Delete please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
InterLaw

Bronze

Delete please

Postby InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 am

Last edited by InterLaw on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: How can I try to solve this awful situation with LSAC?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:23 am

Well, if LSAC says they can't change it, I'm not sure what you think anyone here can do.

Both ratings are going to be reported, but I'm pretty sure the adcomms are going to figure out which program you spent more time in, even if it looks bad that you failed two fluff classes in a study abroad program.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Well, if LSAC says they can't change it, I'm not sure what you think anyone here can do.

Both ratings are going to be reported, but I'm pretty sure the adcomms are going to figure out which program you spent more time in, even if it looks bad that you failed two fluff classes in a study abroad program.

It does not excuse here! And even an addendum will be hard to write: I failed because I didn't even attend them. At least I got A in Phil of Law... But at least I can say that I wasn't required to take them for my degree... I mean, those F's weren't even reported in my grades, because I just had 2 classes recognized by my sending institution.

What I hope is that they don't think I graduated in a university in which I didn't, in a foreign country. But yes, they will probably figure that out...

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:08 pm

InterLaw wrote:
It does not excuse here! And even an addendum will be hard to write: I failed because I didn't even attend them. At least I got A in Phil of Law... But at least I can say that I wasn't required to take them for my degree... I mean, those F's weren't even reported in my grades, because I just had 2 classes recognized by my sending institution.

What I hope is that they don't think I graduated in a university in which I didn't, in a foreign country. But yes, they will probably figure that out...

Why did you enroll in classes that you had no intention to attend?
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:09 pm

LSAC will figure it out. They get these kinds of documents all the time, they know what they entail, and I'm sure you're not the first person whose records look like this. They are not going to think that you graduated from a school you only attended for 6 months. It's probably just the way the forms work, they list schools in a certain order that's independent of the candidate's actual experience

Not sure what you can do about the evaluation (are you saying they gave you an overall evaluation of average and did you challenge that part? your post isn't really clear). If you have 2 semesters in which you failed a couple of classes, that's one-third the weight of your graduating degree, so it is going to have some effect. (Your school should probably stop sending students abroad intending that they punt a couple of classes, or was that just your decision?)

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:Why did you enroll in classes that you had no intention to attend?

A. Nony Mouse wrote:LSAC will figure it out. They get these kinds of documents all the time, they know what they entail, and I'm sure you're not the first person whose records look like this. They are not going to think that you graduated from a school you only attended for 6 months. It's probably just the way the forms work, they list schools in a certain order that's independent of the candidate's actual experience

Not sure what you can do about the evaluation (are you saying they gave you an overall evaluation of average and did you challenge that part? your post isn't really clear). If you have 2 semesters in which you failed a couple of classes, that's one-third the weight of your graduating degree, so it is going to have some effect. (Your school should probably stop sending students abroad intending that they punt a couple of classes, or was that just your decision?)

To answer both of you: when I went on exchange, I just had 5 classes left to attend for my degree. However, for basically bureaucratic reasons every school requires you to enroll in at least 4-5 classes. So I had to enroll in these stupid classes! The smart move would have been to take the pill and don't mess up with anyone, but at that time I wasn't really thinking to try this law school thing, and there was no way they would have been seen by anyone else! In total, I failed 3 classes which were in excess, from a total of 35ish classes I took for my degree, 32ish of which - the ones I had to take to complete my curriculum - with an AVG over 4.0 in terms of US gpa (I got basically more A+ than As). But with the fact that as an international student my whole academic record is just a name, this is not clearly shown in my report.
So yeah, I'm not challenging the specific evaluations, I'm challenging the fact that they put in the summary the one of them which comes from 5 classes, 1 of which I didn't attend because I didn't have to, and which destroys my gpa of that exchange, during which I had 3 As and a B for the classes recognized by my own institution. Why should this situation, which could be clearly reported at page 2, define me better than the rest of my work (considering that we are speaking here of foreign transcripts only - the US transcript has its own section)? :evil: (I'm clearly mad at myself, and please don't remind me how stupid I am... Or do that... I don't know, say whatever you want, at least you're here reading my stupid complaints)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Again - the specific page order in which these things are reported in a summary does. not. matter. You are way overthinking this. Something being on the first page does not define you more than something that is on the fourth page.

(With regard to the failed classes - the attitude here/among adcoms is likely going to be, if you signed up for something, you had an obligation to complete it regardless of whether it counted for your degree. Which isn't meant as a criticism, there's nothing you can do about the situation now, but just a comment if you intend to address it in your application in any way.)

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(With regard to the failed classes - the attitude here/among adcoms is likely going to be, if you signed up for something, you had an obligation to complete it regardless of whether it counted for your degree. Which isn't meant as a criticism, there's nothing you can do about the situation now, but just a comment if you intend to address it in your application in any way.)

I totally agree with that. And they are even right...

However, as you said, there's nothing more I can do so well... Thanks for the support!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�