Changes in LSAT scores of applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Paul Campos

Silver

Changes in LSAT scores of applicants

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am

Total number of applicants with an LSAT score of 160 or higher

2010: 35,890

2017: 14,065

Total number of applicants with an LSAT score below 150

2010: 12,320

2017: 18,725

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Changes in LSAT scores of applicants

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:53 am

This probably means that smart people are realizing that law school is a bad idea in most circumstances.

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:11 pm

*sigh* do I have to do this?

Retake

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:12 pm

This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Maybe others would disagree, but I don't really think the test has changed since 2010, so learning the test and cracking a 170+ should theoretically be just as "easy" now as in 2010.

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.

efficient

New

Postby efficient » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 pm

GFox345 wrote:A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.

I believe there is some data to suggest that there has been a change in the attitudes of potential applicants from top colleges during this time frame.

Applicants from top colleges are down 48% since 2010:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2017/03/law-school-applicants-from-top-colleges-increase-1-in-2016-but-down-48-since-2010.html

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 pm

efficient wrote:
GFox345 wrote:A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.

I believe there is some data to suggest that there has been a change in the attitudes of potential applicants from top colleges during this time frame.

Applicants from top colleges are down 48% since 2010:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2017/03/law-school-applicants-from-top-colleges-increase-1-in-2016-but-down-48-since-2010.html

Top college doesn't necessarily mean top LSAT score though. I'm sure the correlation is high, but I don't think it entirely explains this data.

I am skeptical that the test has actually become more difficult. We're dealing with raw numbers, and law school apps have definitely decreased, so the actual % change in top scorers may not be as pronounced, making it more plausible that a slight fluctuation in top scores may actually be the result of self selection among otherwise high scorers.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 pm

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:17 am

All I know is that my LSAT may not have even gotten me into my target schools in 2010, now it got me a full+stipend. I'm a fan of this drop :-)

gwillygecko

Bronze

Postby gwillygecko » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 am

Platopus wrote:This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Maybe others would disagree, but I don't really think the test has changed since 2010, so learning the test and cracking a 170+ should theoretically be just as "easy" now as in 2010.

totally anecdotal, but i took the lsat in both 2009 and 2016, and i feel like it was harder in 2016. i also agree that theres evidence that many potential "top applicants" are not going into law.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Postby Deserving Porcupine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 am

This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am

This is obviously a personal opinion, but when I was prepping for the LSAT I found that my practice scores dropped by a few points when taking the most recent tests. I felt like logic games became less formulaic and the LR had fewer of those questions you can get in like 20 seconds.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am

Confirmed: People are dumber in 2017 than 2010

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

Deserving Porcupine wrote:This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.

I don't think this is necessarily true. There's been a lot of media attention to the problems with law schools, and as the recession has receded, people with top qualifications have more options. The overall numbers are down; in 2010 you had the recession effect sending more people to grad school than you do today.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Deserving Porcupine wrote:This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.

I don't think this is necessarily true. There's been a lot of media attention to the problems with law schools, and as the recession has receded, people with top qualifications have more options. The overall numbers are down; in 2010 you had the recession effect sending more people to grad school than you do today.

As most things in life are, it's probably a mix of both factors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�