Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ernie
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby ernie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah, not to pile on but grades??'s on topic posts are consistently awful and an aesthetic b& would be entirely warranted imo.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28048
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 pm

grades?? wrote:Whether or not there is a conviction, most/if not virtually almost all firms will not hire you. The government wont as well. Plus I would imagine it will be EXTREMELY hard to get barred. You really should cut your losses. All this will come up in a background check (which most/if not all firms do and obviously the government). Truly man if you wanted to be a lawyer you wouldn't have conspired to and then commit one or more burglaries.

Dude, do you have actual evidence to back this up, or is it just your opinion? Shon Hopwood robbed banks. The bar is especially concerned with fraud and embezzlement crimes. And people don't get diversion programs for AWFUL felonies.

Probably the biggest issue, OP, is how recent this is. I know this doesn't go directly to your concern about people finding the articles, but the further in time you can get from this incident, the less of an issue it will be. I can't say it won't still be an issue, of course, but distance will help.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grades?? wrote:Whether or not there is a conviction, most/if not virtually almost all firms will not hire you. The government wont as well. Plus I would imagine it will be EXTREMELY hard to get barred. You really should cut your losses. All this will come up in a background check (which most/if not all firms do and obviously the government). Truly man if you wanted to be a lawyer you wouldn't have conspired to and then commit one or more burglaries.

Dude, do you have actual evidence to back this up, or is it just your opinion? Shon Hopwood robbed banks. The bar is especially concerned with fraud and embezzlement crimes. And people don't get diversion programs for AWFUL felonies.

Probably the biggest issue, OP, is how recent this is. I know this doesn't go directly to your concern about people finding the articles, but the further in time you can get from this incident, the less of an issue it will be. I can't say it won't still be an issue, of course, but distance will help.



This happened when I was 18. Assuming that I do decide to go to law school it probably won't be until I'm 25 if not later.
And speaking of crimes, is burglary considered a crime of moral turpitude? Because I know that the C&F isn't too fond of those.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby fredfred » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Catch23 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grades?? wrote:Whether or not there is a conviction, most/if not virtually almost all firms will not hire you. The government wont as well. Plus I would imagine it will be EXTREMELY hard to get barred. You really should cut your losses. All this will come up in a background check (which most/if not all firms do and obviously the government). Truly man if you wanted to be a lawyer you wouldn't have conspired to and then commit one or more burglaries.

Dude, do you have actual evidence to back this up, or is it just your opinion? Shon Hopwood robbed banks. The bar is especially concerned with fraud and embezzlement crimes. And people don't get diversion programs for AWFUL felonies.

Probably the biggest issue, OP, is how recent this is. I know this doesn't go directly to your concern about people finding the articles, but the further in time you can get from this incident, the less of an issue it will be. I can't say it won't still be an issue, of course, but distance will help.



This happened when I was 18. Assuming that I do decide to go to law school it probably won't be until I'm 25 if not later.
And speaking of crimes, is burglary considered a crime of moral turpitude? Because I know that the C&F isn't too fond of those.


No idea about the bar, but yes burglary is considered a crime of moral turpitude.

For example, see federal immigration law. Wikipedia has a handy chart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14147
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby fredfred » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby UVA2B » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Ugh, TLS turned this question into way worse than it initially needed to be by reading into the extent of an old crime/indiscretion for no reason.

OP, you should just own everything including the articles when you apply. No one here (outside maybe Spivey) can tell you how much those articles will affect your chances at admissions and bar admission. The very first answer you got was the only one you need: consult with a C&F attorney in the jurisdiction you want to practice. That will be x1000 better than advice or opinions you get here on the impact this incident and the bad press will have on your future career.

Edit: decided to check my frustration a bit, cause it was mostly shitty grades?? take yet again

BigZuck
Posts: 11691
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 pm

OP- Any chance the V20 reference was a tip off that this thread is a flame? I have to ask.


cavalier1138
Posts: 4277
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:24 am



It's worth noting that Betts (first article) just failed his C&F evaluation for the Connecticut bar.

This is why OP needs to speak with an attorney. Even if a school looks past the criminal record, that's no guarantee that the bar will do the same.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 am

Damn, Dwayne Betts got screwed by the Bar. I wonder why they didn't admit him.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... -be-enough

cavalier1138
Posts: 4277
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 am

stego wrote:Damn, Dwayne Betts got screwed by the Bar. I wonder why they didn't admit him.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... -be-enough


Because he's black and he's in Connecticut.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA
Posts: 15594
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
stego wrote:Damn, Dwayne Betts got screwed by the Bar. I wonder why they didn't admit him.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... -be-enough


Because he's black and he's in Connecticut.


Or, you know, that whole armed robbery thing.

I'm not saying I agree with the c&f committee, and I agree with pretty much everything in that article you posted about our criminal justice system being fucked, but I don't really think this is racism.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28048
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 am

fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

I have to say that I don't remember the term "crime of moral turpitude" coming up anywhere in my state's bar application, and I don't think as a category it was really relevant (it's an immigration thing). I think this is very much going to depend on where this person is trying to get barred. And yet again, while committing the offense is absolutely relevant, so is getting it resolved through a diversion program. None of the felons referenced here were in that kind of position.

So yes, I'm sure it will matter, I'm just not convinced it's some kind of auto-bar.

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby guynourmin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

I have to say that I don't remember the term "crime of moral turpitude" coming up anywhere in my state's bar application, and I don't think as a category it was really relevant (it's an immigration thing). I think this is very much going to depend on where this person is trying to get barred. And yet again, while committing the offense is absolutely relevant, so is getting it resolved through a diversion program. None of the felons referenced here were in that kind of position.

So yes, I'm sure it will matter, I'm just not convinced it's some kind of auto-bar.


there was a shitpoaster recently who kept using this term so I dug into it a little and I don't believe it comes up wrt LS or bar c&f evals ever. basically just an immigration thing, as you said

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29486
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:42 pm

fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too

Pretty sure the issue w/ Ferris is mostly "dumb opinions ppl find annoying/unhelpful."
Grades?? In this thread was a combination of dickishness, hot takes, and low reading comprehension.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby fredfred » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29486
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 pm

fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

Your point is dumb, pal. Ferris had shitty off topic posts in the Lounge (this is the on topics, BTW) and Ferris doesn't even post anymore. Please take your low IQ, self-righteous indignation and delete your account

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby fredfred » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

Your point is dumb, pal. Ferris had shitty off topic posts in the Lounge (this is the on topics, BTW) and Ferris doesn't even post anymore. Please take your low IQ, self-righteous indignation and delete your account


I hope you get banned for just being a cunt. Sorry daddy couldn't buy you a successful career.

lol & b

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29486
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 pm

fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Nebby wrote:
fredfred wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Grades?? has been sent to the corner to reconsider his attitude.


I want to point out I dont think grades did anything egregious yet people like Ferris never got a ban? Anyway seems like hypocrisy even if grades was speculating a little much. However, lets be honest, the original poster did admit to burglary. I think that will have a legitimate effect on any chance he has getting barred, especially because it is a crime of moral turpitude.

Lol

You deserve an aesthetic b& too


And you too my friend. I had no actual idea whether moral turpitude is relevant to the bar, but because OP said it, I was continuing with that statement. Regardless, you are a prick.

Edit: not saying grades didn't deserve it, but other posters on this board certainly deserved one too if this is the standard. That's my point.

Your point is dumb, pal. Ferris had shitty off topic posts in the Lounge (this is the on topics, BTW) and Ferris doesn't even post anymore. Please take your low IQ, self-righteous indignation and delete your account


I hope you get banned for just being a cunt. Sorry daddy couldn't buy you a successful career.

Lol

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Fredfred, nebby went to Columbia and does impact lit.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby fredfred » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm

stego wrote:Fredfred, nebby went to Columbia and does impact lit.


Cool, doesn't give him a license to be a total jackass. Further, its clear Columbia has really been dropping its standards with intellects like him amongst the alumni.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29486
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:05 pm

fredfred wrote:
stego wrote:Fredfred, nebby went to Columbia and does impact lit.


Cool, doesn't give him a license to be a total jackass. Further, its clear Columbia has really been dropping its standards with intellects like him amongst the alumni.

Lol

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA
Posts: 15594
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 pm

fredfred wrote:
stego wrote:Fredfred, nebby went to Columbia and does impact lit.


Cool, doesn't give him a license to be a total jackass. Further, its clear Columbia has really been dropping its standards with intellects like him amongst the alumni.


Nebby's actually personally responsible for Columbia's drop in the US News rankings.

Your posts in this thread are still dumb though.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests