Scholarship Chances or Retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goblue0903

Scholarship Chances or Retake?

Postby goblue0903 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Hey everyone - I took the June 2017 LSAT and got a couple points lower than I was scoring on my practice tests (average: 162, actual: 159). I am particularly interested in Loyola Chicago, where I am above the 75th percentile for GPA (3.5) and right at 75th percentile for LSAT. I have 2 years of work experience out of college at a large international law firm and solid LoRs.

What kind of scholarship would I get with these metrics? I am hesitant to do so, but should I try and retake the LSAT?

Thanks for your thoughts!

cavalier1138

Re: Scholarship Chances or Retake?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 pm

If you're at/above both 75ths, then you should get decent scholarship money from Loyola. But what are your career goals? I only ask because you mentioned working for a "large international law firm", and you will not get hired as an attorney at one of those with a Loyola degree.

goblue0903

Postby goblue0903 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks for responding! My ultimate goal is a middle sized law firm in Chicago/Michigan...which I assume is reasonable for a Loyola grad.

I'm curious as to why you say Loyola doesn't feed big law....I know it's not as big as a T14 school in that regard but their ABA Disclosures show a decent number of big law hires.

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:09 pm

goblue0903 wrote:Thanks for responding! My ultimate goal is a middle sized law firm in Chicago/Michigan...which I assume is reasonable for a Loyola grad.

I'm curious as to why you say Loyola doesn't feed big law....I know it's not as big as a T14 school in that regard but their ABA Disclosures show a decent number of big law hires.

Thanks!

Well, mid-sized firms can be just as difficult to get from anywhere. Median private sector outcome from a school like Loyola (which will not put you in Michigan, by the way) is a small firm that pays $45-60k starting salary. And a biglaw "feeder" school means a school that gives you (at the very least) better than a coin-flip chance at biglaw. Loyola has a 16% large firm placement rate, which isn't bad for a school where 40% of alumni aren't employed as lawyers 9 months after graduation. That's not going to get you biglaw unless you're at the top of your class.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”