What made you choose to postpone another year to apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Silver

What made you choose to postpone another year to apply?

Post by AvatarMeelo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Alright folks, would love to hear from those of you that ultimately made the decision to wait another year to apply whether it was to boost GPA or get a higher LSAT score. Was it worth it for you? What factors were most important to you? Have any of you felt you were already out of school for a long time and felt the need to go back?

Would truly love some encouragement right now. I pretty much need a 10 point gain before having a shot any of the t-13 schools and not sure whether I'll make it before the LSAT in two weeks. Plus I'm a splitter so doesn't seem like December might be a good idea. Postponing to next year seems like the logical choice to me, but it's a big decision and I'd really like to hear from others who made the same. I've been out two years, and a third doesn't seem so bad to me, but I've got personal reasons that's pushing me to start next year.

Platopus

Gold

Re: What made you choose to postpone another year to apply?

Post by Platopus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:16 pm

I originally planned to take 2 years off. Really wanted NYU. Planned to take June 2015 but didn't feel like I was reaching my fullest potential confidently yet. Postponed to October 2015. Scored a 166, didn't feel like it was my best. Along with a small mishap with my watch, I also got stuck on games. I knew I wasn't at my best because leading up to the test I got stuck on games about 40% of the time, and my practice tests were declining leading up to the test.

With my 166 and 3.7, I decided I would just apply to Berkeley (because their median at the time was a 166) to see if I got in, and if not I would wait another year to retake. Wasn't ready to take again in December 2015, and I didn't want to be a reapplicant to all the other schools if I didn't have a shot. My personal statement wasn't that strong, probably because it was rushed. I didn't get in - not even put into faculty review.

Took a few months off from law school apps and stared studying again in April 2016. I did every practice test before so I was studying only on retakes, but I didn't remember most tests. My logic games really improved because I took a break and was able to spend more time just drilling them. Took June 2016 and got a 169. Spent July - early September perfecting my personal statement, and wrote tons of "why x" essays. All apps submitted by thanksgiving. I ended up getting into Berkeley and 8/11 T14 schools I applied to - including NYU (though I was initially waitlisted). I think it was obviously worth it for me because I would never have gotten into my dream school without another year, but I will say adding a whole extra year of your life dedicated to law school admissions takes a big mental toll on you. You get burnt out. Make sure it doesn't start to control your life because the app process and waiting for months for decisions is really tough.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Keilz wrote:I think it was obviously worth it for me because I would never have gotten into my dream school without another year, but I will say adding a whole extra year of your life dedicated to law school admissions takes a big mental toll on you. You get burnt out. Make sure it doesn't start to control your life because the app process and waiting for months for decisions is really tough.
Part of me is unwilling to spend any more time on this process but the other part of me knows that if I do this now, it'll be rewarded in the future. I'm feeling kind of burnt out from studying for the LSAT right now which is scary because I'm pretty sure I can do better but I'm also running out of time before the exam... which is in less than two weeks. Would really, really love to attend NYU but not happening with the way things are going right now.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 pm

I'll have been out of undergrad a little over three years by the time I matriculate. For what it's worth, I've talked to a lot of attorneys and not a single one ever felt like they spent too much time between undergrad and law school (whereas many felt like they hadn't spent enough). Life experience, whether in the workforce or as a volunteer, is invaluable.

I was thinking of applying two years ago (which would have given me one year between undergrad and law school). I would have been applying with one year of volunteer experience and a 168. I delayed to get a better LSAT and take a volunteer position abroad. Coming back around, I'll have a 174 LSAT, two years of volunteer experience, and fluency in another language. Basically, two extra years was the difference between being a Duke/Berkeley/NW applicant and being a HYS applicant. So yeah, more time can work out well for you. Do what you can before the LSAT and don't fear a retake or another year out. It could totally change your path for the better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:21 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Keilz wrote:I think it was obviously worth it for me because I would never have gotten into my dream school without another year, but I will say adding a whole extra year of your life dedicated to law school admissions takes a big mental toll on you. You get burnt out. Make sure it doesn't start to control your life because the app process and waiting for months for decisions is really tough.
Part of me is unwilling to spend any more time on this process but the other part of me knows that if I do this now, it'll be rewarded in the future. I'm feeling kind of burnt out from studying for the LSAT right now which is scary because I'm pretty sure I can do better but I'm also running out of time before the exam... which is in less than two weeks. Would really, really love to attend NYU but not happening with the way things are going right now.
If you're feeling this way, I would definitely recommend taking a couple months off. You don't want to cram the whole app process into a small window anyway. This process has such a big impact on your career, and you don't want to feel rushed. Reschedule to December, February, or even June, and take your time. My tests went way better after a break.

Most people have personal reasons to go to school at a certain time, I did, but I knew that attending a T14 was important to me and I would regret it if I didn't try my hardest. Plus, if you're working, you have more time to save your money.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 am

Last edited by MrAdultman on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 pm

MrAdultman wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Sounds like you should take a year off. What's the disadvantage in doing so? If you've got a decent job, and in particular if you're enjoying your current life situation, I don't see the rush. I've taken more time off than you, though I've had my LSAT, GPA and LOR's set since college, just to explore the world and some career options. In the end, I had several years of profound personal growth, got to spend time in my hometown near my family, and confirmed my interest in law. And, you know, was able to enjoy my life. Obviously it's a very personal choice and everyone is different, but I'm very happy with how I've spent my time.
Taking another year off is in definitely in the cards. Not sure how much improvement I can feasibly make before the test in less than 10 days. I've decided to take it and see where my score's at before reattempting a third time next June or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”