Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 pm

I once was a goal-oriented and optimistic freshman in college set on pursuing a career in law--a career I fancied since high school. But of course, life ain't all that simple. I sure learned that when I, alongside several other "acquaintances", was arrested for several accounts of felony burglary and several accounts of conspiracy to commit burglary (misdemeanors). But if that wasn't bad enough, 5 local news outlets released all the information of our arrests, including (albeit somewhat blurred) mugshots, addresses, etc. But it didn't end there--someone decided to link the articles to their blog...twice. Upon Googling my name, the first thing that comes up is my mugshot followed by several of the articles.
After that night my seemingly attainable dream of becoming a lawyer dwindled into what now appears to be mere fantasy.

I am currently in a pretrial diversion program which upon successful completion would result in the "expunction" (and I use that term loosely) of my arrest record, minus the FBI Rap Sheet. While the charges are harsh, I've seen lots of (granted anecdotal) stories of people with way more charges getting into T14s, passing the C&F, and getting BIgLaw gigs. My concern is mostly the mugshots--would any employer, especially that of a V20 ever hire someone knowing that a client can easily Google my name and find all that dirt? Would they want to associate their business with my name?
I consulted defamation and libel attorneys which claim they can remove or scrub some of them--but even if they take down everything but one--I wouldn't be surprised that one article floating around is enough to screw me.
Oh what to do... Do I spend money on search engine optimizations and libel/defamation lawyers? Do I bite the bullet and take out 180k+ worth of loans with a high chance I won't get hired and have no way to repay? Should I change my name? Will I even get Barred? Is my 3.6 GPA worthless? Do I drop out of school and start sweeping the streets? Please do advise.

Thank you.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14169
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 pm

1. There are attorneys who can advise you on these things. Talk to one of them.

2. Some states require you to disclose even crimes that are expunged. The bar, the ultimate authority on you getting to be a lawyer, is going to know about this almost certainly.

3. People have done as bad or worse and become lawyers. People have done (arguably) less and been denied. For more clarity on your case, see point 1. What you will get here is pages of anecdata and speculation from law students/0Ls which will not help your situation or frame of mind.

User avatar
GFox345
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:53 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby GFox345 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 am

I realize that you may be intentionally writing in a flippant manner. If not, I certainly hope that you are. I'll be honest. I felt sick to my stomach when I read your account of what you did in the inappropriately light manner in which you chose to convey it.

From what limited information I have available to me, it seems like you have a chance of getting into law school and getting a fine job. Your criminal background, however, may not be the only obstacle you face in getting a job. If I were interviewing you and you answered a question about your past in such a light (and tactlessly light at that) manner, I couldn't kick you out fast enough.

I would encourage you to examine your decisions and reconsider your approach to this whole situation assuming you're not a flame and that you would ever talk about this incident like that in your daily life. You fucked up colossally and you're lucky you're not gonna end up doing some time. It seems to me that some serious contrition is in order from you. If this question ever does come up in an interview for Law School or some sort of employment, you absolutely must take full responsibility and treat it like the serious mistake it was. Anything less, in my opinion, will absolutely torpedo your chances.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4295
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am

Yeah, talk to an attorney. No one here is going to be able to give you an actual idea of what this does to your chances.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3764
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Hand » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm

How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby zhenders » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm

OP: "I've always wanted to be a lawyer. Then one night, I and some friends literally BROKE INTO SOMEONE'S HOUSE and I got caught. Life happens--crazy, huh? Could have happened to anyone. So funny--that family is probably traumatized now thanks to me. LOL! Can I still go to law school?"

gtfo.

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Yea, as someone with a close family friend that was the victim of a home invasion--get fucked bro.

Or attend Cooley sticker...they'll take ya. Equivalent outcome.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28083
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:08 pm

To be fair, in a lot of states burglary includes a LOT of things that are nowhere close to home invasion (like stealing something out of a parked car or storage shed), so I'm not sure the OP deserves this degree of response at this point.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14169
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Hand wrote:How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage

Surprised you haven't found them already

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3764
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Hand » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Hand wrote:How handsome/cute do you look in th de mugshots? If they're hot this might work in your advantage

Surprised you haven't found them already

Of course I have 'm, I've learned by now that one never should ask a question one does not already know the answer to

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be fair, in a lot of states burglary includes a LOT of things that are nowhere close to home invasion (like stealing something out of a parked car or storage shed), so I'm not sure the OP deserves this degree of response at this point.

Agreed. I don't really understand the criticism of OP for writing in a "flippant" or "inappropriately light" manner. The OP described his or her criminal conduct briefly and generically, but I'm sure one can understand why the OP wouldn't want to provide details about the crime on TLS.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Typical TLS witch hunt when past crimes are not described with the CONTRITENESS and CIRCUMSPECTION that TLS demands.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

I realize that you may be intentionally writing in a flippant manner. If not, I certainly hope that you are. I'll be honest. I felt sick to my stomach when I read your account of what you did in the inappropriately light manner in which you chose to convey it.

If this question ever does come up in an interview for Law School or some sort of employment, you absolutely must take full responsibility and treat it like the serious mistake it was. Anything less, in my opinion, will absolutely torpedo your chances.


First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Catch23 wrote:First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

Wow. I defended you a couple posts back, but you're doing your best to come off as unlikable. You're not in a position to lecture others about how an aspiring an attorney should go about things. Also, describing this issue as an "obstacle" that "came your way" is a little much. You're acting like the universe dealt you a bad hand. This isn't like getting sick the week of finals or something, where you can reasonably blame bad luck for your problems. Get over yourself.
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Yea, as someone with a close family friend that was the victim of a home invasion--get fucked bro.

Or attend Cooley sticker...they'll take ya. Equivalent outcome.



Home invasion? I don't know what orifice you pulled that out. The burglary statute that pertains to my situation is "such person enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling at night with intent to commit a crime therein." I was accused of entering someone else's hotel room while the group of people I was with (who claimed they knew the person who was staying in that hotel room started taking paraphernalia and beer and later got charged with larceny). Unauthorized entry with intent to commit a crime, in the state I was in, constitutes burglary. So you and your over assumptive ass can both get fucked.
Last edited by Catch23 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:36 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Catch23 wrote:First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

Wow. I defended you a couple posts back, but you're doing your best to come off as unlikable. You're not in a position to lecture others about how an aspiring an attorney should go about things. Also, describing this issue as an "obstacle" that "came your way" is a little much. You're acting like the universe dealt you a bad hand. This isn't like getting sick the week of finals or something, where you can reasonably blame bad luck for your problems. Get over yourself.

Seriously, pupkin?

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Catch23 wrote:First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

Wow. I defended you a couple posts back, but you're doing your best to come off as unlikable. You're not in a position to lecture others about how an aspiring an attorney should go about things. Also, describing this issue as an "obstacle" that "came your way" is a little much. You're acting like the universe dealt you a bad hand. This isn't like getting sick the week of finals or something, where you can reasonably blame bad luck for your problems. Get over yourself.


Shit, my bad! I meant to reply to Gfox not you. Sorry! Thank you for defending me and yes, I am not blaming the world or fate, just myself.

BigZuck
Posts: 11696
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:43 pm

stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Catch23 wrote:First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

Wow. I defended you a couple posts back, but you're doing your best to come off as unlikable. You're not in a position to lecture others about how an aspiring an attorney should go about things. Also, describing this issue as an "obstacle" that "came your way" is a little much. You're acting like the universe dealt you a bad hand. This isn't like getting sick the week of finals or something, where you can reasonably blame bad luck for your problems. Get over yourself.

Seriously, pupkin?

I'm not a pumpkin so probably shouldn't presume to speak on behalf of all gourds but yeah the first post ITT was pretty sociopathic and it's just kind of devolved from there. The OP should talk to an attorney about this stuff. I'd also recommend at least pretending to take full responsibility whenever this situation is discussed (both e-world and real world). That's *not legal advice* just general life advice. It's NGL if the OP is like this IRL IMO but YMMV.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Catch23 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Catch23 wrote:First of all, I never described what I did, I merely stated the outcome so I'm not sure what you're "feeling sick" about. I take full accountability on my part but regardless, jumping to conclusions about something you have no idea about is not the best way to go about things, especially if you're aspiring to be an attorney. And I'm writing in a "flippant" manner because I have a sardonic attitude towards the seemingly never ending obstacles I have coming my way, not because I don't understand that I fucked up. And yes, I'm obviously disclosing everything to both the law school, the CF, and potential employers. My issue was with the articles. But thanks anyways.

Wow. I defended you a couple posts back, but you're doing your best to come off as unlikable. You're not in a position to lecture others about how an aspiring an attorney should go about things. Also, describing this issue as an "obstacle" that "came your way" is a little much. You're acting like the universe dealt you a bad hand. This isn't like getting sick the week of finals or something, where you can reasonably blame bad luck for your problems. Get over yourself.


Shit, my bad! I meant to reply to Gfox not you. Sorry! Thank you for defending me and yes, I am not blaming the world or fate, just myself.

It's cool. And Stego's "seriously?" (to me) was appropriate. As your subsequent account of your arrest suggests, bad luck can certainly play a role in getting arrested and charged with serious crimes. (I of course don't know what actually occurred, but situations like the one you described definitely happen.)

ernie
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby ernie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Catch23 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Yea, as someone with a close family friend that was the victim of a home invasion--get fucked bro.

Or attend Cooley sticker...they'll take ya. Equivalent outcome.



Home invasion? I don't know what orifice you pulled that out. The burglary statue that pertains to my situation is "such person enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling at night with intent to commit a crime therein." I was accused of entering someone else's hotel room while the group of people I was with (who claimed they knew the person who was staying in that hotel room started taking paraphernalia and beer and later got charged with larceny). Unauthorized entry with intent to commit a crime, in the state I was in, constitutes burglary. So you and your over assumptive ass can both get fucked.

Don't minimize when you do C&F. Hotel invasion doesn't sound much different than home invasion to me. In any event, I'm not judging, people make mistakes. But for your own sake show perspective and self-awareness when submitting to C&F.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

To clarify once and for all: I'm not denying whatsoever that I'm responsible for my actions and that my actions ultimately led to the consequences. I take full accountability of what I did and will not sugarcoat anything, not in the addendum, not in the law school app, not to the C&F committee, nor to employers. I didn't come here to try to convince myself (or others) that I did nothing wrong. If the tone of my first post implied that, then my apologies.

I'm more concerned with the ramifications of my actions and if anyone on TLS has any insight on how the C&F committee and especially law firm HR teams would react when I tell them about the multiple articles floating around. Law school is a huge finical commitment and being stuck with 200k in loans and not being able to find employment would really be a bummer. I understand that consulting an employment attorney is my best bet and I will do just that but I also wanted to receive your opinion and insight, even if anecdotal. I'm sure there are other people with arrest records and even convictions who attempted the same path I am and perhaps some of them are on this forum. Anyways, thanks again..

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby grades?? » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Catch23 wrote:To clarify once and for all: I'm not denying whatsoever that I'm responsible for my actions and that my actions ultimately led to the consequences. I take full accountability of what I did and will not sugarcoat anything, not in the addendum, not in the law school app, not to the C&F committee, nor to employers. I didn't come here to try to convince myself (or others) that I did nothing wrong. If the tone of my first post implied that, then my apologies.

I'm more concerned with the ramifications of my actions and if anyone on TLS has any insight on how the C&F committee and especially law firm HR teams would react when I tell them about the multiple articles floating around. Law school is a huge finical commitment and being stuck with 200k in loans and not being able to find employment would really be a bummer. I understand that consulting an employment attorney is my best bet and I will do just that but I also wanted to receive your opinion and insight, even if anecdotal. I'm sure there are other people with arrest records and even convictions who attempted the same path I am and perhaps some of them are on this forum. Anyways, thanks again..


You committed an AWFUL felony. People who are found lying on apps are denied from the bar. There is a significant chance no bar will admit you. Law isn't worth the gamble and cost, its time to do something else with your life.

Catch23
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby Catch23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm

grades?? wrote:
Catch23 wrote:To clarify once and for all: I'm not denying whatsoever that I'm responsible for my actions and that my actions ultimately led to the consequences. I take full accountability of what I did and will not sugarcoat anything, not in the addendum, not in the law school app, not to the C&F committee, nor to employers. I didn't come here to try to convince myself (or others) that I did nothing wrong. If the tone of my first post implied that, then my apologies.

I'm more concerned with the ramifications of my actions and if anyone on TLS has any insight on how the C&F committee and especially law firm HR teams would react when I tell them about the multiple articles floating around. Law school is a huge finical commitment and being stuck with 200k in loans and not being able to find employment would really be a bummer. I understand that consulting an employment attorney is my best bet and I will do just that but I also wanted to receive your opinion and insight, even if anecdotal. I'm sure there are other people with arrest records and even convictions who attempted the same path I am and perhaps some of them are on this forum. Anyways, thanks again..


You committed an AWFUL felony. People who are found lying on apps are denied from the bar. There is a significant chance no bar will admit you. Law isn't worth the gamble and cost, its time to do something else with your life.



The charges of the AWFUL felony are getting dropped in a couple months and I literally just said in the previous post that I'm disclosing every detail of the arrest on the app.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby grades?? » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Catch23 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Catch23 wrote:To clarify once and for all: I'm not denying whatsoever that I'm responsible for my actions and that my actions ultimately led to the consequences. I take full accountability of what I did and will not sugarcoat anything, not in the addendum, not in the law school app, not to the C&F committee, nor to employers. I didn't come here to try to convince myself (or others) that I did nothing wrong. If the tone of my first post implied that, then my apologies.

I'm more concerned with the ramifications of my actions and if anyone on TLS has any insight on how the C&F committee and especially law firm HR teams would react when I tell them about the multiple articles floating around. Law school is a huge finical commitment and being stuck with 200k in loans and not being able to find employment would really be a bummer. I understand that consulting an employment attorney is my best bet and I will do just that but I also wanted to receive your opinion and insight, even if anecdotal. I'm sure there are other people with arrest records and even convictions who attempted the same path I am and perhaps some of them are on this forum. Anyways, thanks again..


You committed an AWFUL felony. People who are found lying on apps are denied from the bar. There is a significant chance no bar will admit you. Law isn't worth the gamble and cost, its time to do something else with your life.



The charges of the AWFUL felony are getting dropped in a couple months and I literally just said in the previous post that I'm disclosing every detail of the arrest on the app.


Whether or not the legal system holds you accountable through charges and convictions or not, this isn't a case of mistaken identity. You did these awful things and then got caught. They are out there in the world. You got arrested for it.

Whether or not there is a conviction, most/if not virtually almost all firms will not hire you. The government wont as well. Plus I would imagine it will be EXTREMELY hard to get barred. You really should cut your losses. All this will come up in a background check (which most/if not all firms do and obviously the government). Truly man if you wanted to be a lawyer you wouldn't have conspired to and then commit one or more burglaries.

Mod edit: you know what? Fuck your attitude, take a day off.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Arrest Record and Mugshots--life ends here?

Postby stego » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 pm

grades?? wrote:You committed an AWFUL felony. People who are found lying on apps are denied from the bar. There is a significant chance no bar will admit you. Law isn't worth the gamble and cost, its time to do something else with your life.

You are dumb and you should consider not posting anymore.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cannonballer, chrysippusofsoli, Jay2021, nuggetls and 4 guests