Are any of these softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
basketweaver

New

Are any of these softs?

Postby basketweaver » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:37 pm

So i'm a bit confused if being puerto rican is considered a soft factor for admissions....

I was also curious if being gay and a first generation college student is also a soft?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Are any of these softs?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Puerto Ricans are generally considered URMs. And yes, being gay and a first-generation student are also softs (although the URM status will likely have a bigger effect on your application).

basketweaver

New

Postby basketweaver » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Puerto Ricans are generally considered URMs. And yes, being gay and a first-generation student are also softs (although the URM status will likely have a bigger effect on your application).

Thanks for your response and sorry if this is an ignorant question but how do the adcoms know that i'm gay and first-gen...via the essays?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:49 pm

basketweaver wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Puerto Ricans are generally considered URMs. And yes, being gay and a first-generation student are also softs (although the URM status will likely have a bigger effect on your application).

Thanks for your response and sorry if this is an ignorant question but how do the adcoms know that i'm gay and first-gen...via the essays?

Yes, that's stuff I would slip in to your PS/DS, but if you have any involvement with LGBT groups, etc., you can highlight that on your resume. I believe (could be totally wrong) that most schools also include form questions that ask whether you're LGBT, first-generation, disabled, a veteran, etc. But highlighting your diversity is always a good thing.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

basketweaver wrote:

I just want to make this clear because sometimes a "soft" can be misunderstood. A "soft" is anything that is something about you on your resume, PS, DS, recommendations, or in an interview (if the particular school does interviews). That doesn't necessarily make them a "plus" for your application, although it might. I think what you're actually asking is if LGBT+First gen. are "plus" softs for admissions, which is probably up for some debate because a not insignificant portion of law students fall into those groups.

Those "softs" can be helpful for you in admissions if you tailor your applications to work for you. You can probably craft an interesting story out of those "softs," but it's on you to make it that way. People have made a wide range of things that could be considered "softs" work for them in admissions, from dog-walking to coping with a physical or mental disability. None is automatically better than the other, but if tailored the right way, it can work to your advantage.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�