Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 pm

What's your LSAT score, OP?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby UVA2B » Wed May 17, 2017 9:40 pm

This would be a strong first showing if a troll. Or it's a really sadly mistaken 0L hoping to treat law school like UG who has done literally zero research on how law schools function and how the entire admissions/transfer/graduate process works.

Not sure which I hope for more.

m16532

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby m16532 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:What's your LSAT score, OP?

I have been practicing and keep getting in the low 170's. Im pretty confident I cant get it up a little. I just ordered a couple Manhattan books.

m16532

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby m16532 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:47 pm

UVA2B wrote:This would be a strong first showing if a troll. Or it's a really sadly mistaken 0L hoping to treat law school like UG who has done literally zero research on how law schools function and how the entire admissions/transfer/graduate process works.

Not sure which I hope for more.

Not a troll. Not sure we people would waste time trolling on such a topic. You are sort of right. I knew it was hard to transfer. I just thought initial admission before enrolling somewhere else and THEN transferring would be differnt. Far fetched, I know. Just thought it was worth asking because no, I'm not an expert

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby UVA2B » Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm

m16532 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:This would be a strong first showing if a troll. Or it's a really sadly mistaken 0L hoping to treat law school like UG who has done literally zero research on how law schools function and how the entire admissions/transfer/graduate process works.

Not sure which I hope for more.

Not a troll. Not sure we people would waste time trolling on such a topic. You are sort of right. I knew it was hard to transfer. I just thought initial admission before enrolling somewhere else and THEN transfeing would be differnt. Far fetched, I know. Just thought it was worth asking because no, I'm not an expert


Well I'm glad you did what was necessary to inform yourself. Harvard, UVA, et. al. are not going to accept your spring start credits for taking Contracts or Civ Pro or [insert doctrinal 1L course] because that's just not how admissions in law schools work. If you go to Spring Start University School of Law and take doctrinal courses, the only way you're enrolling in another university is if you drop out from Spring Start and start afresh in the Fall. There are people who drop out during spring of their 1L year who get to redo their entire 1L year where the previous go around doesn't impact their GPA, but you can't community college a lower tiered university hoping to knock out some doctrinal courses so you can graduate early. lessen course load, or in any way affect your experience at the new university. You either take spring classes, drop out, and start all over from scratch, or you spend an entire year at Spring Start U, pray you get the kind of grades during an entire 1L year that could transfer to the universities you're considering, and transfer at full price.

This is a genuinely bad plan, and I hope you abandon it immediately.

m16532

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby m16532 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
m16532 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
m16532 wrote:So taking classes during the summer cant allow you to even graduate a little early?

No, not at Harvard, but a lot of other schools do allow you do this. Why do you want to?

I want to get my career started as soon as possible. I graduated last year with an Accounting degree. I thought I was going to get a masters in Accounting so I've been studying for the GMAT. I recently realized law is a bigger passion. So in effect, I've been wasting time.


Well, that sounds like a problem on your end. Law school is a three-year curriculum, outside of a few accelerated-JD programs (the only credible T14 one is now defunct, I believe).

Also, if you graduated last year, you're still going to law school early. Honestly, I'd recommend taking more time to get work experience, live in the world, and mature a little. The last one will do wonders for you in law school and in life.

I've read what various Admissions pages have said about work experience. Usually its a brief not so clear statement. Whats the truth regarding this? With good numbers and the fact that I'm a minority matter less than the fact that I have NO professional experience??

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby Mullens » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

m16532 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
m16532 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
m16532 wrote:So taking classes during the summer cant allow you to even graduate a little early?

No, not at Harvard, but a lot of other schools do allow you do this. Why do you want to?

I want to get my career started as soon as possible. I graduated last year with an Accounting degree. I thought I was going to get a masters in Accounting so I've been studying for the GMAT. I recently realized law is a bigger passion. So in effect, I've been wasting time.


Well, that sounds like a problem on your end. Law school is a three-year curriculum, outside of a few accelerated-JD programs (the only credible T14 one is now defunct, I believe).

Also, if you graduated last year, you're still going to law school early. Honestly, I'd recommend taking more time to get work experience, live in the world, and mature a little. The last one will do wonders for you in law school and in life.

I've read what various Admissions pages have said about work experience. Usually its a brief not so clear statement. Whats the truth regarding this? With good numbers and the fact that I'm a minority matter less than the fact that I have NO professional experience??


What type of minority? And all else equal, work experience always helps.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 pm

I think this falls squarely in the category of 'take an actual LSAT and get a reportable score, then get accepted to a T14 and then come back and ask this thing again'.

The reason? If you can do those things, you'd already know why this is a stupid question.

m16532

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby m16532 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Mullens wrote:
m16532 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
m16532 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
m16532 wrote:So taking classes during the summer cant allow you to even graduate a little early?

No, not at Harvard, but a lot of other schools do allow you do this. Why do you want to?

I want to get my career started as soon as possible. I graduated last year with an Accounting degree. I thought I was going to get a masters in Accounting so I've been studying for the GMAT. I recently realized law is a bigger passion. So in effect, I've been wasting time.


Well, that sounds like a problem on your end. Law school is a three-year curriculum, outside of a few accelerated-JD programs (the only credible T14 one is now defunct, I believe).

Also, if you graduated last year, you're still going to law school early. Honestly, I'd recommend taking more time to get work experience, live in the world, and mature a little. The last one will do wonders for you in law school and in life.

I've read what various Admissions pages have said about work experience. Usually its a brief not so clear statement. Whats the truth regarding this? With good numbers and the fact that I'm a minority matter less than the fact that I have NO professional experience??


What type of minority? And all else equal, work experience always helps.

African American male

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby Mullens » Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm

m16532 wrote:
Mullens wrote:
m16532 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
m16532 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
m16532 wrote:So taking classes during the summer cant allow you to even graduate a little early?

No, not at Harvard, but a lot of other schools do allow you do this. Why do you want to?

I want to get my career started as soon as possible. I graduated last year with an Accounting degree. I thought I was going to get a masters in Accounting so I've been studying for the GMAT. I recently realized law is a bigger passion. So in effect, I've been wasting time.


Well, that sounds like a problem on your end. Law school is a three-year curriculum, outside of a few accelerated-JD programs (the only credible T14 one is now defunct, I believe).

Also, if you graduated last year, you're still going to law school early. Honestly, I'd recommend taking more time to get work experience, live in the world, and mature a little. The last one will do wonders for you in law school and in life.

I've read what various Admissions pages have said about work experience. Usually its a brief not so clear statement. Whats the truth regarding this? With good numbers and the fact that I'm a minority matter less than the fact that I have NO professional experience??


What type of minority? And all else equal, work experience always helps.

African American male


You'll be fine. AA male is the biggest bump in law school admissions. Work experience would still help you at the margins but you're not getting denied because of a lack of it if the rest of your application is competitive

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby mcmand » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 am

...
Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cron1834

Gold
Posts: 2299
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby cron1834 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 am

AA bump or not, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that OP won't have to worry about registration policies at Harvard anytime soon...

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby amta » Thu May 18, 2017 6:22 pm

i think this thread got me high.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Accepted to t14 however *start* elsewhere?

Postby Rigo » Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Didn't read all responses so not sure if it's been said, but the 1L curriculum is different among schools too. Some schools only offer civpro in the spring and contracts in the fall for instance. So a spring semester at Villinova might not be compatabile with a Harvard fall semester.

I have a friend who had to take spring semester off 1L and he couldn't go back to school until the following spring since he had already taken the classes offered in the fall. So it probably wouldn't even save you time if it was allowed (it's probably not).



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 27 guests