As a potential splitter (PT 35-40 in mid 160s), should I apply this cycle or the next? T14 goals

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spglasses

New

As a potential splitter (PT 35-40 in mid 160s), should I apply this cycle or the next? T14 goals

Postby spglasses » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 pm

I have a GPA below the 25th for the T14 and have been studying for almost 2 month now. I could take the LSAT in Dec, but would my chances at a T14 be lowered applying that late (January) in the cycle?

I am also concerned about the implications of the GRE on the admissions of splitters. I am fairly confident I can reach 170+ by next cycle, but would applying then hurt my admissions chances for next cycle than applying in January for this cycle?

As a side note, I have no financial or otherwise personal reasons that would necessitate me starting law school next fall. In fact, I would prefer to spend the next year in my ancestral country learning the language. However, my priority is doing what's best for my admissions chances.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Keilz

Gold

Re: As a potential splitter (PT 35-40 in mid 160s), should I apply this cycle or the next? T14 goals

Postby Keilz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:53 pm

You're not going to know how well you improve on the LSAT until you actually take it. January isn't too late, but you can also submit apps before you have a score, to get the app in early. If I were you, I would take the LSAT when you feel comfortable that you are ready to score your highest. Since you don't need to start in the fall, apply when you feel you have reached your LSAT max potential. That's the most important thing, esp as a splitter. With a sub 25th GPA you want to get to the 75th percentiles of these schools, to have the best shot.

Focus on maximizing your LSAT score, and worry about crafting your best app after that.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: As a potential splitter (PT 35-40 in mid 160s), should I apply this cycle or the next? T14 goals

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 pm

IMO January is pretty late to apply. It's def a gamble, but it'd be suicidal to rush the LSAT

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 pm

apply next year. Or the year after! Go home, learn a new language, kill the lsat, don't worry about the GRE.

spglasses

New

Postby spglasses » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I still would appreciate more opinions :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�