What effect does showing a lot of interest in a school have on your scholarship offer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RSolano

What effect does showing a lot of interest in a school have on your scholarship offer?

Postby RSolano » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 pm

On one hand I'm inclined to think that showing a lot of interest (ie visiting) will help in terms of yield protect and showing that you're serious but does this also make the school more likely to think that they don't need to offer you so much/any money to get you to come there over a higher ranked school?

Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks!

CALaw717

Re: What effect does showing a lot of interest in a school have on your scholarship offer?

Postby CALaw717 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:58 pm

RSolano wrote:On one hand I'm inclined to think that showing a lot of interest (ie visiting) will help in terms of yield protect and showing that you're serious but does this also make the school more likely to think that they don't need to offer you so much/any money to get you to come there over a higher ranked school?

Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks!

I believe it can't hurt (unless you're extremely awkward/shy) but for me, it helped me negotiate scholarship amounts with certain schools, while one in particular offered me a lower scholarship than expected after visiting, and they wouldn't negotiate. My top scholarship (after negotiations) was from a school where I was lucky enough to have arrived just after an upperclassman took some students out on a tour, so the admissions director gave me a personal tour and we had a great, long one-on-one conversation. That's just the luck of circumstance, which could never have happened without visiting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”