Is any kind of work experience beneficial for law school admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yis

New

Is any kind of work experience beneficial for law school admission?

Postby yis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Hey! I'm an international student and I'd like to apply to one of the top law schools (the ones with the most financial aid). I know that some schools really want their applicants to have work experience (like Harvard, for example), but is any kind of work experience good or do you need something related to law? I'm actually going to be a nurse, but that doesn't have anything to do with law whatsoever, so should I find something else? I know the LSAT is the most important by far, I'm just curious about the work experience.

dabigchina

Silver

Re: Is any kind of work experience beneficial for law school admission?

Postby dabigchina » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Any kind of full time work is going to be fine.

If you are asking what the absolute most useful job would be, I would say some kind of financial services or legal job would be the best.

yis

New

Postby yis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm

dabigchina wrote:Any kind of full time work is going to be fine.

If you are asking what the absolute most useful job would be, I would say some kind of financial services or legal job would be the best.

Thanks for answering so quickly! I'm curious - would being a nurse offer a slight advantage? From what I understand, top schools really like diversity. I'm really worried that they'd think it's strange that I want to go to law school, because I'd pretty much quit the job I studied for four years. Wouldn't that leave a bad impression? Wouldn't they think I give up too easily or that I'm irresolute? :(

studystudystudy

New

Postby studystudystudy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

yis wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Any kind of full time work is going to be fine.

Thanks for answering so quickly! I'm curious - would being a nurse offer a slight advantage? From what I understand, top schools really like diversity. I'm really worried that they'd think it's strange that I want to go to law school, because I'd pretty much quit the job I studied for four years. Wouldn't that leave a bad impression? Wouldn't they think I give up too easily or that I'm irresolute? :(

I think it'll make you stand out. Maybe in your PS you can elaborate as to why your change of careers. Think of it this way.. how many applicants will be able to write about that? Probably thousands will write about why they want to practice law, about following in their family's foot steps, blah blah blah. Yours will stand out. Plus if you have high enough #s, I really don't think you'd have anything to worry about. (just my opinion though)

Calbears123

Bronze

Postby Calbears123 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:54 am

Military probably gives the most meaningful bump.

MrAdultman

New

Postby MrAdultman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 am

Unless you have a chance to be an Olympic athlete, astronaut, or something similarly stand-out, HYS are unlikely to be impressed. Having worked a law-related job is going to be a very minor bump, if any, in your application. It's more the maturity and experience that you gain in the working world that typically makes your application stronger. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use an essay to explain why you're leaving your current field, or pursuing law, but I doubt any admissions officers are going to be concerned that you worked as a nurse for a few/several years.

yis

New

Postby yis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 pm

MrAdultman wrote:Unless you have a chance to be an Olympic athlete, astronaut, or something similarly stand-out, HYS are unlikely to be impressed

I don't want to impress them, I just don't want my softs to be a deal breaker. From the answers I got here, I guess my work experience won't be a disadvantage after all. Thanks for your answers guys.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�