CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
personofinterest

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby personofinterest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:25 pm

sonyco wrote:Why not 168 for WashU

Good catch! I think I was looking at too high of GPAs for WashU. Last year, the medial GPA was 3.67, and I think I got confused because they let in some people with 166/167 LSAT with a GPA below 3.74, but still above their median.

For 2017 applicants w/ 3.00-3.74 GPA:
165 LSAT: 0/9
166 LSAT: 2/10 (but one admitted applicant has GPA over 3.67, while the other reports a 3.48).
167 LSAT: 3/18 (but all admitted applicants have GPAs over 3.67).
168 LSAT: 34/34 ... yuuuup.

Thanks for pointing this out. I would amend my prediction to say that WashU should again have a 168 LSAT median. I made my mistake by being hasty. Sorry!

vonrus1

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vonrus1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:31 pm

personofinterest wrote:
sonyco wrote:Why not 168 for WashU

Good catch! I think I was looking at too high of GPAs for WashU. Last year, the medial GPA was 3.67, and I think I got confused because they let in some people with 166/167 LSAT with a GPA below 3.74, but still above their median.

For 2017 applicants w/ 3.00-3.74 GPA:
165 LSAT: 0/9
166 LSAT: 2/10 (but one admitted applicant has GPA over 3.67, while the other reports a 3.48).
167 LSAT: 3/18 (but all admitted applicants have GPAs over 3.67).
168 LSAT: 34/34 ... yuuuup.

Thanks for pointing this out. I would amend my prediction to say that WashU should again have a 168 LSAT median. I made my mistake by being hasty. Sorry!


Wow you just conceptualized something for me I didn't know I was seeing.

I play around with mylsn ranges often and noticed that WUSTL acceptances drop off a cliff in certain ranges. I never really thought to break it down by GPA like that to isolate each LSAT point. That's neat, thanks for this.

There's also a sharp distinction in scholly money too below 168. They really want that LSAT.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby chargers21 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:52 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

personofinterest

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby personofinterest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 pm

chargers21 wrote:
personofinterest wrote:So far, predictions* based on mylsn.info are spot on, assuming median reports are correct. My method was to see what LSAT scores schools accepted for GPA range 3.00-3.74. Most schools had pretty sharp cut-offs (ex. School X would accept >50% of 169s, but 0% of non-URM 168s). Thanks to law schools for obviously gaming the rankings. Hopefully the luck continues!

personofinterest wrote:Penn - 169 - CORRECT
UVA - 169 - CORRECT
Michigan - 169 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point increase from last year)
Duke -169 - CORRECT
NU - 169 - [currently unannounced]
Berkeley - 167 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point increase from last year)
Texas - 167 - [currently unannounced]
Georgetown - 167 - CORRECT
UCLA - 167 - CORRECT
Cornell - 166 - [currently unannounced]
Vandy - 166 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point decrease from last year)
WashU - 166 168 - [currently unannounced] EDIT: Thanks to sonyco, I looked again and mylsn indicates a 168 median, not 166 like I first said.
USC - 165 - CORRECT


*Although I predicted Berkeley's score before they announced it, I hadn't posted predictions on TLS until after they announced. If you look at mylsn.info, you can see a clear line between 166 and 167 scores for Berkeley

I would bet 167 for Cornell, but that their 75th falls to 167.


Could certainly be. There are only 6 people who fit the 166 LSAT, 3-3.74 GPA range, and only one reported to get in. They got in off the waitlist, though, so that could signal Cornell becoming desperate. Or it could be an anomaly, or a false report, or it could signal the median GPA will drop to 3.70. Who knows...

that1one1guy

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:39 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby that1one1guy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Huskies13! wrote:Illinois:
https://law.illinois.edu/admissions/pro ... tatistics/
Size: 154 (+19)
156(+2)/161(+1)/163(+1)
3.34(+.02)/3.62(+.03)/3.72(+.02)



Looks like all that scholarship money they were handing out this year paid off

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby uion1715 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Arizona State:

LSAT - 157/162/164 (-1/+1/+1)

GPA - 3.36/3.75/3.86 (+0.02/+0.11/+0.06)

Class Size - 260 (+32)

https://law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures

Reeeaaalllly nice number for ASU.

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby uhwrestler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:58 pm

personofinterest wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
personofinterest wrote:So far, predictions* based on mylsn.info are spot on, assuming median reports are correct. My method was to see what LSAT scores schools accepted for GPA range 3.00-3.74. Most schools had pretty sharp cut-offs (ex. School X would accept >50% of 169s, but 0% of non-URM 168s). Thanks to law schools for obviously gaming the rankings. Hopefully the luck continues!

personofinterest wrote:Penn - 169 - CORRECT
UVA - 169 - CORRECT
Michigan - 169 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point increase from last year)
Duke -169 - CORRECT
NU - 169 - [currently unannounced]
Berkeley - 167 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point increase from last year)
Texas - 167 - [currently unannounced]
Georgetown - 167 - CORRECT
UCLA - 167 - CORRECT
Cornell - 166 - [currently unannounced]
Vandy - 166 - CORRECT (predicted 1 point decrease from last year)
WashU - 166 168 - [currently unannounced] EDIT: Thanks to sonyco, I looked again and mylsn indicates a 168 median, not 166 like I first said.
USC - 165 - CORRECT


*Although I predicted Berkeley's score before they announced it, I hadn't posted predictions on TLS until after they announced. If you look at mylsn.info, you can see a clear line between 166 and 167 scores for Berkeley

I would bet 167 for Cornell, but that their 75th falls to 167.


Could certainly be. There are only 6 people who fit the 166 LSAT, 3-3.74 GPA range, and only one reported to get in. They got in off the waitlist, though, so that could signal Cornell becoming desperate. Or it could be an anomaly, or a false report, or it could signal the median GPA will drop to 3.70. Who knows...


we were told at the cornell law orientation that we were the strongest academic class at cornell (gpa lsat) so i would not expect a drop in medians...im expecting a slight increase

lsat1996

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby lsat1996 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Are these numbers referring to the percentiles of people attending the school or those that were accepted?

rowdy

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby rowdy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 pm

lsat1996 wrote:Are these numbers referring to the percentiles of people attending the school or those that were accepted?

Attending.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

lsat1996 wrote:Are these numbers referring to the percentiles of people attending the school or those that were accepted?


25/50/75 splits only refer to students who attend, but they give you an idea of what is required for acceptance.

lsat1996

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby lsat1996 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lsat1996 wrote:Are these numbers referring to the percentiles of people attending the school or those that were accepted?


25/50/75 splits only refer to students who attend, but they give you an idea of what is required for acceptance.


How much lower do you think the splits are at the t14 for accepted applicants, not attending?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 pm

lsat1996 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
lsat1996 wrote:Are these numbers referring to the percentiles of people attending the school or those that were accepted?


25/50/75 splits only refer to students who attend, but they give you an idea of what is required for acceptance.


How much lower do you think the splits are at the t14 for accepted applicants, not attending?


There's no way to answer that question, but if anything, we'd probably expect the median to move up, not down. Most applicants above a given school's median likely didn't attend because they had a better option. For the numbers to be lower, we'd have to assume that most applicants who didn't attend decided to go to a lower-ranked school.

MyLSN can give you a better idea of what a school's acceptance range might be, but the medians are generally a good signpost on their own.

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Huskies13! wrote:St. John's:
http://www.stjohns.edu/about/news/2017- ... class-2017
Size: 253 (+20)
GPA ("highest ever")

http://www.stjohns.edu/law/admissions/class-fact-sheet
Size 252 (+19)
Median 158 (0)
75 %ile 160 (0)
25 %ile 153 (+1)
Median 3.58 (+.04)
75 %ile 3.70 (+.02)
25 %ile 3.31(+.15)

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Northern Illinois:
http://www.niu.edu/law/admission/quick_ ... disclaimer
LSAT median: 150 (+2)
GPA median: 3.12 (+.09)
LSAT 25th and 75th percentiles: 146(+1)-153(+2)
GPA 25th and 75th percentiles: 2.78(-.01)-3.52 (+.19)

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Indiana (Bloomington): just confirming what we knew
http://www.law.indiana.edu/about/class-2020.shtml

Applied 1,898 (+265)
Enrolled 161 (-17)
Median LSAT 161 (0)
Median UGPA 3.75 (+.04)

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Pozzo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 am

uion1715 wrote:Arizona State:

LSAT - 157/162/164 (-1/+1/+1)

GPA - 3.36/3.75/3.86 (+0.02/+0.11/+0.06)

Class Size - 260 (+32)

https://law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures

Reeeaaalllly nice number for ASU.


Not surprised at all. While I ultimately didn't end up attending, I applied last cycle and was super impressed with every interaction I had with the school.

hopefullya1L

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby hopefullya1L » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Email received from Gtown today with their medians: 3.79 and 167. Confirms what is already in the spreadsheet, though not sure on those other numbers. What is the source?

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Harvard:
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... and-facts/
Apps: 5755 ((+301)
Size: 562 (-1)
GPA 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 3.96(+.02) / 3.86 / 3.76
LSAT 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 175 / 173(+1) / 170

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Platopus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Speed of Love

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby The Speed of Love » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Platopus wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Harvard:
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... and-facts/
Apps: 5755 ((+301)
Size: 562 (-1)
GPA 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 3.96(+.02) / 3.86 / 3.76
LSAT 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 175 / 173(+1) / 170


Shit.


My sentiments exactly.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby runinthefront » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

This is a half-baked thought, but maybe the pay raise to 180k in NYC may have more kids "taking the risk" instead of "taking the money" at non-T14 schools
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Platopus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 pm

The Speed of Love wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Harvard:
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... and-facts/
Apps: 5755 ((+301)
Size: 562 (-1)
GPA 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 3.96(+.02) / 3.86 / 3.76
LSAT 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 175 / 173(+1) / 170


Shit.


My sentiments exactly.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:30 pm

I guess Harvard really wants to try to get back to that 2nd place in the rankings, huh? :p

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby principalagent » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Mikey wrote:
The Speed of Love wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Harvard:
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... and-facts/
Apps: 5755 ((+301)
Size: 562 (-1)
GPA 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 3.96(+.02) / 3.86 / 3.76
LSAT 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 175 / 173(+1) / 170


Shit.


My sentiments exactly.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fareast_midwest, Google Adsense [Bot] and 14 guests