C&F Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

When I was a freshman I got caught by my college downloading an episode of a TV show. I had to sign some form to get my internet turned back on and then talk to (I think, it feels like forever ago) my resident advisor or something (not a student) for like 5 minutes saying I had learned my lesson. Police were never involved. I literally just remembered that this even happened; obviously I'm going to disclose this, but I'm not sure if I need to write an addendum or not? Just something saying I'm sorry and I never did it again/had any trouble in school ever again? (pls don't quote just in case I guess?)
Last edited by april_ludgate on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

. whoops this is an accidental comment

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 pm

april_ludgate wrote:When I was a freshman I got caught by my college downloading an episode of a TV show. I had to sign some form to get my internet turned back on and then talk to (I think, it feels like forever ago) my resident advisor or something (not a student) for like 5 minutes saying I had learned my lesson. Police were never involved. I literally just remembered that this even happened; obviously I'm going to disclose this, but I'm not sure if I need to write an addendum or not? Just something saying I'm sorry and I never did it again/had any trouble in school ever again? (pls don't quote just in case I guess?)

No addendum needed. In fact, I'm not sure you need to disclose this at all. To what question is this incident responsive?

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 pm

rpupkin wrote: No addendum needed. In fact, I'm not sure you need to disclose this at all. To what question is this incident responsive?


Well I haven't been able to actually look at the apps yet but I assumed on the C&F part there was section for any academic misconduct/reprimands? I'm not even sure how this shows up on my record so I sent an email to ask.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
rpupkin wrote: No addendum needed. In fact, I'm not sure you need to disclose this at all. To what question is this incident responsive?


Well I haven't been able to actually look at the apps yet but I assumed on the C&F part there was section for any academic misconduct/reprimands? I'm not even sure how this shows up on my record so I sent an email to ask.

What you describe is not academic misconduct. It sounds like you violated a residential policy of your dorm.

Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:24 am

rpupkin wrote:Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.


Checked the school's website and what I did is considered referrable to the Office of Student Conduct and is subject to disciplinary action though I didn't get more than a reprimand.

Seems like that would violate, for example, "Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged. In addition to attaching a written explanation in the "Attachments" section of the application, kindly have the Dean or administrative officer in charge of student records forward a detailed explanation of the incident."

Do I really have to get the dean to do that? This is such a headache

cavalier1138
Posts: 4297
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 am

april_ludgate wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.


Checked the school's website and what I did is considered referrable to the Office of Student Conduct and is subject to disciplinary action though I didn't get more than a reprimand.

Seems like that would violate, for example, "Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged. In addition to attaching a written explanation in the "Attachments" section of the application, kindly have the Dean or administrative officer in charge of student records forward a detailed explanation of the incident."

Do I really have to get the dean to do that? This is such a headache


That really doesn't sound like it falls in the described category. If you're paranoid, call/email your school and ask if there is anything on your official record.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.


Checked the school's website and what I did is considered referrable to the Office of Student Conduct and is subject to disciplinary action though I didn't get more than a reprimand.

Seems like that would violate, for example, "Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged. In addition to attaching a written explanation in the "Attachments" section of the application, kindly have the Dean or administrative officer in charge of student records forward a detailed explanation of the incident."

Do I really have to get the dean to do that? This is such a headache


That really doesn't sound like it falls in the described category. If you're paranoid, call/email your school and ask if there is anything on your official record.


I guess what it comes down to is what exactly qualifies as disciplinary sanctions? My internet auto-shut off until I signed a form, and I had to speak to the residence supervisor. Whether that counts as disciplinary sanctions or not determines everything. I emailed the school but it's the weekend so

cavalier1138
Posts: 4297
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:06 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.


Checked the school's website and what I did is considered referrable to the Office of Student Conduct and is subject to disciplinary action though I didn't get more than a reprimand.

Seems like that would violate, for example, "Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged. In addition to attaching a written explanation in the "Attachments" section of the application, kindly have the Dean or administrative officer in charge of student records forward a detailed explanation of the incident."

Do I really have to get the dean to do that? This is such a headache


That really doesn't sound like it falls in the described category. If you're paranoid, call/email your school and ask if there is anything on your official record.


I guess what it comes down to is what exactly qualifies as disciplinary sanctions? My internet auto-shut off until I signed a form, and I had to speak to the residence supervisor. Whether that counts as disciplinary sanctions or not determines everything. I emailed the school but it's the weekend so


For my money, your residence supervisor is not usually in a position to apply disciplinary sanctions, and even if they were, it doesn't sound like that's what happened here. Again, the school is going to know for sure, but it doesn't sound like this qualifies.

And if it does, literally no one will care.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby rpupkin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Look, it's possible that an app will contain a question that captures your download, but don't go out of your way to disclose this. Just answer questions fairly and honestly.


Checked the school's website and what I did is considered referrable to the Office of Student Conduct and is subject to disciplinary action though I didn't get more than a reprimand.

Seems like that would violate, for example, "Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged. In addition to attaching a written explanation in the "Attachments" section of the application, kindly have the Dean or administrative officer in charge of student records forward a detailed explanation of the incident."

Do I really have to get the dean to do that?

No, because the incident you described is not responsive to the question.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your patience. I know I'm being a little paranoid I just don't want any issues down the road.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby april_ludgate » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I contacted the school it turns out that they held some sort of hearing that I wasn't invited to and "formally censured me." So, definitely disclosing. Hoping this one dumb thing I did freshman year doesn't raise any eyebrows.

nrthwst4now
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: C&F Addendum?

Postby nrthwst4now » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:42 pm

april_ludgate wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I contacted the school it turns out that they held some sort of hearing that I wasn't invited to and "formally censured me." So, definitely disclosing. Hoping this one dumb thing I did freshman year doesn't raise any eyebrows.


It shouldn't matter. I got in multiple schools with much worse on my addendum both as a 1L and a transfer. I also have spoken with a fair amount of people who have overcome issues more substantial than yours (not to minimize your situation).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests