Packets for rec writers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
april_ludgate

Packets for rec writers

Postby april_ludgate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:21 pm

So one of the professors who agreed to write my recommendations asked me to send him a packet of information about myself. I asked what that entailed and he just said anything that would be useful for him to know when writing my rec. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should include beyond a CV? Should I include something like my personal statement? I unfortunately spent most of my free time in college (so far, I'm a rising senior) heavily involved in theatre, which I love but will not help me with my law school apps, so I don't really have any "softs." Should I explain that's what I've been doing?

HenryHankPalmer

Re: Packets for rec writers

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm

It may be in your best interest to include some samples of your past work with this professor that you did particularly well. Letters that are just a recitation of your resume aren't particularly meaningful, and it can be hard to tell a professor that. Giving them some examples of your work may make them more inclined to talk about the quality of your academics.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Have you thought about using one of your theatre professors (especially anyone who taught you in a more academic setting)?

I'm really wary of using a professor who wants this kind of thing, because it sounds like they don't know you very well.

april_ludgate

Postby april_ludgate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Have you thought about using one of your theatre professors (especially anyone who taught you in a more academic setting)?

I'm really wary of using a professor who wants this kind of thing, because it sounds like they don't know you very well.

I took two classes with this professor, he gave me an A+ in the first and an A in the second and I think he knows me pretty well. He just seems like he wants to write the most thorough rec possible. I didn't really want to use my theatre professors because I didn't major in it and only took two acting classes, so neither of those professors saw any actual academic work. I majored in political science, so I thought a political science professor was the best bet. He also agreed to be my advisor for my upcoming honors thesis project.

april_ludgate

Postby april_ludgate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:42 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:It may be in your best interest to include some samples of your past work with this professor that you did particularly well. Letters that are just a recitation of your resume aren't particularly meaningful, and it can be hard to tell a professor that. Giving them some examples of your work may make them more inclined to talk about the quality of your academics.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately out of the classes I took with him I only had to write one actual paper, and it's a 30 page long paper about prosecutorial discretion, so maybe I'll attach it with the caveat that it's just a reminder and that he doesn't have to actually read the whole thing again haha. I also think he was maybe trying to get at who I am/why I want to go to law school, so that's why I thought maybe some type of personal statement.

Will McAvoy

Postby Will McAvoy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

I think your PS would be most helpful if its already complete, or close.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm

I sent my professor a copy of my law school resume, list of courses I took with him and grades, copy of my personal statement, list of schools I am applying to and dates applications open, and a brief summary of my interests in attending law school. I've regularly kept up with this professor since I graduated and have met up for drinks, coffee, lunch, etc. regularly, so it was more for reference and less for memory. Beyond just a resume though, you'll want to give the professor enough to understand your interest in applying to law school, the overall theme of your application, and whatever they'll need to help jog their memory about specific courses and papers.

april_ludgate

Postby april_ludgate » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Will McAvoy wrote:I think your PS would be most helpful if its already complete, or close.

Platopus wrote:I sent my professor a copy of my law school resume, list of courses I took with him and grades, copy of my personal statement, list of schools I am applying to and dates applications open, and a brief summary of my interests in attending law school. I've regularly kept up with this professor since I graduated and have met up for drinks, coffee, lunch, etc. regularly, so it was more for reference and less for memory. Beyond just a resume though, you'll want to give the professor enough to understand your interest in applying to law school, the overall theme of your application, and whatever they'll need to help jog their memory about specific courses and papers.

Thanks so much guys! My PS sadly isn't close to done but I've got something similar I can use so I think I'll send that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”