Effects of Score change(drop) in application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pitter

Effects of Score change(drop) in application

Postby pitter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 pm

I got a score of 167 last feb after 2 weeks of prep. june, the same year, after few months of prep i dissapointingly got a 168. That time i was also prepping at an average of 172.x. Seeing room for improvement, and knowing my score suffered due to test anxiety, i didnt apply this cycle and took another half an year to study for the lsat and took the june lsat this year. This timei had my prep test score ranging in 173~177. I did feel quite good after the test, but i FAILED real bad. This time i got a 167....since this is a nondisclosed test i have no clue where it went wrong. i was quite sure i did better than that and felt really ready when i took the test. Would the admission see the score change badly? Would my score be seen as 167 or would my highest score be accepted?

Platopus

Re: Effects of Score change(drop) in application

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about the disappointing score. The good news is that schools will consider only your highest score, so congrats on the 168. In reality, you were extremely consistent, so schools won't see a 1 point drop as anything alarming. If anything, it proves that your 168 wasn't a fluke.

I hate to say it, but I think you should go forward with the 168. Retaking could open doors, sure, but you've been studying for a YEAR, and haven't seen that score increase. Also that 168-170 mark is really tough to break. At this point, take the 168, and try to nab some T-10 or maybe even T-6 schools if you have the GPA for it.

pitter

Postby pitter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Platopus wrote:Hey, sorry to hear about the disappointing score. The good news is that schools will consider only your highest score, so congrats on the 168. In reality, you were extremely consistent, so schools won't see a 1 point drop as anything alarming. If anything, it proves that your 168 wasn't a fluke.

I hate to say it, but I think you should go forward with the 168. Retaking could open doors, sure, but you've been studying for a YEAR, and haven't seen that score increase. Also that 168-170 mark is really tough to break. At this point, take the 168, and try to nab some T-10 or maybe even T-6 schools if you have the GPA for it.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about retaking b/c of a much higher PT average but now after hearing that they accept the highest score, I am leaning towards NOT retaking.

However,

While 168 is the median score for some lower t14 schools, i did my undergraduate at a foreign institution so i do not have a reported GPA. Although I do have a relatively high GPA 3.87/4.0(major gpa 3.96/4.0), I have heard that admissions for"international"(in the sense that i dont have an american college degree albeit being an american citizen) are more of a blackbox. For me to be in a safe position, i should've gotten a higher score over their 75th percentile.

Would i have any shot at t14 law schools?

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:18 pm

pitter wrote:
Platopus wrote:Hey, sorry to hear about the disappointing score. The good news is that schools will consider only your highest score, so congrats on the 168. In reality, you were extremely consistent, so schools won't see a 1 point drop as anything alarming. If anything, it proves that your 168 wasn't a fluke.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about retaking b/c of a much higher PT average but now after hearing that they accept the highest score, I am leaning towards NOT retaking.

However,

While 168 is the median score for some lower t14 schools, i did my undergraduate at a foreign institution so i do not have a reported GPA. Although I do have a relatively high GPA 3.87/4.0(major gpa 3.96/4.0), I have heard that admissions for"international"(in the sense that i dont have an american college degree albeit being an american citizen) are more of a blackbox. For me to be in a safe position, i should've gotten a higher score over their 75th percentile.

Would i have any shot at t14 law schools?

I think you're right to a certain extent in saying that international GPA's are a little more blackbox, but I would think you still have a shot at the T-14. I don't think a retake would really hurt you, but honestly I'm not sure it's worth the opportunity cost. You've studied for a year, and have been very consistent - 168 might be your upper limit. In any case, I think your time would be better spent polishing your PS and Why X's.

freekick

Postby freekick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 am

- See this to get an idea of how (some) applicants without a numerical GPA fared this cycle: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

- You are right in thinking that your LSAT assumes a greater importance in the absence of a numerical GPA. You are literally on one leg and the stronger it is, the better shot you give yourself.

- Barring HYS (and probably Chicago), you will be fine at other schools with 4 scores. Search the Spivey thread for his word on this. (Five takes make things tricky but that's not applicable to you.) So if you can bump 168 to even 170, by all means do it and do it in September/October coz Spivey predicts the next cycle to move fast. And if you end up with another 168 or sub score, it wouldn't hurt you.

Remember, you are a one-legged player in a numbers game. Sorry if that comes across as harsh/unpleasant.

Hth. All the best.

Eta: corrected the googledocs link.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”