begin at around a 3.4-3.5 GPA and possibly a 160 LSAT? I know that Pepperdine offers a scholarship as does Pittsburgh Law starting in those areas. Anyone have any more information? Im writing this in a rush so please excuse any mistakes.

UVA2B

Re: Looking for scholarships (3.4-3.5 with 160 LSAT)

Postby UVA2B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Get the LSAT first, then worry about where you'll get a scholarship.

All schools offer merit-based scholarships based on the strength of your numbers outside of Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. If you want an idea of what kind of scholarship you have a shot at in a given school, use the pre-law search tool on http://mylsn.info

You're very early in this process, and really you should take a year or two off after graduating undergrad. There is no rush to go to law school. It's not going anywhere.

Also, with numbers in the range you're thinking, you need to start thinking about what region you want to practice law in, because you'll only be getting into regional schools. Where are you from and where would you like to practice? That will drive your search for the right school more than where you'll get the best scholarship.

Interlinked

Postby Interlinked » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:04 am

UVA2B wrote:Get the LSAT first, then worry about where you'll get a scholarship.

All schools offer merit-based scholarships based on the strength of your numbers outside of Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. If you want an idea of what kind of scholarship you have a shot at in a given school, use the pre-law search tool on http://mylsn.info

You're very early in this process, and really you should take a year or two off after graduating undergrad. There is no rush to go to law school. It's not going anywhere.

Also, with numbers in the range you're thinking, you need to start thinking about what region you want to practice law in, because you'll only be getting into regional schools. Where are you from and where would you like to practice? That will drive your search for the right school more than where you'll get the best scholarship.

Hello, thank you. I am from Alabama, however I am going to school in Oregon. But I would like to practice near home(meaning the south) or on the west coast. My Dad is a practicing attorney with his own firm and I am trying to finish school as soon as possible to secure a job with him before he decides to retire. I hope to focus on environmental law.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 am

Interlinked wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Get the LSAT first, then worry about where you'll get a scholarship.

Hello, thank you. I am from Alabama, however I am going to school in Oregon. But I would like to practice near home(meaning the south) or on the west coast. My Dad is a practicing attorney with his own firm and I am trying to finish school as soon as possible to secure a job with him before he decides to retire. I hope to focus on environmental law.

Ok, that's a whole mess to deal with, to be honest.

If you want to take over your dad's firm, and he gave assurance that you'll take over the family business, go to any school you can go to for free.

If you need a job and/or training before you take over the family business, you should probably focus on the schools in the Southeast in order to get training in that market.

If you have no guarantee and want to practice out West, you need to improve on your opportunities and get the best schools of USC/UCLA/UCB/Stanford/UW.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”