Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laconicllama
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:15 am

Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby laconicllama » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:26 am

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker here who could use a bit of advice. I really don't mean to be ungrateful or snobbish, but I got a 173 on the June 2017 test and I'd like to know if people think it would be worth it to retake the LSAT to boost chances for Harvard and Columbia (bc their 75th is 174) and $$ at other T-14 (Ruby, Hamilton, etc.), especially considering Spivey's prediction of a boost in apps next cycle. Couple of things that might be relevant:
1) I do think I got hurt by the curve - I missed 6 on the test (compared to 3-6 on my PTs), which unfortunately given the -9 curve translated to a 173 instead of a 174/175. I do think I could achieve a 2 point increase.
2) All the test centers in my area are full for September
3) I am also open to taking time off before going to law school. I'm considering applying this cycle with my current score, seeing what I get in the way of admission offers and $$, and then reconsidering retaking in June 2018 or something and reapplying.

tl;dr: 173/3.94 applicant worried about Harvard and $$ at other T-14


Thoughts? I know it's a long post, but I would really welcome any advice y'all could give me.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 2962
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby chargers21 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 am

you'll almost certainly get into Harvard and Columbia, and you have a sizeable chance even at Stanford and a better than many chance at Yale. You have an outside shot at the Ruby, Hamilton, Levy, etc., but otherwise like many the predictable big money will be at Michigan down if you avoid YP.

One point higher and you'll have only slightly better odds of getting into schools, but the Hamilton and Vanderbilt will really come into range

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:01 am

I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 2962
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 am

Platopus wrote:... couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

It's a surprisingly low chance at a full scholly at CCN with those stats from my research. It goes up exponentially with a 174. Like a crazy amount. Odds at getting into places, #8 and down fulls, acceptances, etc. stay relatively flat

User avatar
Delano
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Delano » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 am

Platopus wrote:I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

The Hamilton is the only outcome with a 174 threshold. Rubies and Vandies (and other t14 named fulls) go to 173s quite frequently.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:12 am

chargers21 wrote:
Platopus wrote:... couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

It's a surprisingly low chance at a full scholly at CCN with those stats from my research. It goes up exponentially with a 174. Like a crazy amount. Odds at getting into places, #8 and down fulls, acceptances, etc. stay relatively flat


Yeah, that was my gut feeling too. I realistically won't be able to put in the appropriate effort for a September retake due to upcoming work obligations, so I'm thinking I may just have to ride it out and let the chips fall where they may.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 am

Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

The Hamilton is the only outcome with a 174 threshold. Rubies and Vandies (and other t14 named fulls) go to 173s quite frequently.


Genuinely curious as to where you found this data. I had a hard time finding anything on here or google.

User avatar
Delano
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Delano » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:17 am

Platopus wrote:
Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

The Hamilton is the only outcome with a 174 threshold. Rubies and Vandies (and other t14 named fulls) go to 173s quite frequently.


Genuinely curious as to where you found this data. I had a hard time finding anything on here or google.

Look around on LSN and sort by $$ amount (or gpa/LSAT). Can all be copied into excel sheets easily if you want to analyze it further. Could be wrong but from a cursory glance it doesn't look like your odds at Rubies go up dramatically at 174 with that GPA.

Eta: Rubies from last cycle - 173, 3.9+: 3/9. 174, 3.9+: 4/10; 176+, 3.9+: 4/10. So it looks like your odds increase a bit but not much.
Last edited by Delano on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 2962
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 am

Platopus wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Platopus wrote:... couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

It's a surprisingly low chance at a full scholly at CCN with those stats from my research. It goes up exponentially with a 174. Like a crazy amount. Odds at getting into places, #8 and down fulls, acceptances, etc. stay relatively flat


Yeah, that was my gut feeling too. I realistically won't be able to put in the appropriate effort for a September retake due to upcoming work obligations, so I'm thinking I may just have to ride it out and let the chips fall where they may.

You're good, fellow TLSer. You'll have killer options either way, and you aren't completely shut out from any possibility. Hell, you might even catch a Yale-Mary
Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 am

Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

The Hamilton is the only outcome with a 174 threshold. Rubies and Vandies (and other t14 named fulls) go to 173s quite frequently.


Genuinely curious as to where you found this data. I had a hard time finding anything on here or google.

Look around on LSN and sort by $$ amount (or gpa/LSAT). Can all be copied into excel sheets easily if you want to analyze it further. Could be wrong but from a cursory glance it doesn't look like your odds at Rubies go up dramatically at 174 with that GPA.


Thanks, much appreciated

User avatar
dm1683
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby dm1683 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 am

Platopus wrote:
Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Delano wrote:
Platopus wrote:I have pretty much identical numbers (3.95+/173/2 year WE), and am curious as well. Did a little digging but couldn't find much regarding chances for named scholarships at CCN.

Sooo shameless bump. I think chargers pretty much hit it on the head, but curious as to what others think.

The Hamilton is the only outcome with a 174 threshold. Rubies and Vandies (and other t14 named fulls) go to 173s quite frequently.


Genuinely curious as to where you found this data. I had a hard time finding anything on here or google.

Look around on LSN and sort by $$ amount (or gpa/LSAT). Can all be copied into excel sheets easily if you want to analyze it further. Could be wrong but from a cursory glance it doesn't look like your odds at Rubies go up dramatically at 174 with that GPA.

Thanks, much appreciated

As plato's twin I appreciate it as well :) I wonder if there is any material difference between 3.9x and my almighty 4.0 (yay grade inflation!!!)
Last edited by dm1683 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Retake with 173/3.94 for HYS and $$?

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 am

chargers21 wrote:Hell, you might even catch a Yale-Mary


One can hope :lol:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nubcs and 3 guests