-

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spicysalmonroll

New

-

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 am

-
Last edited by spicysalmonroll on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Applying Early with current score, then Updating with Better LSAT

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 am

What's your GPA, and what is "low 170s"? There is a difference between a 171 and a 172 when you're applying to HYSCCN, but there's no appreciable difference between a 175 and a 180.

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 pm

-
Last edited by spicysalmonroll on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:58 pm

There are many questions to be answered here that would give us a better understanding of your situation. For example, are you a URM? Will you be a KJD, or do you have work experience? If so, how many years and what jobs have you had? Soft factors are huge especially with regards to HYS. With that being said, your current stats give you a solid chance of getting into H, but Y and S are far harder to predict. I would recommend applying after September, and adding addendum stating that you will be taking the test again in December. You don't necessarily have to "update" your application because LSAC automatically sends the schools you applied to your new score. They probably wont touch your file until January, but if you're confident you can score high enough in December it will be worth the wait.

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:37 pm

MercW07 wrote: I would recommend applying after September, and adding addendum stating that you will be taking the test again in December. You don't necessarily have to "update" your application because LSAC automatically sends the schools you applied to your new score. They probably wont touch your file until January, but if you're confident you can score high enough in December it will be worth the wait.

Would LSAC notify the schools if I registered for the December LSAT? (i.e. is there something in the system that would flag my application as "incomplete" if I register for December, even if I submitted everything with my current stats) The best case scenario is that my current stats (or my September score) will be good enough that I actually hear back before December. If not, Id rather have them review my files first, and if there's no news, I could take my December test and have them reconsider.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm

LSAC will note that you're taking the December LSAT, but I don't think that flags you as "incomplete" for any schools.

But what about the part of the post you ignored? And in addition to those questions, why are you so fixated on Harvard? It's a great school, but whenever a 0L is focused single-mindedly on Harvard, it usually means that they're chasing prestige.

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:07 pm

think i reserve the right to withhold information that could compromise the purpose of posting under a nickname.
if I were to go into my softs, it would be relatively easy to identify who i am given the other info I've already provided (esp if you went to an ivy ug)

I should also add, I don't know what part of my post made you think I'm fixated on harvard, but in any case, harvard does happen to be the most predictable of the top couple law schools in terms of admissions. and yes, prestige unfortunately matters in this world

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm

spicysalmonroll wrote:think i reserve the right to withhold information that could compromise the purpose of posting under a nickname.
if I were to go into my softs, it would be relatively easy to identify who i am given the other info I've already provided (esp if you went to an ivy ug)

I should also add, I don't know what part of my post made you think I'm fixated on harvard, but in any case, harvard does happen to be the most predictable of the top couple law schools in terms of admissions. and yes, prestige unfortunately matters in this world

Yes, prestige matters. But there are very few jobs that a Harvard JD gets you which you can't get with a CCN degree (and if you have the numbers for Harvard, you can usually get a very good scholarship from one of those).

So what do you want to do with your degree? And since this would not out you: are you a URM, and are you a K-JD student?

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
spicysalmonroll wrote:think i reserve the right to withhold information that could compromise the purpose of posting under a nickname.

Yes, prestige matters. But there are very few jobs that a Harvard JD gets you which you can't get with a CCN degree (and if you have the numbers for Harvard, you can usually get a very good scholarship from one of those).

So what do you want to do with your degree? And since this would not out you: are you a URM, and are you a K-JD student?

im sorry, i think you mean well, but you're taking my post in a different direction and have offered little insight.
I am primarily interested in knowing what the pros and cons would be of applying with the great score i already have (low 170s) and if I don't get a call, taking the december lsat to update with an excellent score (which i'd rather not have to go through if I can)

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Applying Early with great score, then Updating with excellent score vs. waiting to apply until the excellent score

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:39 pm

*sigh*

I checked out your post history. You still shouldn't be looking at law school for your desired track, and no one can provide you with better information than you have already gotten, since you refuse to answer some extremely important questions that totally change the game. Have fun, good luck with your cycle, and please reconsider law school (although a whole thread of people telling you this was a bad idea didn't change your mind, so I don't see why you'd start now).

spicysalmonroll

New

Re: Applying Early with great score, then Updating with excellent score vs. waiting to apply until the excellent score

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:52 pm

again, i think you mean well, and thanks for the help, but please try harder next time to keep your negative energy to yourself because it's beginning to bother me. should've known when you began to criticize me for a harvard fixation you imagined in an original post that didn't even mention harvard

anyway, as you said yourself, you don't know some important information about me and that's enough reason to stop pretending you can decide whether or not I should do something with my life. also, you hijacked my post, and no i dont think i've gotten all the information available on my original question.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:02 pm

This is why I TLS :mrgreen:

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Well this thread took a turn :shock: The answers to those questions are so important because lets just say you're a first generation college graduate who is LGBTQ, as well as a URM applicant with 10 years of military service, then you probably don't even need to worry about when you apply because you're likely going to get in everywhere regardless. If, on the other hand, you're a KJD with absolutely no soft factors going for you then you are going to want to not only postpone your application, but postpone law school all together until you get some life experience. Basically what Im saying is that it is nearly impossible to answer your original question without at least some of your soft factor information. I understand your want to withhold information, but because you refuse to answer some basic questions (that would certainly not out you) no one with be able to give you accurate advice.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:03 pm

spicysalmonroll wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What's your GPA, and what is "low 170s"? There is a difference between a 171 and a 172 when you're applying to HYSCCN, but there's no appreciable difference between a 175 and a 180.

3.85+, Phi beta kappa from a top ivy undergrad (HYP), 172, hoping for HYS

If you had 3.95+ I'd say go ahead and apply with a 172.

Actually tbh, you're probably fine. Check this years spreadsheet - 172 with a good gpa you should be totally fine

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:21 pm

thanks for the help fam. looks like there's no harm in applying with my current stats then updating later if need be.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�