Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Claire
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi guys.
I am considering withdraw from the coming LSAT because I am underprepared and not close to my target score. I want to do so because although many people say the schools only consider the highest score, some schools indicate on official websites that they will consider the average (like Harvard). I am afraid that a bad score will harm my application. Or should I just take it and cancel?
I will be very appreciated if anyone can give me advice!

Claire
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:05 pm

BTW, it will be my first attempt and I plan to apply in the coming circle.

pyramidenergy888
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby pyramidenergy888 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Don't go into the test planning to cancel. Either decide to take it and do your best to prepare and hit your target score or wait until September. How set are you on going to school in Fall 2018? If you are dead set on it then maybe just take the test and you have September and December to fall back on. If not, then wait until September. But then you will only have December to fall back on... I don't think most schools really care about anything less than your highest score because that is what they report to the ABA.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby Platopus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:36 pm

I wrote this for another poster that was 10-15 points from his/her target. Not sure how far off you are, but the reasoning still applies. FYI this is just my opinion, do with it what you please.
---------------------------------------------

You can't un-ring the bell. Sure, most schools only consider the highest score, but a 15 point jump is going to require an addendum, and given applicants with otherwise equal stats and backgrounds, I would imagine schools would favor the applicant without the 15 point discrepancy between tests. Sure, a 5 point increase doesn't raise any alarms. But a 15 point increase without a valid reason why you scored so low on the 1st take (illness, death in the family, etc.) I think does raise at least some suspicion. If you were closer, and you actually hit your target a couple times on PT's then I'd advocate taking, but 10-15 points is a lot. Keep in mind it is relative though. It's probably not a huge deal, but it something to keep in mind.

140 --> 155, and most schools probably wouldn't care. A 165 ---180 same deal. But a 155 --> 170 I think raises some doubt in those cases when schools are evaluating otherwise similar applicants.

You also risk getting a similar score the 2nd time around, devaluing a 3rd take if you fail to hit the 2nd time too. For example 155 --> 162 ---> 170 I think looks worse than a 162 --> 170 when schools are evaluating otherwise similar applicants.

Either take the test and live with the score, or withdraw completely. Taking and cancelling puts a little asterisk (metaphorically, not literally), next to your score. A cancel ---> 170 doesn't look nearly the same as a cold 170 if a school is deciding between otherwise identical applicants.

Claire
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you so much. I decide to withdraw from the test next Monday and aim at the September one.
I am current around 163 with a 3.87 GPA and hope eventually to get above 170. The problem is that I have done so few real PTs and need more time to prepare.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Considering withdraw from June LSAT?

Postby Platopus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Claire wrote:Thank you so much. I decide to withdraw from the test next Monday and aim at the September one.
I am current around 163 with a 3.87 GPA and hope eventually to get above 170. The problem is that I have done so few real PTs and need more time to prepare.


Good call, with that GPA you have real shots at the T-14 and $$ if you hit 170+ If you're at 163 now, you still have some improvements to make. A lot of people struggle around the 170 mark, but if you give yourself the time, you'll be fine!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon-e-miss, CALaw717 and 8 guests