Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby guynourmin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 pm

fredfred wrote:Further, its clear Columbia has really been dropping its standards


more like this

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

Your point is dumb, pal. Ferris had shitty off topic posts in the Lounge (this is the on topics, BTW) and Ferris doesn't even post anymore. Please take your low IQ, self-righteous indignation and delete your account

Neebles your pro-lib revisionist history agenda isn't going to win the day here, there are still some of us TLS historians that will continue to fight the good fight with HONESTY and INTEGRITY: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275082&p=9843436&hilit=Ferrisjso#p9843436

OP- Gotta circle back to this: We play by Loveline rules here, if someone asks whether your post is flame you have to answer honestly. Is it flame?

User avatar
dm1683
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby dm1683 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Wait, multiple counts of felony burglary and you only get a pretty diversion program? That's some Brock Turner shit right there.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

Your point is dumb, pal. Ferris had shitty off topic posts in the Lounge (this is the on topics, BTW) and Ferris doesn't even post anymore. Please take your low IQ, self-righteous indignation and delete your account

Neebles your pro-lib revisionist history agenda isn't going to win the day here, there are still some of us TLS historians that will continue to fight the good fight with HONESTY and INTEGRITY: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275082&p=9843436&hilit=Ferrisjso#p9843436

OP- Gotta circle back to this: We play by Loveline rules here, if someone asks whether your post is flame you have to answer honestly. Is it flame?



I'm sorry if I'm not familiar with the vernacular but but flame you mean what?

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby encore1101 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 pm

As long as you have no other run-ins with the law, I actually think you're fine, especially if you were only 18 when you committed the crime, and you wouldn't be applying to law schools until four years later.

From a New York appellate case:

Since Judiciary Law § 90 does not provide a set of standards to evaluate bar applicants with a criminal record, we may be guided by the standards promulgated by the American Bar Association, which involve a number of related inquiries: the applicant's age when the crime was committed, whether the crime was recent, whether the information about the crime is reliable, the seriousness of the conduct, underlying factors, the cumulative consequences of the crime, evidence of the applicant's rehabilitation, whether the applicant has since made a contribution to society, the applicant's honesty during the application process and, in that regard, whether the applicant omitted material information or made material misrepresentations (Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admissions Requirements, ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar and National Conference of Bar Examiners at vii-viii [1994–1995] ).


Obviously, other factors that I'm not aware of may affect the seriousness of the conviction. But since you were permitted to attend a diversion program, I'm going to guess no violence or weapons were involved.

If you really wanted to shore up your chances, you could always volunteer or perform community service while in undergraduate school. It won't hurt, may give you an opportunity to bump the mug shots and arrest reports to page 2 of a Google search, and provide some karmic cleansing. Depending on the service, it could also be evidence of rehabilitation.

Sidenote: Not sure about your state, but in New York, there is no such thing as a misdemeanor burglary. Saying "felony burglary," while correct, makes it sound like "misdemeanor burglary" was otherwise possible, but your actions escalated it into a felony charge.

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby encore1101 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Hand wrote:How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage



I mean, Jeremy Meeks turned a felony mugshot into a modeling career, so this is definitely possible.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

I have to say that I don't remember the term "crime of moral turpitude" coming up anywhere in my state's bar application, and I don't think as a category it was really relevant (it's an immigration thing). I think this is very much going to depend on where this person is trying to get barred. And yet again, while committing the offense is absolutely relevant, so is getting it resolved through a diversion program. None of the felons referenced here were in that kind of position.

So yes, I'm sure it will matter, I'm just not convinced it's some kind of auto-bar.


From wiki: "offenses involving moral turpitude may be grounds to deny or revoke state professional licenses such as teaching credentials,[5] licenses to practice law..." with that said wiki doesn't exactly have a forte for accuracy so

But yeah, from what I've researched the bar doesn't like a repetition of criminal behavior and I haven't gotten in any shit since, not even a parking ticket. I also was a teenager when it happened and completed over 250 hours of (not court mandated) community service since, contributed to charities, joined volunteer organizations, etc. But still, considering the severity of the charges I wouldn’t be surprised if the bar would view it as a desperate attempt to overwrite my past.


Also, would anyone by any chance know if the charges (which should be expunged from the court’s database) would follow me to other countries, say If I wanted to get licensed in the UK? I know that even if the charges are dropped and “sealed” they still pop thanks to the FBI NICS but would foreign employers or certification committees have access to that?

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:25 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Hand wrote:How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage



I mean, Jeremy Meeks turned a felony mugshot into a modeling career, so this is definitely possible.



I find that quite funny as I am actually a signed model myself lmao.

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby encore1101 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Catch23 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

I have to say that I don't remember the term "crime of moral turpitude" coming up anywhere in my state's bar application, and I don't think as a category it was really relevant (it's an immigration thing). I think this is very much going to depend on where this person is trying to get barred. And yet again, while committing the offense is absolutely relevant, so is getting it resolved through a diversion program. None of the felons referenced here were in that kind of position.

So yes, I'm sure it will matter, I'm just not convinced it's some kind of auto-bar.


From wiki: "offenses involving moral turpitude may be grounds to deny or revoke state professional licenses such as teaching credentials,[5] licenses to practice law..." with that said wiki doesn't exactly have a forte for accuracy so

But yeah, from what I've researched the bar doesn't like a repetition of criminal behavior and I haven't gotten in any shit since, not even a parking ticket. I also was a teenager when it happened and completed over 250 hours of (not court mandated) community service since, contributed to charities, joined volunteer organizations, etc. But still, considering the severity of the charges I wouldn’t be surprised if the bar would view it as a desperate attempt to overwrite my past.


Also, would anyone by any chance know if the charges (which should be expunged from the court’s database) would follow me to other countries, say If I wanted to get licensed in the UK? I know that even if the charges are dropped and “sealed” they still pop thanks to the FBI NICS but would foreign employers or certification committees have access to that?



Again, "burglary" covers a wide range of conduct, and yours does not sound that particularly egregious. The prosecutor/court obviously agreed, since they permitted you to plead guilty to a diversion program. You will have an opportunity to explain the burglary arrest.
By the way, a diversion program acts as a pre-trial dismissal upon successful completion. Assuming you complete the diversion program, you wouldn't even be considered "convicted" of the crime.

You should check the relevant sealing statutes of your state. In New York, the police/law enforcement are required to destroy all arrest photos when the action terminates in favor of the accused. Additionally, they're legally required to ask any agency that they transmitted an arrest photo to, whether within NY or not, to destroy the photo. Assuming you complete the diversion program, the website may be legally required to remove your mug shot anyway.

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks, that's all I needed to know

We're done here mods, lock it down.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Catch23 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Hand wrote:How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage



I mean, Jeremy Meeks turned a felony mugshot into a modeling career, so this is definitely possible.



I find that quite funny as I am actually a signed model myself lmao.

worthless without pics

please share with us some of your work here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=240923&hilit=permanent+picwhoring&start=10475




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest