How accurate is MyLSN search?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AmbulanceChas3r

New

How accurate is MyLSN search?

Postby AmbulanceChas3r » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi guys,
I'm currently a junior in UG and met with my school's prelaw advisor yesterday to discuss law school applications for the future. I've run a bunch of different searches on the MyLSN.info site with my expected numbers (probably ~3.4 / 175, taking the LSAT in 2 weeks) and it says I would have a good shot at Columbia, Michigan, Penn, and other T14s. However, he wasn't so sure I would be competitive at T14s since my GPA is pretty shitty and my softs are pretty nonexistent (I play a club sport as my only extracurricular club and I don't have a job during the semester). The sample size for MyLSN does seem pretty small and he knows a lot of LS admissions officers pretty well so I'm starting to doubt a little.
Would it be necessary to stack a lot of ECs/other sorts to overcome my low GPA? Or is he just giving me the scared straight talk so I don't slack off?

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: How accurate is MyLSN search?

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:15 pm

UG prelaw advisors are basically always wrong in all respects and should be ignored. As for MyLSN, it's generally accurate for what it purports to show: the self-reported cycle results of people with particular stats. That doesn't mean it's accurate for predicting what will happen to you if you have identical numbers, but it's pretty close.

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Postby AmbulanceChas3r » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:21 pm

malleus discentium wrote:UG prelaw advisors are basically always wrong in all respects and should be ignored. As for MyLSN, it's generally accurate for what it purports to show: the self-reported cycle results of people with particular stats. That doesn't mean it's accurate for predicting what will happen to you if you have identical numbers, but it's pretty close.

so if my numbers show 70%+ for a school and no one in the list has crazy softs I have a pretty good shot?
thanks man!

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Yeah, as mentioned, MyLSN is good as a rough indicator. But stop going to your prelaw advisor. Literally none of them know what the fuck they're doing.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:34 am

Echo what's said upthread; would also recommend paying more attention to recent applicants, which won't necessarily be obvious if you just look at percentages. Some T13s have made recent departures from their past admissions trends (see Cornell)

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 am

NotAGolfer wrote:Echo what's said upthread; would also recommend paying more attention to recent applicants, which won't necessarily be obvious if you just look at percentages. Some T13s have made recent departures from their past admissions trends (see Cornell)

Any others?

para219

New

Postby para219 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:29 am

NotAGolfer wrote:Echo what's said upthread; would also recommend paying more attention to recent applicants, which won't necessarily be obvious if you just look at percentages. Some T13s have made recent departures from their past admissions trends (see Cornell)

Interested in why you say this about cornell because it's one of my target schools this upcoming cycle.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:43 am

malleus discentium wrote:UG prelaw advisors are basically always wrong in all respects and should be ignored. As for MyLSN, it's generally accurate for what it purports to show: the self-reported cycle results of people with particular stats. That doesn't mean it's accurate for predicting what will happen to you if you have identical numbers, but it's pretty close.

My prelaw advisor told me that the LSAT was not really learnable and that I should just accept my low 150s score. :roll:

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 pm

para219 wrote:

Interested in why you say this about cornell because it's one of my target schools this upcoming cycle.

Cornell used to be more splitter friendly, but wasn't last cycle

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:

Any others?

NYU, kind of

doggozeg

New

Postby doggozeg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:38 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

Any others?

NYU, kind of

To me, NYU is easier get into than expected given its rank, probably easier than Penn and UVA.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�