- Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ilpsm

Bronze

Recommendations - Undergrad/Grad

Post by ilpsm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to get my ducks in a row for this admissions cycle and have a question about who to ask for recommendation letters. Any advice is appreciated and I apologize if a similar thread has been posted.

I did a combined bachelors/masters degree at my school where the fourth year was predominantly my masters classes. Because that program was small and offered extracurricular activities involving the professors in it (namely a national case competition which was moderated by one of my professors in particular), I definitely have a stronger connection to those professors. As I'm preparing to reach out, I'm realizing that all three professors I would like to ask for a recommendation are from the graduate program (one is the moderator of that case competition, one is an attorney who I had for 3 classes and who is published widely in her field, and the third is a professor whose class I performed particularly well in and who used to be a partner at the firm I work at). In addition, a fourth professor from the graduate program who I had for 2 classes went to Stanford law and is incredibly successful, but I definitely am not as close with him.

My question is this - is it an issue to be asking three professors from my graduate program for recommendations? I am not especially close with any professors from my undergraduate program save for one who I had freshman year. Also, do you think it's worth replacing one of the first three with the professor who went to Stanford?

Thanks again for any guidance.

Edit: not sure if it's relevant but my grades are practically the same across both programs
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pozzo

Gold

Re: Recommendations - Undergrad/Grad

Post by Pozzo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 am

I don't see any issue with using the graduate program recommenders. You want academic recommendations from people who know you and your work well. Sounds like the grad folks would be the better fit. Re: the Stanford alum, I'd only consider using him if you are applying to Stanford, and in that case only for your Stanford app. S does put a bit of a premium on its alumni when it comes to recommendation letters. However, if his recommendation is going to be vague and generic, you're likely better served by the others even for S.

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks so much! I plan on applying to Stanford but truthfully would rather be in the northeast so am not too worried about that app, so I may just not bother. I don't think his recommendation would be too vague or generic but probably lackluster in comparison to the other two.
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingContradiction

New

Post by WalkingContradiction » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Granted I was a few years out from my undergrad and much closer to my graduate degree, but I did not use any undergrad professors and instead used two grad school professors. Now attending a T6, so it didnt hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”