Advice on my Admission Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Versailles1919

New

Advice on my Admission Chances

Postby Versailles1919 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi everyone! I recently took the February LSAT and scored a 155 (even though I was practicing in the low 160s). My adjusted LSDAS GPA is 4.07. I will be applying to law school for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle. I am an LGBT applicant, I have a ton of work experience, completed research projects, and received awards. I also want to be an environmental lawyer so I am very active in the PETA and Vegetarian community. I was wondering what my chances of admissions were for top 50 schools like Notre Dame or Boston College. I know their bottom 25% is about 158 but being that I'm a splitter with strong softs, I was wondering if my admissions chances were high. Let me know what you think. I'm also considering retaking the LSAT in September but I really wanted my applications in as early as possible--this is why I took the exam so early to begin with.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: Advice on my Admission Chances

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Retake the LSAT. Especially since you have such a high GPA. Schools can get high GPAs. It's harder for them to get a high LSAT so they don't often take reverse splitters, which is what you are. Even getting into the 160s will help. Reverse splitter cycles don't go as favorably as splitters and you can seriously help your odds by retaking.

What sections hurt you in the LSAT? It's an incredibly learnable test.

Versailles1919

New

Postby Versailles1919 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:26 pm

@IExistedOnceBefore Unfortunately I took the Non-Disclosed exam in February so I don't get the exam back. I never practiced that low before, but I was extremely anxious during the exam and I'm assuming the testing environment got to me. Typically though, LR was the toughest section for me. Games I was -4 tops, but LR was a long battle for sure.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon May 29, 2017 9:24 pm

I agree with the above, absolutely retake, especially since you performed below your PT average. With a 4.07 literally every school is game, you just need to figure out the LSAT now :D Retaking won't hurt your chances at any school, and there's no need to apply this cycle, so you should definitely retake.

Also, the WE helps, but I wouldn't say you have "strong softs". You certainly have the makings for a good narrative for your PS, but your softs are pretty typical for people looking at the top 50 schools. My point being, you are going to need to rely on your numbers more heavily than you might think

celticsfan

New

Postby celticsfan » Mon May 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Please retake, I'd kill for your GPA. If you can crack a 165 (which isn't even asking a lot based on your PT average) you can get into a T13.

Versailles1919

New

Postby Versailles1919 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 pm

@platopus and @celticsfan I actually just registered for the September exam. It was definitely exhausting and disappointing to take the LSAT the first time, but I think I am going to give it a second try. Im working hard on my academic resume, diversity statement, and personal statement this summer so my applications will be ready to go by the time my score comes back. Thanks for the encouragement/advice!

celticsfan

New

Postby celticsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 am

Versailles1919 wrote:@platopus and @celticsfan I actually just registered for the September exam. It was definitely exhausting and disappointing to take the LSAT the first time, but I think I am going to give it a second try. Im working hard on my academic resume, diversity statement, and personal statement this summer so my applications will be ready to go by the time my score comes back. Thanks for the encouragement/advice!

Great decision! Study hard and you'll do great, good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�