Applying ED at UT or BU? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RedPanda18

New

Applying ED at UT or BU?

Post by RedPanda18 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm

So im a none URM applicant LSAT 168 GPA 3.82*. My softs are solid but nothing special and I assume LoRs + Essays will be good but again nothing incredible. I'm currently an undergrad at UT and plan on applying this fall cycle.

Right now I think my top schools are UT, BU, and Cornell. Kinda an odd list I know but I know I would be happy practicing in any of those regions.

My main question is should I apply ED at UT? Or do I have an OK shot at admittance through RD? I ask because I am also considering applying for the ED+Scholarship at BU (Boston University) which covers full tuition. But I can't apply ED to both obviously. I've weighed my personal preferences and I'd be perfectly happy in Texas or in the Boston area.

cavalier1138

Re: Applying ED at UT or BU?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

If you're going to apply ED, do BU for the scholarship. But with your numbers, you can aim higher. What are your career goals?

RedPanda18

New

Post by RedPanda18 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you're going to apply ED, do BU for the scholarship. But with your numbers, you can aim higher. What are your career goals?
I'm still mostly trying to figure that out but right now I have an overall interest in litigation and/or soft IP. Big Law is definitely appealing to me for a few years out but I am definitely not big law or bust. Ending up as in-house counsel somewhere down the line would be the ideal career path for me. I don't have much interest in PI or government work.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm

RedPanda18 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you're going to apply ED, do BU for the scholarship. But with your numbers, you can aim higher. What are your career goals?
I'm still mostly trying to figure that out but right now I have an overall interest in litigation and/or soft IP. Big Law is definitely appealing to me for a few years out but I am definitely not big law or bust. Ending up as in-house counsel somewhere down the line would be the ideal career path for me. I don't have much interest in PI or government work.
If you want to keep your career options open, don't ED anywhere, and aim for Cornell or higher. If you can squeeze out even 1-2 more points on the LSAT, you're looking at serious money in the lower T13.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm

definitely don't apply ED to Texas. That's a bad idea. BU or even NU ED is a better idea (your lsat might be a touch low for NU ED, but worth a shot imo). That said, if you really want to go to Texas, just RD everywhere and see where that gets you. You seem very likely to get a better offer from UT if you apply RD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 pm

No reason to apply ED at Texas. I had similar numbers (slightly lower gpa) and was admitted RD with scholarship money. And that was back in 2013 when there was more highly qualified applicants.

RedPanda18

New

Post by RedPanda18 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 pm

So my score at 168 was basically hitting my average on my practice tests (I had hit as high as 174 and as low as 162 :| ). Would it be possible to take the december test and send that score in late or is that way too late? I'd sit for september again but I'm currently working at an internship 45 hours a week and taking two online classes so I don't really have much time to study before that test rolls around.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 pm

If you're set on ED, BU would be the only option that made sense. An ED app doesn't give you an edge so there's no reason to do it without promised money on the other end.

that being said, I wouldn't ED to BU in your case. I feel like it's a good option for someone who knows BU is their top choice but is otherwise not worth it. Your numbers will get you in to BU with $$$ regardless so if it's not your absolute top choice, I see no reason to ED.

If you've hit 174 before you can definitely increase your LSAT. If you're willing to do that, December isn't too late. that might be you're best bet

Will McAvoy

New

Post by Will McAvoy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 am

If you are dead set on using ED to lock up a big scholly from a top school, then go for NU. I'm not sure that your numbers are high enough to get it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Otherwise, apply early and broadly, you should have strong options to choose from especially if you are not big law or bust. Take a full ride from WahU or Vandy if it makes sense. If those prospects don't interest you, then retake, reapply, reacess.

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm going to chime in because I went to UT for undergrad, did 1L at BU, then transferred to UT last year. If big law is what you're after, UT is a way better choice! Only a handful of my classmates at BU have big law jobs. The school has fierce competition in the northeast market (lots of T14 schools up there) and does not have a strong enough market to get you back to Texas or out to Cali (unless you're doing IP law, which BU does rank well in). If public service is what you're after, then BU might be an excellent choice! That's definitely a focus up there and many student see employment from the government or NGOs after graduation.

Bottom line: if you can get into UT (especially with the early admission scholarship), GO! UT can get you a job anywhere and the network alone makes it all worth it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”