International undergrad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EnglandAmerica1996

New

International undergrad

Post by EnglandAmerica1996 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 am

Hi, sorry for long winded post but hope you guys can help out:

I've finished my second year of my degree at a British university (I'm a dual U.S.-British citizen, grew up in US but family moved to England for six years so decided to do undergrad here.)

I am (obviously) aware that it is very difficult to translate international grades into an American GPA, and understand the superior/above average etc. criteria for such translation.
In my first year, I finished with a first; in second year, I achieved a 2.1 (69, so one mark off a first!) Therefore, the rough equivalency for both years combined is 3.85 (GPA calculated on "ForeignCredits" website.)

This leads me to my main question: do you think I can apply in this upcoming cycle (2017-18), or should I wait a year?

The argument for applying this year is that I plan to sit the September LSAT; I have done some studying over the past month and got a 178 in a practice test (I am aware that this might not necessarily happen in the actual test!) This option would be ideal if, in your estimation, my grades and LSAT combo would be good for a T14 school. My concern here would be, despite a (I think likely) high LSAT score, I would probably receive an LSAC transcript translation of "Above Average" rather than "Superior."

The argument for not applying this year: if I apply after having obtained my degree (hopefully achieving a first, which is the highest mark in the UK), I would not be worried about the grades situation (I imagine I would receive a "Superior" transcript, though of course this is not definite until confirmed.) Moreover, I will have a years work experience under my belt which might look good in front of an AdsComm. However, I would prefer to go to law school straight after my degree.

Hope you guys can advise in any way possible!
Thanks.

kdxsam

New

Re: International undergrad

Post by kdxsam » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:47 am

An AA is definitely enough for T14 schools. I am an international applicant with an AA and I got into my top choices (HYSCCN).

However, my LSAT score was above the 75th percentile for every school I applied to, so I advice you to focus on the LSAT. Remember 1 or 2 points on the exam could translate to an acceptance versus rejection or tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship. The LSAT is definitely something that you should give your very best.

If you strongly prefer to attend law school immediately after graduation, you can take the LSAT and apply next year if you are satisfied with your score. However, if you are uncertain, having a higher evaluation and a year of work experience (although at the time of application you would only have a few months) definitely helps.

ghytu48

New

Re: International undergrad

Post by ghytu48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:00 am

kdxsam wrote:An AA is definitely enough for T14 schools. I am an international applicant with an AA and I got into my top choices (HYSCCN).

However, my LSAT score was above the 75th percentile for every school I applied to, so I advice you to focus on the LSAT. Remember 1 or 2 points on the exam could translate to an acceptance versus rejection or tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship. The LSAT is definitely something that you should give your very best.

If you strongly prefer to attend law school immediately after graduation, you can take the LSAT and apply next year if you are satisfied with your score. However, if you are uncertain, having a higher evaluation and a year of work experience (although at the time of application you would only have a few months) definitely helps.
Could you share how you financed/plan to finance your edu?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”