3rd job in 2 years

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Platopus

3rd job in 2 years

Postby Platopus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Excuse me while I act like a completely neurotic 0L, but I can't help but wonder if I am potentially shooting myself in the foot.

I graduate UG in 2015, and will be 25 in a couple months. After graduating I found full-time employment in a fairly typical office job setting. A year later, I jumped shipped, moved out of state and took another job with a better title (went from an "assistant" to "associate") and pay at another company. I recently interviewed and was offered a position at yet another company. This 2nd move would again be to a position with a better title (dropping the "associate") and slightly better pay. I'm strongly considering the offer, but am a bit hesitant, not only because I will be applying to law school in the fall and don't really want to offend this new company, but also because I would really hate to give off the vibe that I am flighty or unable to really commit to anything for more than a year. I've worked at each company for at least a year.

The potential upside is showing solid career development from a resume standpoint, as each position entails greater responsibilities. Yet I worry I'm going to have a hard time explaining this all to an admissions officer during an interview.

Am I shooting myself in the foot if I accept the offer? I have solid numbers for the T-13, so I know realistically this is only going to really matter at the margins, but I would hate to lock myself out of the T-6 or potentially finding myself scrambling to explain work history at OCI.

lavarman84
#MAGA

Re: 3rd job in 2 years

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 pm

If it's a better job, I'd take it. I don't see it hurting you.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 pm

For admissions to law school, it's entirely about your explanation for moving jobs, not whether that move made any sense. If you can explain your resume, you're good.

Relax, and keep making making smart decisions for your professional profile. It's pretty amazing how success and promotion begets more success and promotion if you play it right.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:29 pm

lavarman84 wrote:If it's a better job, I'd take it. I don't see it hurting you.

UVA2B wrote:For admissions to law school, it's entirely about your explanation for moving jobs, not whether that move made any sense. If you can explain your resume, you're good.

Relax, and keep making making smart decisions for your professional profile. It's pretty amazing how success and promotion begets more success and promotion if you play it right.

Thanks, this was my hunch, I just wanted to ensure I wasn't overlooking something egregious. I'd definitely make the move if law school wasn't in my immediate future, so knowing that it likely won't have any negative impact on my cycle has pretty much sealed the decision.

carsondalywashere

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Anecdotal, but I had the same exact career trajectory and I performed like my numbers indicated I would

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”