Asking for recommendation outside of US?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ylee11

Asking for recommendation outside of US?

Postby ylee11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 pm

I am an international but graduated US high school and college about two years ago.
Now I am back to my country, and I won't be back to US unless there is certain business to do so.
I decided to go to a law school and trying to get recommendation from my professors and former boss in US,
but do you think this process-asking professor via email and professors send recommendation to LSAC- can be done without physical meeting?
(such as having a coffee or face to face time to talk)
Professors don't know me that much and I haven't contact them since last Thangsgiving,
but since I was told academic recommendation is almost necessary, I thought it would be better than not having any.
Do you think I should go to US to physically meet them and ask for recommendation?

Platopus

Re: Asking for recommendation outside of US?

Postby Platopus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

ylee11 wrote:Do you think I should go to US to physically meet them and ask for recommendation?

Why would this be even remotely necessary? Just send the professor a nice, short, professional email explaining your intention to apply to law school this fall and ask if they would be willing to write a recommendation on your behalf. Thank them, and provide any information they would need to write the letter. Thank them again, and offer to update them on the progress of your cycle later in the year. No need to literally fly from another country to arrange a 30 minute coffee meeting. If they can't remember you without you literally going to visit them, they probably shouldn't be writing the letter in the first place.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”